HUNGARY V SWITZERLAND - the best outcome?

nate

Don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to a stress-free triple header of top football today not involving Scotland. 2pm’s Hung/Swiss game has clearly got implications for us, but what is our preferred outcome here? 0-0? One team thrashing the other? Something else? Am still too woozy to work this one out. What do you think?

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to a stress-free triple header of top football today not involving Scotland. 2pm’s Hung/Swiss game has clearly got implications for us, but what is our preferred outcome here? 0-0? One team thrashing the other? Something else? Am still too woozy to work this one out. What do you think?

It's trivial but you might want this moved to the Euro 2024 forum, if not only because someone will probably start a duplicate thread there.

18 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

0-0 in a fiesty encounter that sees red cards dished out to the best players in both teams, and a handful of injuries scattered around the remaining best players. Nothing too serious, just enough to hobble them for a fortnight. 

Yes, this would be perfect.

6 minutes ago, allyo said:

I don't think it makes much difference. With the 4 3rd places teams qualifying, and 3 points now very unlikely to get us through, I think our target is set at 4 points regardless of other games.

I'd say just enjoy the game

I think a draw would be ideal because with us needing 4 (and 6 to make sure of it), a draw here would mean that if we get our 4 then then we’d be 2nd unless one of Hungary/Switzerland beat Germany. 

If one team wins this and then draws with us, there’s a high risk we’d finish third on GD even if we got to 4 points. 4 would probably be enough to be one of the best four 3rd placed teams, but I wouldn’t completely bank on it given our terrible GD.

Edited by JS_FFC

If Hungary beat Swiss by one goal then we still get 2nd place if we beat Hungary by two goals even if we lose to  Swiss by one goal. Assuming Germany win all their games. I think that is the case as a three way tie on 3 points is settled by GD between the three tied teams. So maybe we want Hungary to just sneak it today?

Yeah, ultimately a draw is probably best for us as it reduces opposition points earned by one obviously. If there's to be a winner, then I'd prefer a Swiss win rather than a Hungarian one just because if the Swiss lose, especially if they do so by more than one goal, then Wednesday probably becomes a loser is out contest. Plus there's a fair chance Germany batter Hungary also while we're playing the Swiss and they could then be out to all intents before we play them.