Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

27 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

England doing their absolute best to win me the sweepstake. 

Snap, that’s the only plus side to their inept performance and how jammy they have been with the way the draw has panned out. 
I would happily forgo my winnings though and have a toblerone instead. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

It is a huge shame Spain and Germany play each other next. The two best teams in the tournament. 

Spain, Germany, France, Portugal and Belgium all on the same side of the draw.

England on the other.

I support Switzerland in this because I have been to their country and appreciated their mountain scenery, efficient trains etc.

I cannot support England as I have never been there.*

* Yes, a humungous lie. I'm rarely away from the place 

Currently in Vancouver and while checking in for a tour girl asked where I was from. Replied Scotland to which she asked, in all innocence, how I was enjoying England’s progress! She was surprised when I told her I was now supporting ABE and had to explain it to her and she saw the funny side.

/ˈmansplāniNG/

Noun 

40 minutes ago, Crazy Days said:

Currently in Vancouver and while checking in for a tour girl asked where I was from. Replied Scotland to which she asked, in all innocence, how I was enjoying England’s progress! She was surprised when I told her I was now supporting ABE and had to explain it to her and she saw the funny side.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Spain, Germany, France, Portugal and Belgium all on the same side of the draw.

England on the other.

Aye, but for all the "easy side of the draw" chat, every single other team on that side should be thinking "thank f**k it's England". 

You can overlook one iffy performance and think "oh, they'll get better as the tournament goes on", but outside of the first 20 minutes v's Serbia they have been utterly abject, so I think you can conclude that the plodding, pedestrian, mundane England we saw v's Slovakia, Slovenia, Denmark, and the remainder of the Serbia game is the real England, and there's no Scooby Doo mask to pull off. None of the teams left in the competition should have the slightest bit of fear at the prospect of playing them, and I just hope that Austria, Netherlands, or whoever they run into don't go out and play them on reputation rather than performance.

7 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

I remain convinced England are going to win this. 

Me too. It would be weirdly fitting if they win every game by being utterly stinking. 

Take over from Greece as the worst ever winners of an international tournament 

I have to say, despite another gift wrapped route to the final, which seems to be the norm for them these days, they're making very heavy weather of it.  

France v Belgium first up today at 5pm. France still decent enough, but not looking on top form yet. Up against the very jaded looking golden generation of Belgium. Not sure they can even pass for bronze these days. I’m thinking it’ll be a fairy low scoring game with France winning.

Nice little interview with ex-Spurs Ramon Vega, on Talksport.  Half-Swiss, half-Chas n Dave.  Amazing that the presenters have suddenly realised Big Xhaka is a good player. To be fair, the presenters are not trying to polish a turd when discussing the performance.

France are a bit like England - a lot of expectation and also fancied to win the tournament, but they've been guff so far. Unlike England they didn't win their group and therefore ended up in the difficult side of the draw. 

Maybe this will be the day they kick into life. But then I thought that yesterday with England and they were not good at all.