Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

Just remembered Denmark were cheated out of a shootout against England last time round with Sterling’s dive. Rough way to get dumped out of successive Euros.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Just remembered Denmark were cheated out of a shootout against England last time round with Sterling’s dive. Rough way to get dumped out of successive Euros.

I think you would stretching it to say Denmark had been 'cheated' out of these Euros.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Cheers. I had it in my head that the UK nations had signed up to a gentleman's agreement not to use the residency qualification or have I made that up?

Doesn't apply to England.

Ask John Barnes

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Pulling someone's shirt isn't in itself a foul, though. It only becomes one if you impede the player who's shirt your are pulling's ability to play the ball by doing so.

This simply isn't true. Pulling someone's shirt 90 yards from the ball is still a foul. VAR might not choose to intervene on ones which don't directly impact the ball on the "obvious error" basis, but it is absolutely still a foul.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Pulling someone's shirt isn't in itself a foul, though. It only becomes one if you impede the player who's shirt your are pulling's ability to play the ball by doing so.

How can you pull somebody's shirt and by definition not impede their ability to play the ball?

I can't imagine pulling their shirt helps them to play the ball in anyway!

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Cheers. I had it in my head that the UK nations had signed up to a gentleman's agreement not to use the residency qualification or have I made that up?

There isn't a gentleman's agreement any more, it is fully part of the UEFA eligibility rules. However, any player who has spent at least 5 years in full-time education in any country of the UK can play for that country.

Just now, Binos said:

Best game of tournament so far,  for me

Proper game of football 

By two really good teams. It’s been tremendous.  Only lacking a malicious red.  

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think you would stretching it to say Denmark had been 'cheated' out of these Euros.

I didn’t say they were cheated out of this one tbf. But they were in the last one and they’ve been on the end of two ridiculous decisions tonight.

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think the agreement is that if you moved there while still at school it's ok.

It's why Peter Pawlett could be called up for Scotland despite having no Scottish heritage.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I didn’t say they were cheated out of this one tbf. But they were in the last one and they’ve been on the end of two ridiculous decisions tonight.

They might be arguable but I don't think you could define them as ridiculous imo

Edited by Alert Mongoose