Montrose v QOS (17:30 KO)

4 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

The Cochrane red card surely we can appeal it looked a booking all day long but a silly challenge to make .

Violent conduct all day long for me and any appeal would be quickly shown the waste paper basket I would think.

Edited by Slipmat

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Waste of money to appeal it. It's a red card all day long.

Just now, Slipmat said:

Violent conduct all day long for me and any appeal would be quickly shown the waste paper basket I would think.

Sadly so. It's not the red that's angered me more the inconsistency of the officials. Nothing new there though. It's even more frustrating when the challenge leaves us with another injury. 

The performance wasn't a million miles from that we delivered against Cove a fortnight ago.

We didn't get lucky this time though.  

We're not doing enough in games to achieve control.  This is only a reality check for those that needed one.

I thought we struggled on what looked to be a "bouncy" pitch in windy conditions, something we used to blame the Palmerston pitch for, but it seems it's not exclusive to Palmerston. Montrose on the other hand looked like they probably actually practice on their own pitch.

Don't like to pick on our own players, but if McKechnie could find holes in the defence when playing through balls the way he manages to find the space between Queens' players he'd be some player.

Very honest comments from the Queens fans. They like Montrose are a team in transition and when they get it together I think they will be up there this season. The Mo are at present a squad of youngsters and experience which needs to blend together so today without the two most experienced players they did quite well. The two missing were Sean Dillon who was suspended and Michael Gardyne who came on as a sub after 60 minutes as a replacement for another experienced player Terry Masson.

Overall I think Peter Murphy will get it right and I hope Queens fans stay with him while he does it.

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given the guys have been out injured they may not be 100% to start just yet. That aside you never change a winning side. 

We weren't good enough today but the line-up wasn't something that I could pick fault with. 

Don’t agree with that. Sometimes it is the team that finished the previous game that looked better than the one that started even if both contributed to a win. And if a team scrapes a win when their best player is sidelined (Dobbie, for example) it doesn’t follow that you would start the same team the following week. 
I think the starting line-up was more to do with your first point. 
Just add that I think Cochrane misses the next two league games (previously I think it was the next two games). Brydon looks like he’ll be out for longer than that (hamstring injuries are rarely just a week or two) and I don’t think O’Donnell will be back quickly because it looked like a twist rather than an impact injury. Just when Queens are starting to get players back, there’s three out.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The performance wasn't a million miles from that we delivered against Cove a fortnight ago.

We didn't get lucky this time though.  

We're not doing enough in games to achieve control.  This is only a reality check for those that needed one.

That’s a fair comment.

We have been more competitive and better organised this season but the underlying quality is lacking hence the reason we can’t take proper control of games. If we could get our best 11 on the pitch it would certainly help but that looks a forlorn hope. Can’t see us winning the league with such a lack of firepower but young Bryden might make a difference.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Given the guys have been out injured they may not be 100% to start just yet. That aside you never change a winning side. 

We weren't good enough today but the line-up wasn't something that I could pick fault with. 

Who knows what state of fitness players were in but if they were all able to start then manager made a poor selection. We know Mo are big and strong and didn’t pick a team to counter that with McKenzie, Walker and Kennedy not able to compete. Struggled from minute one. Murphy got it wrong for once and the team just didn’t turn up. Wind and ref didn’t help but we were the agent of our own downfall. Well done to Montrose. 

4 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

In some good news for Montrose fans, I’m hearing that the price of fish at market is going up. At least they’ll have something to take their minds off the hiding their team is about to receive. 

This went well then Mazzy. Well and truly kippered. 

As an irrelevant aside, I watched the game on I-player and it was also on in another room on regular telly.  After about 20 minutes, my daughter wandered through and said quite casually that Queens had scored.

I was obviously delighted but a little pissed off that she'd ruined the euphoria of the approaching moment.  I'll leave you to guess at my language when the team in blue duly took the lead.

Please don't think this is some cute tale.  She's not 6; she's almost 22. 

If she's lucky, I may speak to her again before she reaches 30.

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

If you could avoid posting any more that would be great thanks!

FTFY

38 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

It’s serious foul play, not violent conduct. Stick on red, though, unfortunately.

I thought we weren’t awful, but the loss was deserved. Their keeper made 2 great saves, but can’t really have any complaints. 

14 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

Very honest comments from the Queens fans. They like Montrose are a team in transition and when they get it together I think they will be up there this season. The Mo are at present a squad of youngsters and experience which needs to blend together so today without the two most experienced players they did quite well. The two missing were Sean Dillon who was suspended and Michael Gardyne who came on as a sub after 60 minutes as a replacement for another experienced player Terry Masson.

Overall I think Peter Murphy will get it right and I hope Queens fans stay with him while he does it.

Me too. But there's been more activity post match tonight than there was after a Derby win last weekend. I'm convinced some QoS fans aren't happy unless they're unhappy :lol:

13 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Who knows what state of fitness players were in but if they were all able to start then manager made a poor selection. We know Mo are big and strong and didn’t pick a team to counter that with McKenzie, Walker and Kennedy not able to compete. Struggled from minute one. Murphy got it wrong for once and the team just didn’t turn up. Wind and ref didn’t help but we were the agent of our own downfall. Well done to Montrose. 

Is there some mental block that stops you getting McKechnie's name right? Last time it was McAnespie, this time McKenzie, hopefully if we manage to get enough players fit, he'll not be on the park to have to worry about his name I suppose.

38 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is there some mental block that stops you getting McKechnie's name right? Last time it was McAnespie, this time McKenzie, hopefully if we manage to get enough players fit, he'll not be on the park to have to worry about his name I suppose.

It’s spell check and sitting in the back of somebody’s car on the way back from Montrose. After that performance if all people have to comment on is a miss spelled name then so be it. It’s a blip and one point off top but pressure on for us to rebound next week at a ground we don’t usually do well at. Fingers crossed the manager picks well and players fired up got it. Long way to go this season

Good win that...

Think we just edged that and deserved the win to be fair,Queens are a good team and you can see they will cause teams problems.

Montrose looked pretty steady at the back and got the vital goal,special mention to Craig Smith who I thought had a right good game.