El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

What i don't get is all this "England are in the final despite Gareth Southgate" business.

Gareth Southgate is the one who has obliterated the clique factions that was always there with England. He's the one who has adopted and forged the club mentality and got them to be difficult to beat.

I don't remember Sven or McLaren, Keegan or Capello, etc, doing that, with similar quality of squads. Some with better squads.

Some people just don't want to give Gareth Southgate any props, even begrudgingly.

I've been saying this for 3 years and I'll say it again, I cannot wait till Gareth Southgate leaves as he's making England overachieve.

2 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

He's caught a few with this 👏

Flynn being called a "Xenophobe" for not wanting England to win is hilarious. What a strange lot they are.

12 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Man for man England are as good as the Spanish if not better, but I can’t see Southgate having the beating of De La Fuente for tactics.

Pickford < Simon

Walker = Carvajal

Stones > Le Normand

Guehi > Laporte (Controversial, but he’s been brilliant this tournament and Laporte is on the back nine of his career)

Trippier/Shaw < Cucurella (Cucurella has been brilliant this tournament)

Rice < Rodri

Mainoo < Ruiz

Saka < Yamal

Bellingham > Olmo

Foden > Williams

Kane > Morata 

5-5 draw with one tie 

Anyone who thinks Foden has been better than Williams so far in this tournament needs to have their eyes surgically removed.

Bellingham probably a better player than Olmo but not having as good a tournament.

Think Mainoo has been superb for England this tournament and level with Ruiz. Moratta over Kane.

It's not just about players, it's about playing them in a way you get the best out of them.  England have had one good 45 minutes in the tournament where they got Foden on the ball where he's dangerous and Mainoo and Rice helped dominated the midfield with an extra man in there. 

Spain's midfield will likely dominate the ball and they've got the best DM in world football protecting the back 4 so it's more like the 2nd half match up from last night where Netherlands largely stopped England as a creative force by flooding the centre and not keeping 3 players right up the field,  using Weghorst to hold it up and wait for support.

England's advantage is in having more game changers on the bench - they've been dangerous when games get late on as they've got really good options on there in forward areas.  

Spain have created by far the most and best quality chances throughout the tournament

It's a thoroughly VL upper Kelvinside Nigel Tory take......

But I'm honestly just looking forward to two very good teams going at it in a great final. I don't care as much who wins. I don't live in England and don't own a telly, so I won't get wound up by any "saturation" of coverage. I've also got a few English mates who I'd be happy for if they won.

3-2 to someone.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

But I'm honestly just looking forward to two very good teams going at it in a great final. I don't care as much who wins. I don't live in England and don't own a telly, so I won't get wound up by any "saturation" of coverage. I've also got a few English mates who I'd be happy for if they won.

3-2 to someone.

It's a brave stance and one I think you will regret when you have wall to wall coverage of the victory parade which will take place across 3-4 days in different English cities while Gareth and Harry get knighted and a few others are made OBE etc...

and that will just be the start.

My missus is English and she passionately wants them to lose because she thinks it will continue to affect Coronation Street/Emmerdale scheduling, can't argue with that logic.

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

3-2 to someone.

I hate you so much

1 minute ago, eindhovendee said:

It's a brave stance and one I think you will regret when you have wall to wall coverage of the victory parade which will take place across 3-4 days in different English cities while Gareth and Harry get knighted and a few others are made OBE etc...

and that will just be the start.

My missus is English and she passionately wants them to lose because she thinks it will continue to affect Coronation Street/Emmerdale scheduling, can't argue with that logic.

As I said. I don't have a telly and don't frankly care if TV stations are thoroughly delighted that England won. I think the fact that Scotland shat the bed so hugely and publicly has extinguished a lot of my anti English fervour. 

A more controversial stance is that I like Pickford.

As I have said before I want England to win as my family are English and I want them to be happy. I'm away down South to watch it with them. 

If Spain win so be it, life goes on. 

45 minutes ago, Chripper said:

What i don't get is all this "England are in the final despite Gareth Southgate" business.

