El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

I'm not seeing any reflection on the fact their runs in recent tournaments have had an awful lot to do with good fortune in avoiding playing the most elite sides. Indeed, England's record against the top sides is absolutely abysmal. Until this is acknowledged, their mentality is unlikely to change.

The EPL PR bubble and English media brainwashing continues to expand, it would seem.

Glorious.

Just now, Binos said:

Usa,  Saudi Arabia?

They could chuck money at him right enough, but he’s already got heaps of cash and I’d expect he’s the type of guy to prefer a job where he can realistically win a World Cup.

Just now, Elixir said:

I'm not seeing any reflection on the fact their runs in recent tournaments have had an awful lot to do with good fortune in avoiding playing the most elite sides. Indeed, England's record against the top sides is absolutely abysmal. Until this is acknowledged, their mentality is unlikely to change.

The EPL PR bubble and English media brainwashing continues to expand, it would seem.

Glorious.

The Netherlands game is literally the only time in history they’ve won a knockout game away from Wembley against one of the traditional top nations (and I’d argue the Netherlands - particularly the current team - aren’t really on the same level as the likes of France/Brazil/Germany).

1 minute ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

The Netherlands game is literally the only time in history they’ve won a knockout game away from Wembley against one of the traditional top nations (and I’d argue the Netherlands - particularly the current team - aren’t really on the same level as the likes of France/Brazil/Germany).

They're maybe at a similar kind of level as England were before Southgate came in, maybe a bit lower.  They've made one World Cup final since their glory days, and were totally out of their depth against Spain, made the semi final in Brazil, didn't qualify for Russia.  This time round was their Euros first semi final in twenty years, they didn't even qualify in 2016.  They've had some imperious teams in the past, they've profoundly influenced the way football is played, and we could all reel off scores of great, truly great, Dutch players.  But their tournament record is one of underachievement relative to talent, with one trophy now the best part of 40 years ago.

26 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Yup, and their only other 'result of note' against Germany in 2021 was a German team that was absolutely stinking the place out and that nobody fancied. If Denmark had beaten them in the group stage, or indeed they or Slovenia nicked a goal in their final group game, the current Germany side would have dumped them out in the R16 in what would have been a reversal of the previous Euros, no doubt.

Hopefully once things calm down a bit, Southgate is given a new deal and these failings none of them want to talk about remain hidden in plain sight. With any luck, this crop may have already had their best chances to end the six decades long drought, and the latest 'golden generation' is crucified. The previous one certainly never had the luck of the draw this current one has enjoyed.

It can't be understated how accomplished this Spanish victory was. With the exception of being unable to play Portugal, they swept aside all the very best Europe has to offer. They should only continue to grow in strength, as too should Germany. France should regroup with new management and fresh ideas, and if Portugal end the Ronaldo show, they will be all the better for it. Argentina will still be a huge threat at the next World Cup, and though Brazil seem in shambles somewhat, they did just beat England in a friendly at Wembley and it's a side they certainly wouldn't want to face. Frankly, you won't want to play any South American side in the Americas.

The next Euros where they will play every game in their own backyard again will surely be their ultimate opportunity, but is three consecutive finals a realistic prospect now? I'm not so sure. It will be 30 years by then since the host nation won the World Cup or Euros (France 1998) and indeed 44 years since a host nation won the Euros (France 1984).

Edited by Elixir

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The next Euros where they will play every game in their own backyard again will surely be their ultimate opportunity, but is three consecutive finals a realistic prospect now? I'm not so sure. It will be 30 years by then since the host nation won the World Cup or Euros (France 1998) and indeed 44 years since a host nation won the Euros (France 1984).

Technically Italy were a host nation in 2021. Indeed, England’s only game not at Wembley was in Rome.

I shall now return to my pedants anonymous meeting. 

The BBC news really pushing Southgate out the door in the most British way, politely and implicitly. It's a nice way of hounding him out to be honest, rather than any acrimony there's the overwhelming sense that they're grateful, that he's a good man, but he isn't the man to win things with this team.

I do think that England are a good side, but them being set up "too negatively" doesn't explain how many chances they coughed up yesterday. If Yamal had been a bit sharper Spain would have been 2-0 up. England don't have great defenders and, as stated above and their forwards are ageing. I don't follow their club teams that much, but it doesn't look like there is a great conveyor belt of full backs or centre forwards coming through. 

Anyway, delighted at how last night played out. 

Watch them all clamour for a new manager like Klopp or Pep now. I mean, they would be better looking for someone who can work with the players they have, and someone who has international experience, rather than going down the glamourous sexy route. Someone like, de la Fuente actually. But, they just won't be able to see that, which is nice.

1 minute ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Watch them all clamour for a new manager like Klopp or Pep now. I mean, they would be better looking for someone who can work with the players they have, and someone who has international experience, rather than going down the glamourous sexy route. Someone like, de la Fuente actually. But, they just won't be able to see that, which is nice.

Just had someone on Talksport asking for Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney because they are Engerland through and through.