πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Paris 2024 πŸ₯‡πŸ₯ˆπŸ₯‰

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Lynsey Sharp always had an excuse. Laura Muir gets preferential treatment, it's not fair running against Caster Semenya, she thought "Big Jock Knew" was a positive reference to Jock Wallace...

She also always conveniently forgot she got selected for London 2012 based on achieving the B-standard, meaning GB&NI could only select one athlete instead of three. As a result, 3 athletes who all achieved the A-standard were not selected.

4 if you include the injured Jenny Meadows, but Sharp had beaten them all at the Olympic trial.

Big respect for Turkish shooter Yusuf Dikec, who rolled up yesterday with no ear protectors or special glasses, and helped his team to a silver medal with one hand in his pocket.

20240801_232218.jpg

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Big respect for Turkish shooter Yusuf Dikec, who rolled up yesterday with no ear protectors or special glasses, and helped his team to a silver medal with one hand in his pocket.

20240801_232218.jpg

Someone needs to photoshop that so he's shooting the gun sideways

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Apparently Dan Evans turned down defending his title at Washington Open, which is the biggest thing he's ever won, to take part in the Olympics so...

1. Fair play to him for thatΒ 

2. It's a shame they arrange big tournaments like that during the Olympics, IMO.

He is going to drop 110 places in the world rankings from what I seen mentioned on the BBC

9 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

The language used by her Italian opponent didn't help.Β 

"Preserving my life". The media hopped on it and then social media exploded with arseholes like Rowling

Lassie knew she was going to lose and saw euros in her eyes from subsequent media appearances. Her opponent has lost to women before. It's a non story.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

54 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Lassie knew she was going to loseΒ 

I saw a video which seems to show she has previous for taking a coming loss pretty badly, doing a pretty obvious fake rolling of the ankle.Β 

I have what would probably be considered some pretty non woke takes on transgender women in sport, or at least top level sport, but it's depressing it's being brought into this case. Like Semenya previously, there is literally nothing this woman has done to give herself any sort of advantage and it's just really sad for her imo, to be essentially bullied and publicly called a man must have been news to her.

There's a fair argument to be made that there should be some sort of consideration of people who are intersex or have some sort of DOSD, but the Olympics have implemented such a scheme and no one can really point to much other than the word of a disgraced boxing governing body to say that it's a bad one. The fighters included who were previously excluded have nothing in their record to suggest they are incomparable with the rest of the field, and it was very funny to see Steve Bunce have to be the voice of reason and essentially say she's not really a particularly hard puncher (and to his credit one of the few commentators to acknowledge she is being harmed by all this going on).

Contrast that with the nauseatingly paternalistic Sean Ingle and others, who seem to think that womens' sport should be for nice little girls who try really really hard and anyone outside of that is cheating. I don't really want to get into the anti-trans weirdos getting in on this issue, but surely Khelif is what they would describe as a woman. Otherwise they're surely creating a secret third category (which apparently is very insidious) which would somewhat undermine their view of sex as strictly, 100% binary.Β 

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

I saw a video which seems to show she has previous for taking a coming loss pretty badly, doing a pretty obvious fake rolling of the ankle.Β 

I have what would probably be considered some pretty non woke takes on transgender women in sport, or at least top level sport, but it's depressing it's being brought into this case. Like Semenya previously, there is literally nothing this woman has done to give herself any sort of advantage and it's just really sad for her imo, to be essentially bullied and publicly called a man must have been news to her.

There's a fair argument to be made that there should be some sort of consideration of people who are intersex or have some sort of DOSD, but the Olympics have implemented such a scheme and no one can really point to much other than the word of a disgraced boxing governing body to say that it's a bad one. The fighters included who were previously excluded have nothing in their record to suggest they are incomparable with the rest of the field, and it was very funny to see Steve Bunce have to be the voice of reason and essentially say she's not really a particularly hard puncher (and to his credit one of the few commentators to acknowledge she is being harmed by all this going on).

Contrast that with the nauseatingly paternalistic Sean Ingle and others, who seem to think that womens' sport should be for nice little girls who try really really hard and anyone outside of that is cheating. I don't really want to get into the anti-trans weirdos getting in on this issue, but surely Khelif is what they would describe as a woman. Otherwise they're surely creating a secret third category (which apparently is very insidious) which would somewhat undermine their view of sex as strictly, 100% binary.Β 

Talking about it through theΒ night at work it's astonishing how many folk believe everything they read on X. One massive difference between Semenya and Khelif is that Semenya was beating everyone for fun, Khelif has lost 9 of 51 fights including an Irish lass beating her in a world final, folk seem to think she has just appeared at these games, but it's not even her first Olympics never mind all the other competitions she has fought in.

I saw the same clip of the Italian lass but can't find it now.

Β 

Rowling is getting ripped a new one because she took off the tweet claiming Khelif was born a man - now changed it to "shouldn't have a biological advantage".

It was pointed out to her thaf most sportsmen have biological advantages, from the lung capacity Phelps and Indurain to the height of Shaq and Jordan.

The woman is just showing what an evil c**t she is.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

13 hours ago, andyg83 said:

I don't get the hate. She just very protective of womens rights.

Not my cup of tea but I understand her point of view as a woman.Β 

Given being LGBTQ+ is illegal in Algeria, there’s a very real chance she’s put a woman in legal and physical jeopardy by β€˜standing up for her rights’. f**k all the way off.Β 

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Lynsey Sharp always had an excuse. Laura Muir gets preferential treatment, it's not fair running against Caster Semenya, she thought "Big Jock Knew" was a positive reference to Jock Wallace...

She also always conveniently forgot she got selected for London 2012 based on achieving the B-standard, meaning GB&NI could only select one athlete instead of three. As a result, 3 athletes who all achieved the A-standard were not selected.

Jock Wallace knew as well? Huge if true.

Any other Jocks in the know?

Β 

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

20240801_232218.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/01/yusuf-dikec-turkish-shooter-paris-2024-olympics-t-shirt-glasses

Just a casual observance but is it just me or are the folk at the centre of these gender accusations usually black, Arabic or South Indian?

I remember the shite the Williams sisters got (and probably still do).

Just seems an excuse for prejudices (however unfounded) to rise up out of the swamp.

It's the ferocity of it that gets me tbh. I can just about understand, if you were very uncharitable, describing trans women competing in women's sports as cheating. I can understand if you think people with DSD should not be able to compete in the female category. I don't necessarily agree with either of those POV but I can understand how you get there.

But to see former athletes and journalists acting as if someone with female genitalia, raised as a girl and living as a woman who just happens to have a genetic difference which results in some male characteristics is a cheat, and worse just brazenly describing her as male/a man is so unnecessarily nasty.

I've not been on twitter, or the internet in general, for a while. Last 24 hours of seeing this stuff makes me want to chuck my phone in the river.Β