What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

10 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

That shift to the left after getting elected...is it next year now..asking for a friend  ?? 

I think it's still happening in 1997.

Kinda funny to think that people who didn't read the room were disappointed by New Labour - Blair was a dangerous Marxist radical by comparison. I'm reliably informed that the Tory press are working hard to hand him the blame for the past fourteen years of Tory misery; apparently it's also bad that he and his family have gone on to make a fat stack of cash after government, unlike former Conservative politicians, who all retire to Buddhist monasteries and eschew worldly possessions  :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Starmer to stand down next year and Corbyn to become leader HWFG.

Ages back, I noticed one of the Torygraph/Heil/Express had a headline implying that Corbyn would be secretly pulling the strings once Starmer took over  :lol:

Two thoughts on metro mayors:

1)  f**k calling them "mayors".  This is Scotland, they'd be provosts.

2) Much like whatever wheeze Gordon Brown is trying pass off as federalism these days, this mayor stuff has never come from any kind of popular demand.  There's no movement of people thinking "What Glasgow needs is a Metro Mayor, and by golly we'll fight for one!", it's the kind of thing that Clever People think is a solution but has no popular enthusiasm or desire.  It's technocratic tinkering to create jobs for the boys and create a new locus for Labour Party power.  If those are your priorities then it probably seems marvellous, but it's hard to see anyone who is not personally invested in the power of the Labour Party clamouring for it.

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I only want regional mayors in Scotland if we end up with cartoonish villains like the guy in Teeside.

He's actually seen as a bit of a success story down here, bought the airport now it's getting more destinations. The steelworks is a bit hit and miss really as it has brought a lot of money, jobs and development into the area but they did still send the land to two local businessmen for about £7.50.  

4 hours ago, Plumpy said:

He's actually seen as a bit of a success story down here, bought the airport now it's getting more destinations. The steelworks is a bit hit and miss really as it has brought a lot of money, jobs and development into the area but they did still send the land to two local businessmen for about £7.50.  

Get yourself some back issues of Private Eye if you want to find out the truth about Ben Houchen.  He's corrupt enough to be on the FIFA Executive Committee.

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Get yourself some back issues of Private Eye if you want to find out the truth about Ben Houchen.  He's corrupt enough to be on the FIFA Executive Committee.

Private Eye ? Quite obviously I pointed out that corruption is involved in the selling of the land as just one example.

edited for typo

Edited by Plumpy

Defo one for an immigration thread, but I wonder how many immigrants (or "new scots") there are on the forum? I know there's the (actual, not plastic) Irishman who made a home for himself on the Celtic and TA threads, but do we have any more or is a'body just boringly Scottish and white?

19 minutes ago, velo army said:

Defo one for an immigration thread, but I wonder how many immigrants (or "new scots") there are on the forum? I know there's the (actual, not plastic) Irishman who made a home for himself on the Celtic and TA threads, but do we have any more or is a'body just boringly Scottish and white?

@Marten's Dutch, I'm sure. 

15 hours ago, velo army said:

I consider myself a Pict and won't rest until the Dal Radian occupation is ended.