El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

6 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

1 World Cup. Scotland Zip

To be fair that was before the premier league was invented and the folk down south openly admit football didn't exist before 1992. 

42 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I wonder when there will be a transition from 'woe is us' to a serious critique of England's selections and tactics throughout virtually the entire tournament.  The most obvious being the repeated presence of Harry Kane in every starting line-up.

He was getting some grief last night as they'd spotted he's manged one touch in the box across both Euro finals. For a scabby poacher, that's very bad. They left it there and weren't exactly calling for Watkins/Toney or someone with a bit more about them start instead. 

I did think it's starting to dawn on Southgate since he's started subbing him regularly. 

15 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

But England labour under the delusion that they are world class / a leading nation.  The numbers show that they aren't in the Top 10 of world footballing powers, and indeed are still behind heavyweights such as Czechoslovakia / Czech rep and, er, the USSR in terms of finals made.

Also, the "58 years of hurt" is absolute nonsense, unless they mean that Year 1 of hurt was when we cruised to victory in 1967...

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Apparently Carvajal’s crying gesture was “brutal”!  These journalists really need to get a grip.

Dani Carvajal caught making brutal crying gesture at Bukayo Saka in cagey Euro 2024 final

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-spain-carvajal-saka-crying-gesture-b2579651.html

Always reminds me of this.....

Jay Slater
The guy from Quantum Leap
A trophy

Anything else for the list of things that never got home?

Edited by Peil
too soon apparently

2 minutes ago, Peil said:

Madeline McCann
Jay Slater
The guy from Quantum Leap
A trophy

Anything else for the list of things that never got home?

Madeleine McCann, Jay Slater? REALLY? Give your head a wobble.

58 minutes ago, Swami said:

It was about 4 minutes after the final whistle last night when Lineker had them winning the next World Cup. That’s despite all of the visual evidence from the past month that, just possibly, all of this ‘world-class’ talent that they have might be a wee bit over-rated. Just because some fanny pays £100m for you, doesn’t mean that’s a realistic appraisal of how good you are. 

He has said this a couple of times. 

England have had some good runs (helped by some very soft seeding opponents but job done and all that etc) but blown them all (WC semi and 2 Euro finals). They are looking more like the Belgian "golden Generation", with diddly squat to show for it. 

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

St George was centuries before the crusades though.

Obviously the paintings are from centuries after he lived and they had no idea what folk wore then, so they depicted him in medieval knight's armour.

Yes, I know.

5 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Madeleine McCann, Jay Slater? REALLY? Give your head a wobble.

Agreed, Bellingham only went missing for ninety minutes.

Ended up watching this on my phone in the middle of Hairmyres A&E with my nephew and sister.

Apologies* to the fellow patients and staff for the celebrations at Spain's winner.

*Nah, f**k that - was well worth celebrating.

30 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

I am old enough to have been alive when that happened. I would imagine a lot of people on here only know of it from old film and reading about it.

The whole "58 years of hurt" and "football is coming home" is a complete invention relentlessly pushed by media and people that weren't even alive at the time. Total pish. Gets all the contempt it deserves. 

I wonder if Uruguay football fans spend their lives talking of "74 years of hurt", with TV showing 90 minute reruns. I doubt it.