Gareth Southgate is the one who has obliterated the clique factions that was always there with England. He's the one who has adopted and forged the club mentality and got them to be difficult to beat.

I don't remember Sven or McLaren, Keegan or Capello, etc, doing that, with similar quality of squads. Some with better squads.

Some people just don't want to give Gareth Southgate any props, even begrudgingly.

I've been saying this for 3 years and I'll say it again, I cannot wait till Gareth Southgate leaves as he's making England overachieve.

Southgate making a very talented group hard to beat isn't overachieving.  I'd argue that he's literally not won a game they haven't been favourites in in his entire tenure, and many of the wins they have had have been against teams he'd have been hounded for if they hadn't won. 

31 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't live in England and don't own a telly

21 minutes ago, velo army said:

As I said. I don't have a telly

Q: How do you know if someone doesn’t have a tv?

A: They’ll never fucking tire of telling you. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

He's the one who's got 11 men behind the ball 

This needs exploring again.  Maybe it deserves a new thread, but I don't tend to start them.

I desperately want England to lose, but recognise this as probably a bit pathetic.

I've lived in England, studied in England and worked there.  Obviously, I know and like plenty English people.  I don't mind Southgate and I quite like Kane, Rice and Saka.

Honestly though, I can scarcely bear the thought of England winning this.  I'm worse for this now than I was when younger.  I can attempt to rationalise it by bleating about the media, but in truth, our own are bloody worse.  I can say it's a football rivalry, but that's dated and one sided.  I certainly don't feel this revulsion towards any clubs like Annan, Ayr or Stranraer.  

The explanation of the giant chip on the shoulder seems like the best fit.  Do I/we need to grow up a bit?  Or is there a perfectly sensible and morally justifiable reason for feeling this way, that I just haven't yet hit upon?

2 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Q: How do you know if someone doesn’t have a tv?

A: They’ll never fucking tire of telling you. 

Tbf the poster I replied to referenced wall to wall coverage as grounds for regret, which tells me they either missed that bit or think we all live in the world depicted in Minority Report.

I have now tired of mentioning that I dinna hae a telly.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

No doubt Spain have been the best team in the tournament and they’re clear favourites here. Would be surprised if they don’t win it.

However, England are achieving a level of consistency you don’t often see at international level. They’re hard to beat - they haven’t lost a single game during this competition, including in qualifying - and they’re good at penalty shoot outs. That’s the formula that will get you far.

Since Southgate arrived they’ve went SF, F, QF, F. Given that in the hilarious 20 years prior to his appointment they didn’t make a single SF, that’s quite an improvement.
Compare them to their European peers: Germany haven’t made a single SF since 2016, France got knocked out the last 16 by that easy draw team Switzerland at the last Euros,  Spain have got knocked out the last two World Cups at the last 16 by Russia and Morocco, and Italy haven’t even qualified for the last two World Cups. 

Given they keep knocking on the door of the latter stages, it does feel inevitable that they’ll win one eventually.

Let’s hope it’s not on Sunday. 

Yes, they have been very consistent.  Jammy as jammy can be in every single game. 

35 minutes ago, velo army said:

As I said. I don't have a telly and don't frankly care if TV stations are thoroughly delighted that England won. I think the fact that Scotland shat the bed so hugely and publicly has extinguished a lot of my anti English fervour. 

A more controversial stance is that I like Pickford.

Mods.

A wee bit off topic but here goes.....

The more I watch the so-called elite level of football the more glad I am that I watch and support Dumbarton. OK, the individual and collective skills, fitness and organisation may be much lower, but the overall experience remains very true to the origins of the game. There is a passion and honesty (eg little diving) and crucially, randomness that has simply vanished from higher up the chain.  We are also largely free from the incessant demands of commerce and broadcasters to trick up the 'experience' for the domestic and global 'customer' and 'Insta Fan'. Last night's latest VAR farrago was another reminder of when it's not broken then don't fix it.

I'll watch the final but I'm setting my expectations pretty low.