Stirling Albion v Elgin City

Forthbank Stadium sees its first league game of the season this Saturday. Must admit, I’m looking forward to getting along and it should be a good game against 2 sides that kicked their league campaigns off with a win.

In another thread, I have tipped Elgin to be something of a dark horse this season, genuinely think they have recruited well and from the outside, Allan Hale looks to have done a fantastic job since coming in.

We’re still growing as a team, and although Saturday’s performance probably wasn’t what was expected, we came away with the win and there were certainly positives to take from the game. 

Talking of growing, I wouldn’t be too shocked to see another player or 2 joins the club before the game. With the squad numbers probably reaching close to full, I still think there’s probably space for another 1 or 2 additions and with players still being available without clubs and teams at the higher end of the food chain now starting to settle, I’m sure AM will still be looking for a couple of other additions.

The big test for Elgin, and what will ultimately decide what battle they're involved in, will be if they can start winning away games.

Only two away wins since Hale came in, and one of those they played against ten men for 45 minutes.

Their home record should have them sitting comfortably in the top four, if they can balance that with some away results.

4 hours ago, David W said:

The big test for Elgin, and what will ultimately decide what battle they're involved in, will be if they can start winning away games.

Only two away wins since Hale came in, and one of those they played against ten men for 45 minutes.

Their home record should have them sitting comfortably in the top four, if they can balance that with some away results.

Worth nothing we’d managed one draw in nine months on the road prior to him coming in. We do need better away form for sure but the progress is there

It will be interesting to see if we go with a similar lineup this weekend. It would be hard to argue it didn't work given the result and overall performance but I still need a bit of convincing that it's the way forward. Soapy at right centre back was effective but there are other selections Hale made that I'm not sure on. Given it's a winning team I doubt he'll change much.

13 minutes ago, afca32 said:

It will be interesting to see if we go with a similar lineup this weekend. It would be hard to argue it didn't work given the result and overall performance but I still need a bit of convincing that it's the way forward. Soapy at right centre back was effective but there are other selections Hale made that I'm not sure on. Given it's a winning team I doubt he'll change much.

I was really taken with Sargent when he came on. I’d maybe swap him with Gavin for this one. Although I’d not complain if we put the same team out again and had Sargent coming off the bench, has shown he can make a real impact

Edited by CrispyMelon

2 hours ago, CrispyMelon said:

I was really taken with Sargent when he came on. I’d maybe swap him with Gavin for this one. Although I’d not complain if we put the same team out again and had Sargent coming off the bench, has shown he can make a real impact

Yip I like Sargeant based on what I've seen. Would agree with that change. I thought Gavin did ok.

Really not sure what the starting 11 will be - Saturday was a complete surprise given how we had set up pre season/cup. Soapy did a pretty decent job in defence but I’d be quite surprised if that is a permanent thing given his ability. If we can put in another solid performance and get at least a point it will be a great start to the season. Sure Stirling will be looking for 3 points in their 1st home game but I’m more optimistic of us picking up points away from home that I have been for years! 

I think 3 at the back does work with the players Elgin have. But I would maybe tweek it in front of them. Would think Draper will replace Soapy. 

Would like to see a midfield 3 of Soapy, Gallagher and Dingwall with 2 from Golding, Gavin or Sargent up front. 

1 hour ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

On the lack of Elgin away wins. Elgin have won 4 of the last 6 games at Forthbank.

Doesn't surprise me. Awkward is probably the first adjective that comes to mind if you asked me to describe Elgin as an opponent.

The Alan Maybury era has started off not too badly.

As expected we still sometimes look like a new team but not half as much as I thought we would and that's a credit to the manager.

It's a much younger team than we've been used to and i think that could definitely lead to inconsistency at some point.

I think the win on Saturday can only increase the confidence and I'd be disappointed to see us lose this week. Last season was pretty dire but we still didn't lose a lot of games at home.

Don't know how the injury situation will be by Saturday but hopefully get some of the senior players back fit  Milne and Hilson weren't exactly flavour of most weeks last season but both should be more than effective league 2 players.

I'm going for a narrow binos win.

With matches against arguably the three favourites for the league coming up back to back over the next few weeks (Clyde, East Fife & Spartans), it's important we get something from this game. Elgin have started well and it will be a tough test for this young side. Hopefully a narrow home win to take us into a tough run of matches. 

The Binos squad is not as young as some people seem to think.There's plenty of experience in there with seven of last Saturday's starting side over the age of 26 and players like Dale Hilson,Lewis Milne and Ross Davidson(maybe)still to come back. With Callum Mckinley 23/24,Sam Denham 21 and Bailey Dall 20,all with reasonable experience there too.

Alan Maybury looks like giving some of the younger guys a chance to shine as well,so I have a very positive feeling about this season.The squad will need time to gel,just like every other side in the league.

Elgin look like tough opponents on Saturday but I think we will have enough to take the points.

Have no idea what to expect on Saturday. Felt we just about edged it against Edinburgh, but if we're honest they look to be a poor team this season. There is quality in our team, but I suspect there will be inconsistency due to the number of young players we have. The next three games will tell us a lot about where we truly are.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MrBeeno said:

The Binos squad is not as young as some people seem to think.There's plenty of experience in there with seven of last Saturday's starting side over the age of 26 and players like Dale Hilson,Lewis Milne and Ross Davidson(maybe)still to come back. With Callum Mckinley 23/24,Sam Denham 21 and Bailey Dall 20,all with reasonable experience there too.

Alan Maybury looks like giving some of the younger guys a chance to shine as well,so I have a very positive feeling about this season.The squad will need time to gel,just like every other side in the league.

Elgin look like tough opponents on Saturday but I think we will have enough to take the points.

This is actually very valid. I just looked through the ages on Transfer Market and we’re certainly not as young as maybe I am making out we are.

Edited by BB_Bino

I think that the point is that it's a sqaud that are still starting to get to know each other & each other's game, then the style of play the manager wants to implement....  however the sqaud is really young in the midfield with very limited 1st team experience,, Harrison Howe 17.... Harley Ewan 19.... Ricky Waugh 19... Callum Crane 28... who at times swapped with Bailey Dall 20 because Crane was blawin out his ass 🥵

So that's what i think the young sqaud comes from,, considering how vital the midfield is in a game it will make mistakes of course & it will learn, but it's alot of pressure on them being so young... that's why i think a fit & match fit Ross Davidson would be a great sounding board for the younger lads but also someone to learn from... 

Cammy McKiinley has Roy & Carrick to learn from 

Dall, Harkness, Denham have Geach,Sula & Kerr to learn from 

The midfield as mentioned above,, including Harry Wright 18.... who have they got to learn from/lean on during the tougher times & bit of dig.... Hilson a makeshift midfielder... Milne who can't/won't tackle or track back, Davidson who's injured.... so these guy's in the middle of the park need a bit of help & i think the gaffer will look at trying to bring in a tough tackling no flair midfielder to do the hard graft to help the youngsters..

IMO i feel the only reason we still have Hilson & Milne is the fact they were 2 yr contracts when we signed them,, I'd have no complaints if both left in the summer & it freed up a bit of cash to re-invest