Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

I can't decide if we get a creditable draw and we take our hopes to the last group game or if we fall to a hard fought defeat and our dreams are over for another couple of years?

9 hours to go so I will get more optimistic as the day progresses.

WILLIAM TELL! ARE YOU LISTENING, WILLIAM TELL? ROGER FEDERER! MARTINA HINGIS! TOBLERONE! EMMENTAL! SWATCH! ARE YOU LISTENING????

I think your team are probably gonnae win tonight. That's all.

I had one of the best footballing experiences of my life in Switzerland (Lucerne v Grasshoppers, full stadium, terracing, last minute winner. Scenes. Marvellous) and it was cheaper than anything else there (£9 for a ticket on the fucking half way line).

I hope they're crying into their shitey tubs of melted cheese tonight.

4-0 Switzerland. Einstein and Federer with injury time scores.

image.jpeg.1ffea0b6530153d144651ade049ac015.jpeg

Beating Switzerland Paul is like making love to a beautiful woman…

First you need to establish your position on the field of play, firm at the base, wide in the middle with a a strong core, and a penetrating attack at the top. 

Then you need to ease into game gently, don't go charging in straight away, but slowly feel your way in, testing and teasing the opposition. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, you slip one through and if you're lucky you can get round the back and fire it home.

Finally you can sit back, light up your pipe and take the applause of the admiring crowd.

I am struggling to get any enthusiasm for this game. The disgrace of Friday and zero attempts at goal, not even on target, leaves me empty.

If Clarke does not start Gilmore, and admit he got it wrong on Friday then god help us. 

I can see an easy 2-0 defeat today and us beating Hungary 3-0 in the last game when it doesn't matter. 

Hopefully I'll be more up for it by 8.

Just now, Ayrfix said:

I am struggling to get any enthusiasm for this game. The disgrace of Friday and zero attempts at goal, not even on target, leaves me empty.

If Clarke does not start Gilmore, and admit he got it wrong on Friday then god help us. 

I can see an easy 2-0 defeat today and us beating Hungary 3-0 in the last game when it doesn't matter. 

Hopefully I'll be more up for it by 8.

We'll lack nothing in spirit, but the ability thing worries me greatly.  I've watched every game and we're currently a mile off it.

6 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Hopefully none of our centre halfs absolutely cement someone in the penalty box this time

Hanley is a worry.

He's been great for us in recent years, but seems to have regressed a bit towards the early days, when he was totally capable of a wild assault on an unsuspecting foreigner.

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has this gif ever led to a team winning?

Out of interest is it the Nazi gold thing or just that they are so bland?

I have no idea - bigotry rarely makes sense.

I think I've just seen them in so many dull, pointless matches that I associate them with boredom now. That, and they were awarded a European Championships which (according to the press) was an odd affair to attend because the locals didn't seem to give much of a shit. Also, I tend to get them in sweeps when they're fecking useless.

In fairness their team has been much more interesting in the past few tournaments, although they still have that "filler" feel of a side who are never going to bother the business end of the tournament. I understand that's the reputation that Scotland used to have in some parts of the world back when we were regular qualifiers for things, so perhaps there's a bit of this meme going on here:

bekphnqftcb41.jpg

1 hour ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Tell you what, we're the only team not to have turned up so far. Even relative dross like Georgia, Albania and Slovenia have put in a big effort, shown considerable technical ability, attacking impetus and aggression.

Minter tonight if it's more of the same from us.

This is it, it's about getting the balance right. We got the balance way wrong and just invited Germany on to us. Not enough forward to even muster a counter attack.

Clarke needs to learn and fast, that wasn't cutting it at tournament football. Didn't last time and was worse this time.

Saying that I do think/hope we will get it right tonight.