Southport stabbings

Struggling to decide exactly what Saint Sammy decided to red dot in my previous post…that the U.S. is more violent than the UK or that violence against all people should be addressed, but in no way reducing the importance of the need to focus on violence against women and children right now?

Edited by TxRover

On 02/08/2024 at 15:00, Bairnardo said:

Immigrants aren't the only target of course. It's just generally people who are worse off than you. 

I was in my local the other week and overheard a woman ranting on about foreigners coming in this country and getting everything for free whilst people who were born here get nothing for free.... Then she effortlessly pivoted to benefits scum getting everything while those who have worked aw thur days get f**k all. 

I don't know she actually bottomed out who if anyone should be entitled to help. It just seemed like she wanted to make sure there was always sufficient people being crushed by the heel of society to keep her happy. 

Lewis Hamilton bought a private plane for £16.5 million.  He flew it to the Isle of Man just once and thus was able to avoid £3.3 million in VAT.  Compare that to your benefit cheats and see who the real cheats are.

13 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Lewis Hamilton bought a private plane for £16.5 million.  He flew it to the Isle of Man just once and thus was able to avoid £3.3 million in VAT.  Compare that to your benefit cheats and see who the real cheats are.

100% this.

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

First 3 or 4 football shirts on show...Rangers.

BBC News - Watch: Clashes and burning cars at protests in UK - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/c728897wz85o

Christ, this stuff is depressing.

It must be genuinely frightening for lots of people in various communities.

Is it not embarrassing for the party that just stopped governing a month ago, to have their "Stop the Boats" pledge adopted as a motto for these cretinous thugs?

Completely irresponsible posturing from the Tories in the first place.

Where do people stand on the anti-racist demonstrations that have sprung up in some of these cities, resulting in stand-offs, with police in the middle?

I'm unsure. I like that support for immigrant communities is being expressed.  A counter narrative from 'normal' people is welcome.  I wonder though, if having two sides shouting at each other is ideal.  It might be making life yet harder for police.

I'm totally behind the cleaning up of wrecked areas, but in the context of this week's horror, I worry about the spectacle of 2 sides in mouthy conflict.

Thoughts?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is it not embarrassing for the party that just stopped governing a month ago, to have their "Stop the Boats" pledge adopted as a motto for these cretinous thugs?

Where do people stand on the anti-racist demonstrations that have sprung up in some of these cities, resulting in stand-offs, with police in the middle?

I'm unsure. I like that support for immigrant communities is being expressed.  A counter narrative from 'normal' people is welcome.  I wonder though, if having two sides shouting at each other is ideal though.  It might be making life yet harder for police.

I'm totally behind the cleaning up of wrecked areas, but in the context of this week's horror, I worry about the spectacle of 2 sides in mouthy conflict.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Well, I think the police might just be stretched to their limit tonight.

That’s the police that have had their numbers cut (butchered) in the last 14 years. 

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Thoughts? Well, I think the police might just be stretched to their limit tonight.

That’s the police that have had their numbers cut (butchered) in the last 14 years. 

Indeed.

I was asking about the counter demonstrations happening though.

51 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm unsure. I like that support for immigrant communities is being expressed.  A counter narrative from 'normal' people is welcome.  I wonder though, if having two sides shouting at each other is ideal.  It might be making life yet harder for police.

Thoughts?

I generally think the counter protests are a good thing. I’ve seen a few examples of counter protestors helping the cops - there was an old boy jumped in to help a cop that had been knocked off his motorbike by the fash today in (I’m pretty sure) Liverpool. A lot of these fuds like to pretend they’re some sort of silent minority that’s ’had enough’. Let them know they’re not; that they’re just fuds. 

ETA - silent MAJority; derp

Edited by carpetmonster

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Thoughts?

Escalation is rarely the answer to these things.

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

I generally think the counter protests are a good thing. I’ve seen a few examples of counter protestors helping the cops - there was an old boy jumped in to help a cop that had been knocked off his motorbike by the fash today in (I’m pretty sure) Liverpool. A lot of these fuds like to pretend they’re some sort of silent minority that’s ’had enough’. Let them know they’re not; that they’re just fuds. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Escalation is rarely the answer to these things.

Both these answers capture my contradictory views here.

I worry that these guys are ramping things up, yet at the same time I feel that what the racist  morons are doing needs challenged.

I think you're both right and both wrong.

I'm thinking of where I'd stand if that kind of unrest came here.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm thinking of where I'd stand if that kind of unrest came here.

I’d recommend standing in your house. 

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:

Not standing up to fascists is definitely not the answer.

I think you can stand up to them but confronting them directly while they're violent is going to just lead to major issues.

Ideally you let the police get a hand on the situation as people shed away away during the week and then you start organising stuff to show there's a sizeable number that disagree with them.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm unsure. I like that support for immigrant communities is being expressed.  A counter narrative from 'normal' people is welcome.  I wonder though, if having two sides shouting at each other is ideal though.  It might be making life yet harder for police.

Thoughts?

Protestors protesting protestors protesting? No issue as long as they are reasonably peaceful.