Edinburgh chimpanzee injured testicles in fight, now recovering

Qafzeh, a chimpanzee currently resident at Edinburgh Zoo, was badly injured in a large fight among his troop last week and required surgery on his testicles following the incident. Another male chimp at the zoo, 31 year old Rene, was killed in the disturbance.

Zoo keepers intervened to stop the fight but not in time to save Rene’s life or Qafzeh from injured testicles. Following surgery Qafzeh has been reintroduced to the group, which seems a good idea, where else were they going to put him? The lion enclosure?

Here’s a photo to Qafzeh, testicles not in shot

image.thumb.jpeg.f517b2939e5f7f8cf29c923c0eb62473.jpeg

Have any P&Bers ever injured their testicles in a fight with a troop of angry chimpanzees?

I see a stiff boot in balls during a square go remains undefeated since the dawn of time. Elite fighting tactic.

Shame about Rene of course. At least we'll get an Allo Allo gif or 2 out of it on this thread.

RIP x

Just now, MazzyStar said:

I’ve been to Edinburgh zoo.

Did you jump into the chimp enclosure and try to have a go at any of their scrotums?

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Did you jump into the chimp enclosure and try to have a go at any of their scrotums?

No. Don’t even remember seeing any chimpanzees there. 

Chimpanzees shouldn't be in zoos.

If you want to visit a zoo, go to Five Sisters in West Lothian. All of their bigger, smarter animals are rescues, like the lion pack with PTSD that caused them to lose their manes and the bears they ask you to be quiet around. It's a much better day out with the kids than Edinburgh Zoo.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

If you want to visit a zoo, go to Five Sisters in West Lothian. All of their bigger, smarter animals are rescues, like the lion pack with PTSD that caused them to lose their manes and the bears they ask you to be quiet around. It's a much better day out with the kids than Edinburgh Zoo.

Sounds like the Bowbridge Bar in the Hulltoon.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Went to Edinburgh Zoo when I was a bairn and they had a panther in a small pen that was quite clearly unhappy in such a small space.  My main memory of the place was this panther circling the pen. Went back a few years ago and nothing had changed, though probably not the same cat. There's plenty of evidence that keeping big cats in zoos is cruel and harmful but they keep them because zoos are money making businesses.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Cracking wee zoo.  Watching the 3 legged cheetah stalk my toddler son through the fence was a particular highlight.  real hairs on the back of the neck stuff as I realised that even with 3 legs it's have the lot of us in a flash

12 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

I’ve been to Edinburgh zoo. The pandas didn’t show face when I was there. The penguins were a great laugh. 

Get well soon, Qafzeh. 

There was a poster on here years ago who worked at the zoo. He said the dead penguins got fed to other animals.