Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

The Thrills, absolutely loved them. Quite odd a bunch of Irish lads singing about California but Big Sur was an absolute tune 

Second album was entirely unmemorable apart from the song apart from the song about Corey Haim

9 hours ago, Venti said:

Sum 41

8 albums but announced they're splitting and on their final tour atm. Playing the Hydro on the 27th of October.

9 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Are they planning on doing a collaboration with Pitbull? 

I would not be holding my breath for it.

5 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Playing the Hydro with Trivium in January on a 20th anniversary tour of The Poison/Ascendancy albums. Both albums being played in full.

Not normally a fan of all the other indie crap mentioned here, but The Pigeon Detectives were not bad when I saw them supporting Foo Fighters back then. Liked about three of their songs. The Enemy were/are from Coventry and had big posters beside roads and motorways as "local boys done good" which was weird even back in 2010. Did like one song just for their "yer face" line. Wombats are pish though.... and how long until The 1975 disappear into similar obscurity?

23 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Kula Shaker are fucking great.

They're like the Moody Blues - no matter how unfashionable they are, their music cannot be faulted. I didn't know about the conspiracy shit, and the singer is a nepo baby's nepo baby, but I will always love Govinda and Hush as much as the Moodys' Ride My Seesaw or Tuesday Afternoon. I can't say that about any of the songs on the landfill indie top 50.

Would Glasvegas fall into this category?

On a slightly related note, did anyone watch a show on chanel 4 on Saturday or Sunday morning, probably around 2005/6 when unsigned bands competed for a contract?

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Black Eyed Peas.

That "I Gotta Feeling" song was horrifically overplayed on the radio. 

There is a bluegrass fun band that does a lot of covers that do this one.

11 hours ago, Venti said:

Massive Attack

Come on man, they were formed in the 80s and are still playing gigs. They also released albums over a 20 year period. Almost as bad as your Radiohead shout! 

A lot of folk just naming bands they liked then didn't like new stuff, or that they just didn't hear the new stuff at all. 

8 hours ago, moses1924 said:

On a slightly related note, did anyone watch a show on chanel 4 on Saturday or Sunday morning, probably around 2005/6 when unsigned bands competed for a contract?

Was this the thing Scotland's Tommy Reilly won? 

On 25/07/2024 at 16:09, MEADOWXI said:

Seeing the Zutons in December, they supporting Paul Heaton on his tour.

Last time I saw them they were supporting REM @ Loch Lomond, mostly want to see them so I can scream at folk 'this is what the song Valerie should sound like, not being butchered by that warbling Bint Winehouse'.

I was at that. Did the Manics not support them as well that day? 

9 hours ago, moses1924 said:

53 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Was this the thing Scotland's Tommy Reilly won? 

Orange unsignedAct - Wikipedia

9 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I have been pleasantly surprised that they haven't been mentioned more, they were shite.

They came to Inverness to play a gig that a band I used to kick around with was supporting. Acted like a bunch of fuds the whole night, the 2 support bands had the place bouncing, then by the time Glasvegas were on to their 3rd song the place had almost emptied. We were out the back having a drink and a smoke with the other support band (who were sound) and couldn't believe how empty the place was when we walked back into the room! 

18 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is actually a good shout who I looked up recently when I saw him on an old episode of Top Gear. He had another album, then became an actor, then put out another album then just... didn't do anything. Weird. 

He had a couple of acting roles as well and wrote, directed and did the soundtrack for a film. 

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

I have been pleasantly surprised that they haven't been mentioned more, they were shite.

I, for one, was shocked that there wasn’t more mileage in blockbusters like ‘It’s Rainin’, ‘Ma Da’s A p***k’ and ‘Ma Da’s A p***k And It’s Rainin’ 

18 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Hard-Fi - covered

The Pigeon Detectives - utterly heinous, their first album has multiple songs on it that are basically identical and their second album was, somehow, exactly the same. I'd almost be interested to see if they carried it on because I remember them releasing new stuff as late as 2016 and just being appalled.

The Wombats - go away

I can't really comment on the Arctic Monkeys because I got bored and stopped listening to them after two albums and an EP, but during their Glastonbury performance in 2023 I posted on here asking if he was supposed to be interesting now because he moved to Los Angeles and grew a quiff and got a greenie from @capt_oats so I'm going to guess I made the right decision.

Yeah hard fi clearly got found out but there was obviously an obligation for radio 1 to play their 2011 songs despite how blatantly awful it was, even for radio 1 standards. Their song can’t get along without you in 2007 I actually quite liked.

Im not saying I liked pigeon detectives but  they were very much a here today gone tomorrow band for the reasons I stated.

Wombats shouldn’t have been mentioned as they were still getting airtime a couple years ago with some depressing effort about loved ones dying so they haven’t really disappeared at all.

Arctic monkeys are a very unique case tbh. They arrived at a transitional period in British music at a time where bands had just started sharing their content on social media (MySpace) before the likes of Spotify kicked in. They were also incredibly young and mysterious and carried this swagger about them that wasn’t arrogance but more of an indifference towards the fame and hype surrounding them. Their first album and all the other songs they released before 2007 (as well as their girls aloud live lounge cover) were incredible with a certain romance being their stand out song (imo) that they would always finish their sets with. I was fairly disappointed in their second album and even more disappointed when they omitted certain romance from their late 2007 set list (they played it at titp that year) and since then I have been fairly fond of everything they’ve done without feeling any further endearment towards them. Their Glastonbury set in 2023 was pretty confusing for me. I have no idea what their style is supposed to be nowadays and if I didn’t know any better I’d just think they were pretentious middle aged arseholes swaggering about in suits with the lead singer making incoherent mumblings towards the audience inbetween the absolute butchering of all their songs. I find it impressive that a band can headline the pyramid stage some 17 years after making their Glastonbury debut as teenagers and yet come across as so unlikeable on a personal level. 

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Arctic monkeys are a very unique case tbh. They arrived at a transitional period in British music at a time where bands had just started sharing their content on social media (MySpace) before the likes of Spotify kicked in. They were also incredibly young and mysterious and carried this swagger about them that wasn’t arrogance but more of an indifference towards the fame and hype surrounding them. Their first album and all the other songs they released before 2007 (as well as their girls aloud live lounge cover) were incredible with a certain romance being their stand out song (imo) that they would always finish their sets with. I was fairly disappointed in their second album and even more disappointed when they omitted certain romance from their late 2007 set list (they played it at titp that year) and since then I have been fairly fond of everything they’ve done without feeling any further endearment towards them. Their Glastonbury set in 2023 was pretty confusing for me. I have no idea what their style is supposed to be nowadays and if I didn’t know any better I’d just think they were pretentious middle aged arseholes swaggering about in suits with the lead singer making incoherent mumblings towards the audience inbetween the absolute butchering of all their songs. I find it impressive that a band can headline the pyramid stage some 17 years after making their Glastonbury debut as teenagers and yet come across as so unlikeable on a personal level. 

I'd be more interested in knowing if they still play this live or have enough self-awareness to notice their own lack of self-awareness: