Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

15 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Bruh, that ain't even Sun 41's most popular song nevermind their one hit wonder. 

Think that Tartan Army thread has melted your brain.

The 'one hit wonder' was a reply to the the t.A.T.u. video.

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

BMX Bandits - not sure if they faded away, split-up or are still around. Not heard from them for years, whatever the reason.

Not quite the criteria but Tool just f**k off and bring out a new album every 8.9 years or something daft like that.

Still going. They’re not so much a band as just Duglas and then whoever he can rustle up to play with him, so releases kinda depend on him getting available bodies to get into a studio 

20 hours ago, Gaz said:

Landfill Indie was an absolutely dreadful era of music.

Probably just to do with most of us being 16-30 in that era that the dreck gets remembered. My kids wouldn’t have a fucking clue if I mentioned any of those bands and I’m sure if you searched Old Man Danger’s record collection you’d find more than a few long forgotten weak copyists of Black Lace/Showaddywaddy/Glenn Miller. 

12 minutes ago, Venti said:

Think that Tartan Army thread has melted your brain.

The 'one hit wonder' was a reply to the the t.A.T.u. video.

Whst thread would that be? Don't think I've posted more than a handful of times on any thread there. 🤔

Regardless, you've just said "Delving into one hit wonders" and then followed it by posting a song? I think you're the stupid one if you can't see how someone would assume you're calling the trailing song a one hit wonder tbh. 

On 24/07/2024 at 23:28, Alert Mongoose said:

Be-witched. Had a belter then, nothing.

I’m not having that. Blame it on the Weatherman is a beauty. 

29 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Probably just to do with most of us being 16-30 in that era that the dreck gets remembered. My kids wouldn’t have a fucking clue if I mentioned any of those bands and I’m sure if you searched Old Man Danger’s record collection you’d find more than a few long forgotten weak copyists of Black Lace/Showaddywaddy/Glenn Miller. 

I can't say "Showaddywaddy" without doing an impression of a certain late notorious DJ... 

58 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Whst thread would that be? Don't think I've posted more than a handful of times on any thread there. 🤔

Regardless, you've just said "Delving into one hit wonders" and then followed it by posting a song? I think you're the stupid one if you can't see how someone would assume you're calling the trailing song a one hit wonder tbh. 

Handful of times?

I replied to RE & then posted the video pertinant to the thread.

Not really sure what's tripping you up.

24 minutes ago, Venti said:

Handful of times?

I replied to RE & then posted the video pertinant to the thread.

Not really sure what's tripping you up.

Yes that's correct, a handful. I can see 3 posts from myself related to the Steve Clarke In/Out argument on there, so I've no idea what you're on about? Sounds like you're making shite up again. At least you can't delete the thread this time. 😬

Nothing's tripping me up. Think it was a perfectly logical reading of your post given the wording, you've just decided to respond like a snide dick for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Yes that's correct, a handful. I can see 3 posts from myself related to the Steve Clarke In/Out argument on there, so I've no idea what you're on about? Sounds like you're making shite up again. At least you can't delete the thread this time. 😬

Nothing's tripping me up. Think it was a perfectly logical reading of your post given the wording, you've just decided to respond like a snide dick for some reason. 

Just seen the amount of pish you post.

You aren't worth the effort.

More kerrang/scuzz crap from my youth that (thankfully) no one talks about anymore 

Putting my response to Venti in spoilers to stop shitting up the thread further 

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Venti said:

Just seen the amount of pish you post.

You aren't worth the effort.

If you say so. Happy to stand by all the foolish nonsense I've posted. Better than going back and deleting stuff where you've made a fanny of yourself, or gotten some red dots, as you do. 

Just to wrap this up, all you had to do was correct me, and point out my error. But you decided to have an underhand dig instead. Pissed me off that, absolutely no need for it. Such poor, poor etiquette IMO to dredge up shite from another part of the forum to try embarrass someone. I'll just retaliate with the same energy.Why can't people just reply to the post not the poster? 

18 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

More kerrang/scuzz crap from my youth that (thankfully) no one talks about anymore 

Putting my response to Venti in spoilers to stop shitting up the thread further 

Reveal hidden contents

If you say so. Happy to stand by all the foolish nonsense I've posted. Better than going back and deleting stuff where you've made a fanny of yourself, or gotten some red dots, as you do. 

Just to wrap this up, all you had to do was correct me, and point out my error. But you decided to have an underhand dig instead. Pissed me off that, absolutely no need for it. Such poor, poor etiquette IMO to dredge up shite from another part of the forum to try embarrass someone. I'll just retaliate with the same energy.Why can't people just reply to the post not the poster? 

ADTR didn't disappear at all, they are constantly touring and have a shit load of great songs

Edited by Butters Scotch

Big amount of corrections coming up

18 hours ago, throbber said:

Their second album was a stinker and that was the end of them. I remember it getting all sorts of awful reviews when it got released. They were popular for a few months in 2008 around about time Glasvegas were big. Both artist reminded me of come downs at that time.

I remember hard fi releasing an abysmal album in 2011 and then falling off the radar altogether. Not that they were particularly good to start with but haven’t seen them mentioned yet.

I really liked Hard-Fi's first album, even if some of the finer points of the experiences being sung about weren't exactly relatable to a 15 year old as I was at the time. I remember being quite excited for their second album with it's pretentious non-artwork and then I heard and oh, oh dear. For some reason I still got their third album when it came out and I remember seeing a video of one of the songs live and it just looked depressing. A pub band with a backing singer. Thankfully youtube tells you when you've seen a video, so here it is:

Off the top of my head I think they may have reformed for one of the anniversaries of their first album and attempted a comeback. If Buzzcocks was still on he would have been on the identity parade about ten years ago.

18 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Towers Of London, couldn't name one song of theirs yet they toured with The Pouges and Guns & Roses, had their own TV series on Bravo and the lead singer appeared in Celebrity Big Brother 

This was largely covered, but since the music industry is in more dire need of a Lamarr/Amstell to puncture the egos of its stars than ever before, let's revisit the full classic:

I refuse to believe this band existed outside of this episode and the clips from their own show you see here. I think the highlight here is "I should explain... Bill is a professional comedian. You won't win."

17 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The fucking Ting Tings. That song played everywhere for a few months and then never again.

I've probably spent a good thousand hours or more of my life watching The Inbetweeners, so I can tell you they also had two other songs. One of them was just as annoying as that one, while the other was surprisingly melancholic and charming:

17 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Mika and Scissor Sisters dropped off the radar pretty quickly.

In terms of concentration of hits on a debut album relative to their subsequent output, probably nobody compares to Mika. I think when he hosted Eurovision P&B collectively discovered he was actually still a thing and not just doing pure pop any more. Good for him. 

Scissor Sisters hung about for quite a bit longer than some others here with three albums and a lot of hits, but haven't released anything as a band since their fourth. Jake Shears still does solo stuff.

8 hours ago, throbber said:

I was too lost in 00’s nostalgia to thoroughly go over every post. I apologise. 

I remember their song “good for nothing” from their 2011 album was played constantly and was so laughably awful it was almost like an incomplete demo yet it was getting constant airtime. I assume too many people complained about how awful it was and they were fired off into the sun not long after.

The issue with most these bands was that they poured all their energy into their first album to get big and then spend a year or so touring and getting high on their own supply but then when it comes to writing a second album their energy is completely different and they can’t follow it up. Look at likes of hard fi, pigeon detectives, wombats etc - they’re singing about boozy lifestyles and chasing girls that hang around shitty pubs which is a why people related to them, After a year or so has passed they have got semi famous they aren’t in the same mindset as they were before and are hanging about in different circles so find it difficult to release new material that still appeals to their original audience.

Arctic monkeys first album was similar and lots of songs were about the Sheffield club scene but they were able to change their style with the second album, even if a lot of people didn’t like it they clearly knew they had to progress with their music rather than just be people pleasers which is why they are still headlining festivals nowadays. That said oasis and their founding members have been churning out the exact same music for 30 years now and nobody seems to want to see the back of them so who knows.

Hard-Fi - covered

The Pigeon Detectives - utterly heinous, their first album has multiple songs on it that are basically identical and their second album was, somehow, exactly the same. I'd almost be interested to see if they carried it on because I remember them releasing new stuff as late as 2016 and just being appalled.

The Wombats - go away

I can't really comment on the Arctic Monkeys because I got bored and stopped listening to them after two albums and an EP, but during their Glastonbury performance in 2023 I posted on here asking if he was supposed to be interesting now because he moved to Los Angeles and grew a quiff and got a greenie from @capt_oats so I'm going to guess I made the right decision.

The Courteeners are a band I don't know anything about but you can pretty confidently tune in to festival coverage on the telly and see a fresh crowd of children belting out Not Nineteen Forever, year after year. As much as music and the audience for it can be a reflective thing mirroring society at the time it's created, some things just hang about and manage to find the exact same people in the exact same place, years and years later.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Back on topic. Some Kerrang/Scuzz bands from the early 2010s ish years

I don't know that Enter Shikari qualify as "everywhere" but of all the bands of their time in this thread they're probably the least comparable. They've been pretty prolific at releasing music since their debut in 2006. They're constantly adopting new genres and styles and constantly playing live. I didn't listen to anything past their debut album but got back into them during covid and condensed a lot of music into a short space of time and was amazed at how varied it all actually is.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

How about Plan B? Defamation of Strickland Banks then disappeared. 

This is actually a good shout who I looked up recently when I saw him on an old episode of Top Gear. He had another album, then became an actor, then put out another album then just... didn't do anything. Weird.