El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

Seen this narrative that they scored and then "went for it and got caught on the counter"

Did they f**k. They scored and instead of using that momentum, just sat back and got battered.

Absolutely pathetic performance. The whole euros was the same

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

By the way, Cole Palmer’s celebration is the most annoying thing in world football, and I’m delighted he ended up in tears.

Cole Palmer has that kind of face that means if his till was free at Aldi you’d still queue up at the next one

35 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Didn't think it was possible to love this beautiful man more, but there ya have it folks #McLovely 😚

Demolish the Wallace monument. We have a new contender.

21 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

NEVER IN DOUBT. 

Absolutely DELIGHTED to deliver a hearty "get it right fucking round you" to (1) England, (2) those who wish England well, (3) Glasgow Rangers and (4) all the "ooh we'd best just come to terms with the fact they're winning this" shitebags in this very thread.

They were always going to lose; the manner in which they lost was extremely pleasing. 

Praise be brother. 

Ah well, at least now they can look forward to the prospect of winning their Nations League B group. Not that they should be getting too far ahead of themselves. It is England after all.

I have gone over to talksport now, much more entertaining than 5live was.

I admit that when Bellingham saved them 30 seconds from going out I had ‘the fear’ that all the stars were going to align for them and they would shitfest there way to winning the whole thing.  Even tonight despite Spain being in total control at times I always feared they would sneak a goal or get a dodgy penalty.

I am working this evening, supporting an autistic guy originally from Manchester. He was jumping all around his living room when the equaliser went in and almost flattened me! He was a bit down at the end of the game. I needed all my poker faced calmness to console him and not celebrate myself. 

I sincerely hope someone got footage of the ITV News reporter in Benidorm having an Argentina flag draped over his face on live TV so that it can be enjoyed on loop.

Just now, MarkoRaj said:

Seen this narrative that they scored and then "went for it and got caught on the counter"

Did they f**k. They scored and instead of using that momentum, just sat back and got battered.

Weirdly I’ve only seen the narrative that it’s Southgate’s fault because England sat back

ultimately it doesn’t matter. though 

The important thing is Spain didn’t sit back and they’re better 

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

My sincere take is that it was England's worst tournament under Southgate. Good for about 20-30 minutes against Serbia, 45 v Netherlands and OK first halves against Spain and Switzerland. They've been second-best for the rest of it (though I admittedly didn't watch the Slovenia game). 

I thought that the FA made the right decision in keeping Southgate on after the World Cup (and yes, they were right in our eyes etc etc), as that quarter-final against France was the first time they actually played well against a good side in a tournament and guys like Saka and Bellingham were becoming mainstays. However, in hindsight that should've been the end, and this tournament will go down as a massive missed opportunity with some of the very best talents in the world being reduced to not even a full game's worth of good football. 

In contrast, it's hard to not love this Spain team - despite how Euro 2024 started. Two wonderful wingers, probably the best player in the world, a daft old b*****d at the back and Olmo and Ruiz who'll be placed in a future Football Cliches Pure Euros XI. Also a manager who was plucked from the youth teams to facilitating the best football we've seen at a tournament in a while - especially from a winning team. Despite how shite the tournament's been, I'm sure we'll remember this side, and there's still nothing quite like international football.

I get the feeling something will give this time around re Southgate.  In some respects I kind of understand the position he takes - they have some of the most exciting attacking talent in the world undoubtedly, but are badly deficient in so many other areas, so a baws-out approach would probably see them lose a tonne load more goals.  You see how badly exposed they were at right back tonight, both goals stemming from being cut open essentially there, and as mentioned previously one of the poorest, most overrated midfields going.

I think what needs examining more closely is this fascination the English media have with all things English Premier, as if nothing else matters.  The pundits in this tournament were especially guilty of being amazed when other countries omitted players from the EPL, as if it was some kind of national outrage.   With a couple of exceptions, the so called English big-hitters from that league (particularly Foden) stank out the place, yet the stars of the show (think particularly Lamal) are outwith the so-called 'greatest league on the planet'

6 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Sitting looking at those Spain celebrations and can't help but feel that with a better manager it could have been us.

What, Clyde?

Just now, MarkoRaj said:

They stink the place out. It's a variation of Brexitball. However, it has been effective for them until tonight. 

I don't expect them to play like Spain, because they don't have the players to do so. Let's not forget that Pedri and Gavi were injured, and Rodri was out the second half. Even without some first picks, Spain play a way that England cannot. There was only one team that was really trying to win that game and it wasn't England. 

Too many of their so-called talents just didn't show up. Harry Kane was pish yet again and, not for the first time, they were a better team when he wasn't on the pitch. Wonderboy Bellingham again didn't step up to the plate and where has Phil Foden been all tournament? Nothing at all like his season at City - was that a purple patch, or is it yet another player that's been ruined by Guardiola? 

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

My sincere take is that it was England's worst tournament under Southgate. Good for about 20-30 minutes against Serbia, 45 v Netherlands and OK first halves against Spain and Switzerland. They've been second-best for the rest of it (though I admittedly didn't watch the Slovenia game). 

I thought that the FA made the right decision in keeping Southgate on after the World Cup (and yes, they were right in our eyes etc etc), as that quarter-final against France was the first time they actually played well against a good side in a tournament and guys like Saka and Bellingham were becoming mainstays. However, in hindsight that should've been the end, and this tournament will go down as a massive missed opportunity with some of the very best talents in the world being reduced to not even a full game's worth of good football. 

In contrast, it's hard to not love this Spain team - despite how Euro 2024 started. Two wonderful wingers, probably the best player in the world, a daft old b*****d at the back and Olmo and Ruiz who'll be placed in a future Football Cliches Pure Euros XI. Also a manager who was plucked from the youth teams to facilitating the best football we've seen at a tournament in a while - especially from a winning team. Despite how shite the tournament's been, I'm sure we'll remember this side, and there's still nothing quite like international football.

I don't mind him and he's done a decent job overall but Southgate has had an absolute shocker this tournament. He has literally had months to prepare and decides to start TAA in midfield, before binning that idea in game 2 and then cycling through Gallagher and then Mainoo (who had some good moments in other games but a stinker tonight). The likes of Kane, Foden and Walker were poor throughout and started every game. Left back was an absolute mess, literally waiting for an injury-prone player to rehab during the training camp. And arguably their best player (Guehi) only got in because Maguire was injured.

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Weirdly I’ve only seen the narrative that it’s Southgate’s fault because England sat back

Shearer said it on the BBC and one of the female English pundits said the same on ITV 

It is Southgate's fault tbf. They had gears they could have gone up but didn't seem to bother.

They were behind in every game from the second round onwards and only turned it on when they went behind

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m glad England have never won anything in my lifetime. And I doubt they ever will.

RIP mozza (ps get that fucking Chiellini cup meme up)