Middle class Scottish things

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I expect to pay through the nose if I buy a snack when I'm in the garage getting petrol, but I wouldn't chose to go to a foodhall to do my normal food shopping. You're absolutely correct about Gousto/Just Fresh, I just don't see the point, and the packaging waste and food miles associated with them must be horrendous.

Gousto and hello fresh always have offers on so they’ll give you something like 50% off first box then the next 3 for 80% full price or something then when offer runs out you just cancel it then go to the other one for a month or so. We have never paid full price for it - I think full price for 2 of us having 3 dinners is £35 for the box, it’s more than you’d pay for the ingredients in the shop but it’s fairly convenient and the meals are nice.

Packaging isnt that bad - one big carb board box and then the chilled stuff is wrapped in a bag with glass wool and ice bags to keep it cool and then each individual meal which ingredients don’t need to be chilled are in a separate paper bag.

Surprised at the Lidl/Aldi suggestions. Over here in Ireland, it’s now quite fashionable for the middle class to go to both supermarkets and subsequently boast about it. 

In the same breath, you’ll be publicly flogged if you don’t buy gold circle tickets for gigs. 

Going back to work after your 10% pay increase has been negotiated and hanging your support staff out to dry on the 2% increase they need to avoid being poorer.

Being unable to see any of the Dundee guid pubs on the march to the Wine Press, then complaining that they don't have any Bordeaux wines before loudly discussing the merits of 'fine cheese'.

12 hours ago, orfc said:

In edinboroughshire:

Being skint even though you earn 80k cos you send your kids to private school

Going to the autumn internationals at Murrayfield

Looking forward to the festival rather than dreading it for fucking up the buses

Exhibitions at the national museum / moma

Paying 500k for a tenement flat with a 'F' energy rating

Insisting on cycling in a city with near hors categorie climbs on commutes

That's an "apartment", surely?

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

Gousto and hello fresh always have offers on so they’ll give you something like 50% off first box then the next 3 for 80% full price or something then when offer runs out you just cancel it then go to the other one for a month or so. We have never paid full price for it - I think full price for 2 of us having 3 dinners is £35 for the box, it’s more than you’d pay for the ingredients in the shop but it’s fairly convenient and the meals are nice.

Packaging isnt that bad - one big carb board box and then the chilled stuff is wrapped in a bag with glass wool and ice bags to keep it cool and then each individual meal which ingredients don’t need to be chilled are in a separate paper bag.

Brilliant!

26 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Folk (usually women) who have a "telephone voice" when answering in case it's someone "important" then reverting to their normal voice if it's Senga frae number 33.

I have a telephone voice but that's because I do not like talking on the phone and prefer to pretend it's someone else answering the phone.

Me. 

I don't have purple tights but will have san pelegrino with a meal deal. 

One trait of the Scottish Middle classes is to be embarrassed about it and pretend to be working class, despite working in proffessions owning their own home, having investments etc. Guessing some posters on this thread included. 

The old Victorian british class constructs don't really apply today. In Marxist terms  i'd be proletariat because i don't own the means of production. So i'd like to base my inverted sobbery on despising the Bourgoise. 

Dinner parties

I've developed a telephone voice because people had trouble understanding what I was saying over the phone when I lived Darn Sarf. Eventually the "I'm repeating this slowly and with careful diction" voice becomes the one you use without realising it, like I subconsciously picked up an American drawl for a while because they understood me better when I lived there.

My mother's quite funny on the phone. Not only does she have a faux-posh phone voice, but she also ties herself in knots trying to explain herself in ways that she wouldn't do in person. A simple call to request a new bank card turns into a detailed explanation of why she needs it, what the problem was with the old one, and what she was doing when she realised that it was going to be necessary. I can almost feel the person on the other end of the line thinking...

YARN | - Get on with it. - Yes! Get on with it! | Monty Python and the Holy  Grail | Video clips by quotes | 35e5ce85 | 紗

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Me. 

I don't have purple tights but will have san pelegrino with a meal deal. 

One trait of the Scottish Middle classes is to be embarrassed about it and pretend to be working class, despite working in proffessions owning their own home, having investments etc. Guessing some posters on this thread included. 

The old Victorian british class constructs don't really apply today. In Marxist terms  i'd be proletariat because i don't own the means of production. So i'd like to base my inverted sobbery on despising the Bourgoise. 

Dinner parties

Are you honestly suggesting that ‘owning their own home’ is synonymous with being middle class?

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

Has ever fired a gun at a living animal though it's not your job

Does this include firing the Super Soaker at the neighbours' noisy dog?

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Are you honestly suggesting that ‘owning their own home’ is synonymous with being middle class?

Not for much longer.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think very few people are "honestly suggesting" anything on this subject; and, shouldn't you be out looking for Jay?

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes. It's not my fault that the concept is outdated and irrelevant. 

Think of garden centres when considering dining options.

ETA: a trait restricted to women.  If you see men sitting alone in a GC restaurant then they're waiting on their other halves, or mother (in law).

Edited by Hedgecutter