Alloa v Queens

4 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

We’re definitely looking lightweight in midfield and upfront today with considerably more Queens players sitting in the stand than on the bench. Compared to last week, we’re a completely different (and much lesser) team without Lyon, Dickinson and Cochrane. We haven’t played remotely well in the first half, though Alloa haven’t been much better themselves (although they should have taken the lead with a free header in the box towards the end of the first half). One positive - Jack Brydon has been absolutely immense - he’s been everywhere today - standing out at the back and helping out in attack (he’s probably threatened more than any of our attacking players). A draw would be a decent result today. The sooner some of these injured players get back the better. 

Thanks for the update - pretty much as expected given the starting line-up and the (very) limited subs bench.

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks for the update - pretty much as expected given the starting line-up and the (very) limited subs bench.

Alloa well on top in the second half so far, just hit the bar with a header. Could be a long second half. We keep giving the ball away (the entire midfield have been guilty of this, though Luissint seems to be having a bit of a ‘mare - first time I’ve seen him so hope it’s uncharacteristic). Oscar MacIntyre just gave it away there and nearly cost us a goal. Will be lucky to get a draw out of this the way things are going. 

Edited by Frankie S

Well, 0-0 ... with that starting line up and bench I'll take that all day long - even if we rode our luck.

Queens fans knew our limitations coming into this: lack of squad depth, key midfielders out injured and lack of punch up front.  The positive I'm going to take for now is that hopefully we'll be tighter at the back this season than we have been for quite a few seasons of late.

I just get that horrible feeling as we approach 90 minutes so hopefully we are tighter at the back this year. A good point. Looks like Annan and Stenny top on day one

Excellent point given the circumstances.

Amazing to think we had 15 fit players including the sub keeper while cash-strapped ICT named 9 subs and Annan fielded 7 ex-Queens players at various times during their games today.

Edited by Slipmat
games in plural

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

All things considered, we’ll take that! A point at Alloa is an acceptable result at the best of times, it’s a pretty decent one with so many players missing. 

Couldn’t make it today but acceptable result given injuries. Need to find a way to get some goals tho

6 minutes ago, Artemis said:

First time for 5 years that Queens haven’t lost their opening league fixture (0-0 at Arbroath in 2019).

I think we have a terrible opening day record, going back a long way.

I seem to remember a home win in the first game in 1994, being one of only 2 or 3 in something ridiculous like the following 20 seasons.

That was a tough watch and while quality attacking play was practically non-existent the team fought really hard, defended well and ground out a good point in all the circumstances. That was a game that would most certainly have been lost last season but we have to hope that key injuries will clear up quickly and/or some decent new recruits will appear over the horizon. We cannot contemplate going into a long run of games with that limited line up (especially up front).

A few positives though - the back 3 was solid - Brydon had a great game given his limited game time. Third time I have seen Ross and he has acquitted himself really well in a tough physically demanding wing back role. We look as though we might be a threat from set pieces (haven't been able to say that for some time). The "agricultural" long throws are a decent weapon as we have a few players who actually look as though they will attack the ball in the opposition box.

Front players really struggled although service from midfield was practically non-existent. McKechnie worked hard but Kennedy looks lost in his No 10 role. Need to find a way to get him on the ball if he has retained his ball carrying ability.

Feel sorry for Murphy - you can see that he is a good organiser and he has already instilled a bit of backbone into the team notwithstanding the horrendous injury list. 

Alloa certainly have enough good players to be a threat at top end of table. They will see this as two points dropped on the balance of play but if truth be told they created very few good chances.

Thought our much maligned keeper had a decent game too. We defended pretty well but didn’t look a threat up front. Given the players missing a decent point. Kennedy by all accounts has ability but looked like he’d put his boots on the wrong feet. 

Jack Brydon was immense today. I’d be surprised if there was a better performer in the league this afternoon. 

