Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

I've went down a bit of a 2000s Indie rabbit hole  remembered  Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, one song of note, loved by NME and most notable for having the actor who played Sophie's brother in Peep Show as the lead singer 

image.jpeg.2485f2ba23d7798b43e3a4214673aa9f.jpeg

Edited by Bert Raccoon

8 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Glad to hear, MGMT were a fine band probably unfairly grouped with all the other bands around that time when they really were so much more 

My recollection of MGMT - who did break through a few years before I started going to gigs - is that when they were touring their second album they were prone to including a 12 minute b-side from it in their live sets which killed them off a bit here. Based on my time on American parts of the internet though they still exist and are considered worthwhile. Like many bands listed here they're still going (an album out this year even) but just aren't as prominent as they were when their first album and big hit(s) were out. 

8 hours ago, Ross. said:

Linked to that, Kula Shaker. A few decent songs and one cracking cover, then absolutely f**k all.

That's who I immediately thought of. Their debut album, K (I wonder if they planned 9 more follow ups starting with U?) was pretty decent - my mate Craig used to play it on repeat and he was also a fan of the later Beatles stuff so they went well together.

9 hours ago, Rugster said:

Jim Corr is now a monster raving looney conspiracy theorist.

Felt a bit for him when the Corrs were big - their album had the three sisters and Jim on the cover and the price sticker was always on his face. He then went a bit worm brained as you say, and I think all his girlfriends/his wife look like his sisters...

1 hour ago, Hauftimedraw said:

No mention of 

The Stone Roses??

One of those bands that have probably sold more t-shirts than records. 

The legal dispute with the record label delayed their second album by 5 years.  By the time they released the Second Coming Squire was rumoured to be increasingly abusing cocaine.  This was causing significant friction in the band as was the direction their sound was taking.

13 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The Darkness. Phoned in sick to T in the Park and never heard from them again. 

Yeah they hit a bit of wilderness with rehab and cancer scares plus members falling out but they're back. Went to see them at the tail end of last year and they were utterly brilliant live. They released a documentary recently too which is worth a watch

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Jeff Beck was everywhere and then nowhere.

Bravo, sir

I'll throw Australian rock band Jet into the mix. I had their Get Born album on repeat for months (and still regularly listen to it in the car) but can't remember hearing much if anything from them since

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Glad to hear, MGMT were a fine band probably unfairly grouped with all the other bands around that time when they really were so much more 

Their second album was a stinker and that was the end of them. I remember it getting all sorts of awful reviews when it got released. They were popular for a few months in 2008 around about time Glasvegas were big. Both artist reminded me of come downs at that time.

I remember hard fi releasing an abysmal album in 2011 and then falling off the radar altogether. Not that they were particularly good to start with but haven’t seen them mentioned yet.

Towers Of London, couldn't name one song of theirs yet they toured with The Pouges and Guns & Roses, had their own TV series on Bravo and the lead singer appeared in Celebrity Big Brother 

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I've went down a bit of a 2000s Indie rabbit hole  remembered  Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, one song of note, loved by NME and most notable for having the actor who played Sophie's brother in Peep Show as the lead singer.

He was in Nathan Barley too. 

The NME spent about 10 years hyping numerous indie plodders as the next big thing. They'd get particularly aroused about American bands, most of whom were never seen again. The Drums spring to mind. 

Possibly more of a one hit wonder but that Bran Van 3000 song was everywhere for a wee while sometime in the late 90s. Still a tune actually. 

Edited by Gibby82

5 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

The NME spent about 10 years hyping numerous indie plodders as the next big thing. They'd get particularly aroused about American bands, most of whom were never seen again. The Drums spring to mind. 

The period where they tried to set up an Oasis vs Blur style rivalry between The Killers and The Bravery (remember them? Probably not apart from that one song that wasn't too bad) was a particular highlight of that period 

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

Toploader, mentioned earlier on this thread, also played there a while ago

Toploader are not only absolutely shite but also massive Tories

19 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Towers Of London, couldn't name one song of theirs yet they toured with The Pouges and Guns & Roses, had their own TV series on Bravo and the lead singer appeared in Celebrity Big Brother 

They had a couple of decent tunes on their debut album, off the top of my head Air Guitar and I'm a Rat were solid. Most of their success was found through the antics of their frontman though. He tried to be the punk stereotype; fighting backstage, damaging property but ended up looking like a dafty. His appearance on Never Mind the Buzzcocks was probably the highlight AND end of their career when Simon Amstell destroyed him

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

They had a couple of decent tunes on their debut album, off the top of my head Air Guitar and I'm a Rat were solid. Most of their success was found through the antics of their frontman though. He tried to be the punk stereotype; fighting backstage, damaging property but ended up looking like a dafty. His appearance on Never Mind the Buzzcocks was probably the highlight AND end of their career when Simon Amstell destroyed him

I remember that, did he not spark up a cigarette trying to be rebellious and got torn a new one off Amstell?

16 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I remember that, did he not spark up a cigarette trying to be rebellious and got torn a new one off Amstell?

Yeah, Amstell just kept showing how ridiculous the whole act was and I can't remember if Mr Tourette stormed off. I remember Preston from the Ordinary Boys going n a huff but can't remember if Tourette did too

3 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Thinking back to my Indie Disco days of my 20s, off the top of my head we've got The Datsuns, The Automatic, The Klaxons, Ladyhawke and MGMT. No idea if any of them are still going 

One of the Klaxons is now married to Keira Knightley. 

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

I will, however, die on this hill:

Maximo Park were / are fucking brilliant.

They're playing The Queen's Hall in Edinburgh this autumn, and my ticket is safely pouched.