Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

It's scripted ain't it - us performing underwhelmingly and Ingerlund going on to win the whole thing.

Thanks Steve for what you have done - taken us from where we are at after the absolutely disgraceful appointment of Alex McLeish to getting us regularly qualifying for big tournaments.  Can't be understated what an amazing job you've done.  But it's now time for change, with the next Nations League/WC Qualis being an opportunity to shake up the squad and maybe part of a greater reset.

In some ways I understand why Clarke approached tonight like he did, but he was simply not brave enough and I'd have rather taken defeat via us going all out than how it ended tonight.

Time for the SFA to consider where they see us going forward - we've got to Group A of the Nations League and we are - supposedly - fighting to compete with the Tier A sides.  If we want to be the first Scotland side to regularly get out of group stages at the major events, we need to determine our strategy for doing so - sadly don't see that with Steve Clarke at the helm.

Also to add, it says a lot that we were brighter when we introduced some fresh blood - Morgan and Shankland in particular - however, as soon as McLean was put in for Robertson at left back, you knew we'd be rinsed there, and so it proved.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Why did he lose his job in that case?

Are ye actually having a laugh? Moyes is a fucking tremendous manager. Yes he sets up in a defensive manner but he still actually wins matches. It was West Ham, they are utterly shite, have always been shite, they won a european trophy, west ham, Moyes would be a great appointment. 

3 minutes ago, St Innes said:

And Hungary sat back the first 10 minutes inviting Scotland on. Unfortunately Scotland refused the invite.

Yup they allowed our full backs to press forward and link up and we offered nothing. It isn't just a coaching issue, it's the players. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

No he wasn't. It's at the very least, tight. 

Screenshot_20240623-221551.png

I was looking at the paused on the TV as I wrote it. It's not even close. He's onside. 

Just now, Arthurlie1981 said:

It’s not just tonight or this tournament, our whole set up from youth football all the way to the top domestically is shite. Why do all our talented youngster end up in English academies, cause ours are shite. Even bang average Championship and League 1 sides have better training facilities than we do. 

Calum McGregor is by far the best midfielder in the SPFL, but is below average at International level, same with Shankland. Then there is the fact we are dominated by 2 teams who would mainly rather sign foreign players rather than develop players from their own academies (with some exceptions). 

Could we have been more attacking, of course but I don’t think we have the talent to create or take any chances and more likely than not we would have been picked on the counter like we were at the end. Let’s be honest we should have been 1 down at the half. 

Tonight is no more Clarke’s fault than it is the collective failure of Scottish football. We won’t get any better than this. 

PS it was a stonewall penalty. 

It's because of money.

Money is the answer you're looking for.

I think Clarke has taken the squad as far as he can and it’s time for someone else to have a go.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've mentioned this before but we are getting worse rather than better.

There are really no quality young players coming through except Lennon Miller and maybe one or two others.  Meanwhile all our top players are peak, or past peak.

Yeah.  Nobody to back up Gunn, nobody up front other than Adams and Dykes, and most of the midfield over 30.  

Just now, NorthBank said:

A must win game and all we do is side and back passes. Dire.

Clarke has done all he can. His play this tournament has been too conservative and negative. He's too stubborn and rigid.

Shankland did more in ten minutes than Adams in 3 games.

You'd rather get pumped than lose it like that - Hungary the better side but on another day we might've done it

We'd probably have still gone out but injuries, including presumably Robertson at the end, didn't do us any favours

Scotland at tournaments is fucking traumatising.

Hopefully thats the last we see of any relevance paid to MLS players. A shite league that lacks the quality of the top ones and the intensity of the rest.

Edited by Benidorm

Just now, SpoonTon said:

I was looking at the paused on the TV as I wrote it. It's not even close. He's onside. 

It's extremely close. From the zoom out it doesn't look close but from the zoom in I reckon Armstrong's shoulder is probably the furthest thing forward. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are ye actually having a laugh? Moyes is a fucking tremendous manager. Yes he sets up in a defensive manner but he still actually wins matches. It was West Ham, they are utterly shite, have always been shite, they won a european trophy, west ham, Moyes would be a great appointment. 

Ok - matter of opinion but Steve Clarke's team won the first five games of qualifying.  I don't believe Moyes would be an improvement but I can't prove that.