Big Team Found!

johnnydun

27 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

My Dad was shot at in Albania.

I cannot support them.

Hide contents

They missed.

My Grandad was shot at in France 80 years ago this month. 

They missed too. 

Spoiler

But the schweinhunds still got onto the beach. 

So it’s Germany for me.

And Argentina in the World Cup. 

Ze Germans are usually tremendous to watch, so normally I'd be delighted that they're back on form. Normally. They don't really get much credit for being both gracious winners and losers too.

I have warm feelings for France and the Dutch as they're always entertaining too. Also happy when the Danes and Romania do well, and have a wee soft spot for Belgium, although losing to Slovakia in that manner was very funny. Elsewhere, always in favour of the diddies and underdogs, although I can't quite find it within me to support Georgia purely out of petty bitterness. I'll still be delighted for them if they can pull off a win against Portugal, though.

Teams I don't like? I have intense, irrational feelings, verging on bigotry, about the Swiss. They can get fucked. I sat through their notorious World Cup game against Ukraine, who can also GTF, that somehow got one of them a quarter-final place while simultaneously killing football for anyone who saw it. I don't think I've ever seen a match featuring Ukraine that they didn't try to turn into a dung heap, and they always seem to amount to less than the sum of their parts. I've never liked Portugal much either, and I don't think it's residual bitterness from the 5-0 game as I didn't like them much before that either. Their teams just always have the air that they're really hot shit in their own minds, epitomised by CR7's grief-stricken, shocked reactions whenever they don't win a tournament.

There's another nation in the latter category, but we'll not mention them. I've actually found myself feeling sorry for their players more and more over the decades, as their media aren't half a bunch of c***s.

Holland - Lived right on the Dutch / German border when I was in the RAF and spent a lot of time in Holland, also have them in my works sweep. 

56 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Also happy when the Danes and Romania do well, 

Don’t mind the Danes, always been happy for them to do well on account of being a Peter Schmeichel fan when i was growing up. So much so, that when i concede a goal at football, i will blame my defence. 
Romania i didn’t used to mind, especially after them beating England in Euro 2000. But they beat me on Fifa a few years ago and i now hold a grudge. 

14 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Germany.  Always there or thereabouts in the last stages. Know how to win tournaments.

Germany got knocked out the group stage of the World Cup in 2018, the last 16 of the 2020 Euros and the group stage again in the 2022 World Cup. This is a historically bad Germany side, who are still capable of winning the thing. 

Stuck money on France winning this a couple years ago, so them.

Won't be mad if they lose out to an underdog. Basically anyone other than Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, and England.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Germany got knocked out the group stage of the World Cup in 2018, the last 16 of the 2020 Euros and the group stage again in the 2022 World Cup. This is a historically bad Germany side, who are still capable of winning the thing. 

I think the signs are that Germany have improved considerably since those blips. I hope so or we're even worse than we think.

I am the only Scot in my family. My Dad ,Mum and brother are English and my partner is Welsh.

My parents moved up to Scotland as my Dad got transfered with his job. 

I have good banter with the family when the football is on. 

Anyway I will be wanting England to win if we go out, purely because it would make my family happy.

1 hour ago, Big Bobo said:

I am the only Scot in my family. My Dad ,Mum and brother are English and my partner is Welsh.

My parents moved up to Scotland as my Dad got transfered with his job. 

I have good banter with the family when the football is on. 

Anyway I will be wanting England to win if we go out, purely because it would make my family happy.

That's a pretty piss poor reason for wanting England to win, imvho.

7 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Don’t mind the Danes, always been happy for them to do well on account of being a Peter Schmeichel fan when i was growing up. So much so, that when i concede a goal at football, i will blame my defence. 
Romania i didn’t used to mind, especially after them beating England in Euro 2000. But they beat me on Fifa a few years ago and i now hold a grudge. 

The Laudrups for me. I vaguely remember Michael tearing Uruguay apart at Mexico 86 which, considering what a shitfesting bunch of cloggers they'd degenerated to by that point, automatically makes Denmark good guys for life.

I love Romania for USA 94 - seemed like they had a great team spirit, and were really unfortunate not to get past the Swedes in the quarter finals. Final of that tournament should've been Romania v Bulgaria IMO, and we might have actually had a chance at an entertaining match. They've usually been quite entertaining any time I've seen them TBH, even since the glory days - only saw bits of the Ukraine game, but I was wishing I could've seen more.

3 minutes ago, Girth said:

Scotland

Doesn't count. We're all hoping Scotland win, except for a couple of ghosts at the feast who are praying we get hammered so they can gloat about being right.

On 18/06/2024 at 19:05, johnnydun said:

Club affiliation means I have a soft spot for Denmark, Georgia and Italy, I also enjoy Italy's way of shit festing games. Really enjoy Germany's playing style.

Carlo Monti?