Highland League 2024-25

18 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

I just popped onto this thread that ask about that. Why are Clach doing so well this year?

Bought a grown up goalkeeper, shoved an experienced centre half in the middle to do all the thinking, and let the kids run riot up front.

As for Wick, they really don't like playing away from home. 8 points from their last 20 away games. Only Strathspey had a worse away record last season, and one of Wick's wins came on the last day of the season when Keith were already on holiday. 

Went along to Spain Park tonight, felt like close to half the crowd were Huntly fans. I was impressed with them, they've lost a lot of players in recent times but they defended well and posed a real threat on the counter. Thought Robertson led the line well and Grant is a player. Reynolds and Cooney at the back for Dee, wow. Absolutely stinking.

Just back from the Glebe.

Soft penalty for Brechin there players did not even appeal for the penalty. Thought we played well and could have easily pulled it back to 1-1. Should not say this but I think Buckie will have the upper hand against Brechin on what I’ve seen of both teams. Buckie look a lot sharper than Brechin.

Took a wee drive up to Glebe Park for Brechin v Deveronvale tonight. First time I've been at Glebe in about 20 years... forgotten how much of a nice wee setup it is - cracking wee ground.

The game itself... Brechin were probably just slightly better, but got away with it thanks to a very wasteful Deveronvale side.

Deveronvale 6 was arguably best player on the park... everything they had went through him and every time they won the ball back it seemed to be him. But the Vale front line just seem to have no first touch to control balls which made chances hard work. 

Brechin had a few early chances, eventually they took lead with a pretty soft penalty. Vale maybe think they should have had one themselves soon after. 2nd half, Vale missed 1 absolute sitter to equalise and made keeper pull of one really good save (although striker probably should have done better) before Brechin got the 2nd. A parried shot fell into path of Brechin striker to tuck away.

Brechin started better, ended better and in between did enough to mostly keep Vale at arms length... Deveronvale could likely still be playing and not score. 

Brechin weren't at fluid best but apart from 15 minute spell in the first half after the goal, completely controlled the game.

Pen was a stonewaller, no Vale players argued against it. Vale sitter came from a keeper mistake and apart from the decent save mentioned above Brechin were never troubled.

Despite not being at our best, we hit the woodwork 4 times and Macleod should have scored a couple in the first half also.

Vale were very well organised though and I find it hard to believe that team got 7 put past them just a few days before....

5 hours ago, Edzellcityfan said:

Brechin weren't at fluid best but apart from 15 minute spell in the first half after the goal, completely controlled the game.

Pen was a stonewaller, no Vale players argued against it. Vale sitter came from a keeper mistake and apart from the decent save mentioned above Brechin were never troubled.

Despite not being at our best, we hit the woodwork 4 times and Macleod should have scored a couple in the first half also.

Vale were very well organised though and I find it hard to believe that team got 7 put past them just a few days before....

I think Gary Wood was on a mission last night to prove his doubters wrong. He certainly had Vale fired up. 

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think Gary Wood was on a mission last night to prove his doubters wrong. He certainly had Vale fired up. 

Begs the question of why they weren’t as fired up to play their supposed rivals at the weekend……

3 hours ago, Vale Vale Vale said:

Gone after 7 games.

Is that a highland league record?

Strange decision. Never really gave him a chance which suggests there is something else brewing behind the scences

12 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Strange decision. Never really gave him a chance which suggests there is something else brewing behind the scences

When I was in Lossie for Clach scudding them I met a guy who had managed at Dumbarton who said he'd applied for an HL manager's job but was told he lacked local knowledge, can't remember if it was Lossie or another club.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When I was in Lossie for Clach scudding them I met a guy who had managed at Dumbarton who said he'd applied for an HL manager's job but was told he lacked local knowledge, can't remember if it was Lossie or another club.

Surely it's putting the right man in place who can get the right team around him to fill in the gaps like that and allow him to do what he is good at? It was always going to take a while for him to settle in with it being a new landscape, but his previous record should have bought him a bit longer to build his own team up. 

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Surely it's putting the right man in place who can get the right team around him to fill in the gaps like that and allow him to do what he is good at? It was always going to take a while for him to settle in with it being a new landscape, but his previous record should have bought him a bit longer to build his own team up. 

I was just wondering if the Dumbarton boy's convinced the committee he would do a better job. I was actually thinking Eddie was doing a decent job, draw with BoD, win over Rothes and narrow defeats to clubs like Brora and Formartine.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

His previous record where ? 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I might know the club……