Benji I thought was woeful however. I’ll trust Murphy with this signing although on each occasion I’ve seen him I’m yet to be convinced

special mention to Ben Johnstone who again I thought performed well. Shame he doesn’t have the confidence or the instruction just to run with the ball through the middle of the park from box to box. I think he’s capable 

3 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said: 

Benji I thought was woeful however. I’ll trust Murphy with this signing although on each occasion I’ve seen him I’m yet to be convinced. 

To me Benji looks like the typical midfield spoiler, there to stop the other team playing. In that respect I thought he did fine but certainly he was poor in an attacking sense. 
We already look better organised than we did last season but work to do going forward. 

14 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

image.thumb.png.3a55c0fcbd70e4366551f3493e664dbc.png

think a picture tells a lot. Alloa frustrated at the draw. Queen of the South vociferously celebrating.

Given the injuries we had, thats hardly surprising.

9 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

Jack Brydon was immense today. I’d be surprised if there was a better performer in the league this afternoon. 

Benji I thought was woeful however. I’ll trust Murphy with this signing although on each occasion I’ve seen him I’m yet to be convinced

special mention to Ben Johnstone who again I thought performed well. Shame he doesn’t have the confidence or the instruction just to run with the ball through the middle of the park from box to box. I think he’s capable 

Benji looked off the pace today. I thought he looked like a player whos just been out with an injury.

A lot of positives to take from the game, including the performance of Johnstone and Brydon.

Ultimately, both sides created chances and will be a little disappointed not to win but neither side deserved to lose. A draw was a fair result overall

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

We haven’t played remotely well in the first half, though Alloa haven’t been much better themselves (although they should have taken the lead with a free header in the box towards the end of the first half).

I think Ross did enough to put him off tbf. I'd also say it wasn't any bigger a chance than the one Walker had for us. If someone had told him/he knew he had more time then I expect he'd have scored. McKechnie had a shot that was about as close as anything Alloa created in the first half as well. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, 0-0 ... with that starting line up and bench I'll take that all day long - even if we rode our luck.

I don't think we rode our luck tbh. There was one 'scramble' in the box late in the second half that thankfully we blocked/it broke our way but even when Alloa applied pressure we dealt with everything comfortably I felt. 

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

think a picture tells a lot. Alloa frustrated at the draw. Queen of the South vociferously celebrating.

Absolutely. We were a depleted side at a venue we rarely do well it on a day we rarely get a result. I was delighted as well. Having said that, I expect our goalkeeper will have far trickier afternoons. 

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Couldn’t make it today but acceptable result given injuries. Need to find a way to get some goals tho

A draw at Alloa is always acceptable regardless of our line-up tbf. 

Very pleased with a point today particularly given our lineup. Thought our defending was absolutely outstanding and it's a game we'd have crumbled in last season. I was delighted Graham chose to keep Sammon on the bench as I thought it was the only way Alloa were going to score was Brydon finally being beaten to a header and Sammon would have been Alloa's best bet. When they finally came close the bar thankfully saved us. Alloa must have had about 70% possession overall but again, they rarely tested Stewart which says it all about how well we defended. At the other end we had a couple of good chances in the first half, a decent shot from Walker in the second but overall never really threatened either. I agree that I thought Benji looked off it in the middle but Johnstone put in a good shift alongside him. 

Very encouraging overall. If we can dig out a result at Alloa with a depleted squad I'm excited to see how well we can do when our key players/loanees come in. 

46 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Well except that photo isnt the final whistle. Its Ross Stewart rushing from his line to high five both Jack Brydon and Mikey Hewitt for throwing their bodies in the way of injury time shots to prevent a goal. 

In the circumstances for us today with 4 or 5 starters out thats a very acceptable 0-0 away to one of the better sides in the division. Alloa were the better side, second half particularly, but we weren't celebrating a 0-0 like we won a cup final and its misleading to suggest we were.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well except that photo isnt the final whistle. Its Ross Stewart rushing from his line to high five both Jack Brydon and Mikey Hewitt for throwing their bodies in the way of injury time shots to prevent a goal.

Heroic Bryden throwing his body placing his foot in front of O'Donnell 😂