Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

Thought now is a good time to start this since we have our first confirmed match.

Switzerland v Italy, Saturday 29th June, 5pm (Berlin)

Germany v Denmark, Saturday 29th June, 8pm (Dortmund)

England v Slovakia, Sunday 30th June, 5pm (Gelsenkirchen)

Spain v Georgia, Sunday 30th June, 8pm (Cologne)

France v Belgium, Monday 1st July, 5pm (Düsseldorf)

Portugal v Slovenia, Monday 1st July, 8pm (Frankfurt)

Romania v Netherlands, Tuesday 2nd July, 5pm (Munich)

Austria v Türkiye, Tuesday 2nd July, 8pm (Leipzig)

I fancy Switzerland to end Italy’s title defence and I don’t think it’ll even be that close IMO. 

Spain and Germany could be a QF for the ages.

Edited by JS_FFC

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

England's route opening up for a last 16 v Dukla Pumpherston, Quarter against Walmington on Sea Rovers and a Semi against San Marino as usual?

Czechia or Türkiye most likely in the last 16. Switzerland or Italy in the quarters, but then France in the semis.

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

I fancy Switzerland to end Italy’s title defence and I don’t think it’ll even be that close IMO. 

Spain and Germany could be a QF for the ages.

I agree about the Swiss - however, Italy have extensive form in being mince at the start of tournaments they go on to win.

Spain v Germany screams "final everyone wanted to see between sides who don't win the actual final".

Last night’s results mean that England, France and Netherlands are all through regardless of their result tonight. They could still finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in their group but even if they fell to 3rd they’d be guaranteed to be one of the top 4.

Hungary also go through tonight if Slovenia fail to beat England.

Posted (edited)

We know 11 of the last 16 now. 5 places remain with 7 teams doing battle for 4 or 5 spots and Hungary sweating it out. Poland, Scotland, Albania, Croatia and Serbia are all out. All 7 of the teams with something to play for today are have qualification in their own hands.

In Group E at 5pm Belgium (against Ukraine), Romania and Slovakia (against each other) all need only a point to qualify. Ukraine must beat Belgium to ensure qualification but a point will be enough if the other game isn’t a draw.

In Group F at 8pm, Türkiye need just a point against Czechia to guarantee second place. They are probably through regardless unless they lose heavily or any defeat combined with a Georgia win over Portugal. 

Both Czechia and Georgia are in a position where a win will send them through but any dropped points will eliminate them.

The Hungarian situation is complicated. They need one of the following scenarios to happen:

- Czechia and Georgia both drop points. This is the most likely scenario.

- Georgia drop points and Czechia beat Türkiye 3+ goals. 

- Ukraine and Slovakia both lose with Ukraine losing by 2+ goals. 

- Belgium and Slovakia both lose with Slovakia losing by 4+ goals.

- Belgium and Romania both lose with Belgium losing by 4+ goals. 

- Ukraine and Romania both lose with Romania losing by 6+ goals.

The group E scenario is complicated for Hungary because we use head to head to break the tie within the group to see who finishes 3rd but then use goal difference to rank them in the 3rd place table. 

Edited by JS_FFC

29 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

Get your money on the Czechs beating Turkey by a single goal which, I think, will let both teams progress to the last 16. (assuming Georgia don't beat Portugal)

If Türkiye lose and go through in 3rd though, they’d play Spain. If they get a point and finish 2nd it’s Austria. I can’t see the Turks agreeing to carve out a 1-0 defeat that would put them on the hard side of the draw.

7 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

If Türkiye lose and go through in 3rd though, they’d play Spain. If they get a point and finish 2nd it’s Austria. I can’t see the Turks agreeing to carve out a 1-0 defeat that would put them on the hard side of the draw.

Agreed, they'll not carve it out. But if they are two down with a few minutes to go and know losing a 3rd puts them out I'm not convinced they'll try too hard to do anything other than make sure they don't lose one.

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Agreed, they'll not carve it out. But if they are two down with a few minutes to go and know losing a 3rd puts them out I'm not convinced they'll try too hard to do anything other than make sure they don't lose one.

Similarly there’s a lot of talk of a carve out with Romania and Slovakia. Worth noting though that if Romania win and Belgium slip up then Romania win the group and they’ll play Slovenia and be in the easier side of the draw whereas 2nd/3rd means playing France or Spain.

Bizarrely none of the teams in group E have winning the group in their own hands.

Belgium need a win and Slovakia to drop points.

Slovakia need a win and Ukraine to drop points.

Ukraine need a win and Romania to drop points.

Romania need a win and Belgium to drop points, or a point and the other game to also be a draw.

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Similarly there’s a lot of talk of a carve out with Romania and Slovakia. Worth noting though that if Romania win and Belgium slip up then Romania win the group and they’ll play Slovenia and be in the easier side of the draw whereas 2nd/3rd means playing France or Spain.

3rd in Group E will play England if Hungary get papped oot. 

On 25/06/2024 at 07:04, JS_FFC said:

Hungary also go through tonight if Slovenia fail to beat England.

Did you forget about Group F? Hungary won't now.

Georgia going to be playing Spain in the Euros knockouts despite shipping seven goals to them at home in the qualifiers.

5 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Did you forget about Group F? Hungary won't now.

Georgia going to be playing Spain in the Euros knockouts despite shipping seven goals to them at home in the qualifiers.

Should have said “if Slovenia lose to england”. My bad. 

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

How did it get decided England would play Slovakia and not Netherlands?

Group F supplying the final 3rd place team, instead of Hungary from Group A, changes the permutations of where the 3rd placed sides end up in draw.

The table with the various formula is on wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_knockout_stage