What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

When Labour make reductions in unprotected areas..of course its major Austerity.(and, despite the Tories having left a £22 million hole, its Labour's fault)...when other parties slash £500 million from public services, end a promise for Universal Free School Meals, and freeze the Council Tax to appease middle class voters and thereby starve local authorities of property funding, its 'balancing thr budget' and of course 'Westminster's fault' 

Couldn't take a blowtorch to their neck 

Note: Didnt 'name' any party in particular 

Edited by Jedi2

1 hour ago, Jedi2 said:

When Labour make reductions in unprotected areas..of course its major Austerity.(and, despite the Tories having left a £22 million hole, its Labour's fault)...when other parties slash £500 million from public services, end a promise for Universal Free School Meals, and freeze the Council Tax to appease middle class voters and thereby starve local authorities of property funding, its 'balancing thr budget' and of course 'Westminster's fault' 

Do Labour at Westminster have control of all fiscal levers, including printing more money when they want quantative easing? 

Does the "other" party (who Jedi seems to be unable to name) have to operate within a fixed budget, which is currently set by Labour?

As ever, he compares apples with orahges

Edited by lichtgilphead

What is this "111 helpline for Mental Health Support" about exactly?

Before now, anyone can phone 111 regarding a mental health issue, and they'll simply refer you to either a GP, or recommend you go to A&E if the matter is pressing enough.

You can't triage someone effectively over the phone, so unless it's just an NHS version of the Samaritans helpline, what is it precisely, and how is it any different to what has always been the status quo?

Edited by Boo Khaki

In 8 weeks labour have -

1. Starved families from having more than 2 children because if they do they will not receive child benefit for them.

2. Removed the Winter fuel payment for pensioners that have just over £11k a year.

3.  Supported Israel in the middle east despite them trying to wipe Gaza of the planet.

4. Still support the racist madness that is brexit.

5. Still not have taken 1% of a wealth tax of the rich to wipe of the debt.

6. Claimed that they have just found out that there is a £20 billion debt in the UK despite everyone with a brain cell knew that this was the case before the general election when the IFS told  the tories and labour that this was the case.

7. Everywhere Kid Starver, Rachel Freeze and the rest of his racist party is seen it has to have a union jack at the back of them.

8. It is undermining devolution by giving more money to the former only labour in the village (Ian Murray) than it does to the Scottish Government in Hollyrood.

9. It has taken the whip from 7 labour MP's for telling the truth of the labour party under kid starver.

10.  A labour councillor wanting to slit the throat of a far right protester.

11. Giving money to train drivers and bin collectors who always will be on strike regardless of how much money you give them.

12. Just like the tories labour are guilty of cronyism with Lord Alli giving more than £500k to the labour party to get the title of Lord.

13. Want to swap Rwanda to Estonia to send immigrants to.

14.   Corby labour mayor steps down after being suspended from the party but no  reason given. Corby mayor steps down after being suspended from the Labour Party (northantstelegraph.co.uk)

15. Jonathan Ashworth having a say on labour policy despite losing his seat at the general election.

16. Labour donor Ian Rosenblatt being racist with a black lawyer

and last but not least

17. Labour just like the tories couldn't give a toss about the working class as has been shown in their policies in their first 2 months of government.

So @Jedi2 we both can play that game.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/keir-starmer-painful-budget-austerity-b2608764.html?utm_source=reddit.com

I know its going to be a shitshow, but im morbidly curious just how f**ked the October 30th budget is going to be.

On 05/09/2024 at 22:12, Jedi2 said:

Screenshot_20240908_001951_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d805f345c31d219f8d65db087f33690c.jpg

"Pensioners lives matter" - not according to Starmer and Reeves and New Labour.

I would take the knee but I'm a wee bit stecky and might have trouble getting up again !

Thanks a bunch. My wife and I have just lost £600.00.

Still I hear all SNP MP's will join the opposition in voting against the Labour Government raid on the pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance. I'm not sure they realise they will be voting against their own policy:whistle

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

"Pensioners lives matter" - not according to Starmer and Reeves and New Labour.

I would take the knee but I'm a wee bit stecky and might have trouble getting up again !

Thanks a bunch. My wife and I have just lost £600.00.

Still I hear all SNP MP's will join the opposition in voting against the Labour Government raid on the pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance. I'm not sure they realise they will be voting against their own policy:whistle

Want to explain that last sentence?

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Want to explain that last sentence?

WFA  for Pensioners in Scotland was devolved this year.  Shona Robison said after Rachael Reeves announced the decision that the Sottish Government would similarly cease WFA payments. She confirmed the new policy in her Budget statement last week, shafting both  pensioners and 7 year olds at primary school. The budget still needs to be passed of course.

58 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

WFA  for Pensioners in Scotland was devolved this year.  Shona Robison said after Rachael Reeves announced the decision that the Sottish Government would similarly cease WFA payments. She confirmed the new policy in her Budget statement last week, shafting both  pensioners and 7 year olds at primary school. The budget still needs to be passed of course.

You realise if Westminster doesn’t provide the funds then the SG doesn’t have the wherewithal to pay the allowance?  You do realise that don’t you?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You realise if Westminster doesn’t provide the funds then the SG doesn’t have the wherewithal to pay the allowance?  You do realise that don’t you?

Are they still managing to give out baby boxes to everyone,.free bus travel to working age adults, free dentistry to working age adults? 

You do realise that the government make choices on where to spend their budget?  Could the Scottish Government pay pensioners a winter fuel payment - yes they could have.  Did they choose to prioritise other causes - yes they have.

Edited by strichener

I'm well aware of Labour's huge majority, but surely an Opposition amendment to allocate WFA based on, say, council tax banding could heap pressure on the Government.

It wouldn't be perfect, nothing will be, but those most in need and least able to afford domestic energy costs will very likely stay in smaller homes.

Some Scottish Labour MP's growing a pair might assist too.

If cutting the WFA was in the Labour Manifesto there is an obligation on Labour backbenchers to vote for it imo.

On the other hand, if it was not in the Manifesto then there is absolutely no obligation to vote for it.  Arguably a moral obligation to oppose it.