England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Netherlands 🇳🇱

throbber

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I know it was only one example, but I can't help feeling that England's penalty performance against Switzerland is important.

Traditionally, England have feared penalties.  Before the weekend, they'd won shoot-outs twice, but lost far more than that.  Even in their wins, they'd looked far from expert.  Against Switzerland though, they did.  Each penalty was excellent, and none were close to being saved.

Obviously, there are no guarantees, but I think England would feel confident about another shoot-out now.  

It's interesting that nobody was describing penalties as a 'lottery' after Saturday.  That was always a favourite spurious line when they kept losing them. 

They said the same when they beat Spain on penalties in 1996.

2 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

I didn't realise he was an actual person, I thought it was a reference to Dave Coaches of Gavin and Stacey fame and an alias on here of Flybhoy.

He was definitely a real person, he just wasn't a real football player. 

5 minutes ago, skiblue said:

Nigels 2 b pumped by Espana would be a tasty result in the final 

No, England being taken apart by the Dutch, while unlikely, would be far better. If England get to the final they might win it, Kane dives in the box - pen ? Unlikely Spanish implosion ? Never mind the increasingly hysterical, cringe inducing 'build-up' between now and Sunday. I want to relax and enjoy the Final. Come on Holland (and indeed the rest of the Netherlands) !!

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They said the same when they beat Spain on penalties in 1996.

Did they?  They hardly had the same history with penalties at that stage.  A bit of redemption for 1990 perhaps, especially for Pearce, but not the same as now, I'd have thought.

10 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Something similar to this tonight would be very pleasing, with the Nigels beaten and seething about it:

That was a joyous watch. Cheers.

18 hours ago, Pocketman said:

Given your take on how you consider that the coverage of English football in Scotland is proportionate, and any criticism of it is a "McGlashanesque" rant, then I am not surprised you have detected no smugness. 

The media in particular in the last few games - but the Swiss game in particular - have started to spin their assessment of England's results and performance beyond any recognition of reality. There is no trace of bafflement as you suggest, in the same way there is no hint that the draw has been ludicrously kind to England - at least not from the ITV or BBC studios. Just read the multitude of comments on pre, mid and post match TV coverage on the England-Swiss thread for other McGlashanesque takes on it. 

I followed the England - Switzerland game on the Gruaniad's minute-by-minute thing, and whoever was doing it (who I suppose was English, but I don't actually know that) said a fair few times that the TV coverage was just totally detached from reality in how enthusiastic it was about England's performance.  Again, they didn't have a shot on target until Saka scored ten minutes from time.  Now, that *is* an improvement on 96 minutes in the previous round, but for all the vaunted prowess of the English attack, they've been extremely disappointing and just boring to watch.

I've Harry Kane in the top scorer sweepstake here but I have the Dutch in my work sweepstake.

Ideal scenario

England 3 v 4 Netherlands. Kane hat-trick and 4 own goals for the Dutch.