Dundee Utd v St Johnstone FC (KKK)

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Good grief, Dundee United really huffed and puffed against a St Johnstone side who haven’t even done any of their key transfer dealings yet. We’re really going to be cooking from September onwards. Sensed a fair amount of fear amongst the Arabs upon departing the ground. A lot of panicked whispers etc.

Deluded.

Interesting narrative that Saints threw away a game in which they created literally nothing bar the crazy back pass which gifted them a sitter.

Both teams were garbage in the first half, then United scored a good goal, changed shape and dominated the rest of the game. Sidebe lucky to last as long as he did and Saints collectively lost it long before the end. Lucky to finish with 10 men. Looked like Rae punched the ball into the net for the second goal.

Three league games this season in which we have struggled for a sustained period playing two in midfield.  I get that Goodwin is keen to get three forwards pinning the opposition defence but it leaves us very light in the middle. Today we didn't even get three forwards up front as Babunski floated between the front line and midfield and didn't manage to contribute properly to either. As soon as we went to a three in midfield we took control of the game and looked much more comfortable. 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Should have been sent off for trying to kill Walton.

One of several baffling decisions from Robertson.  How Carey avoided not one but two yellows in quick succession at the end is anyone’s guess.

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

One of several baffling decisions from Robertson.  How Carey avoided not one but two yellows in quick succession at the end is anyone’s guess.

That one was quite funny. I panicked at the second one not realising he'd somehow escaped a booking for the one before. 

Thought Saints were decent for 60 minutes and marginally the better side. Whilst not wanting to be overly simplistic, you need to take your chances and you can't gift goals. Rae has to do better at the first and the second is a disaster. Someone earlier that with Mitov in goal were probably win that and it's hard to disagree. 

Not news we need a senior midfielder - worrying that Levein left that out post game when talking about centre halves, wingers and cover at left back. 

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Do Dundee United have a song about domestic abuse as their “goal music” (urgh)?

My thoughts too.  

As if playing a song when a goal is scored isn't embarrassing enough.

34 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Think that summed up his game in the middle today. Some absolutely baffling decisions.

Both were types of challenges I've seen given yellows before.

1 hour ago, kdyteejay said:

Deluded.

I’m just being real with you. There’s no chance that you’ll be competing with a full-strength St Johnstone side for a place in the top six if today’s performance was anything to go by. In fact, you’ll be fortunate to beat the drop.

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Think that summed up his game in the middle today. Some absolutely baffling decisions.

Both were types of challenges I've seen given yellows before.

He should definitely have been booked for the first one down near the corner. Having not been booked for that he should definitely have been booked for the second one. Very odd decision making.

Whoever it was playing up on the left for United was very naive a few times getting too tight to his man or nudging the guy jumping for a header instead of competing for it in the air - that was noising up the United fans quite badly but I think mostly those decisions were correct.

Worst decision of the day was Levein leaving Sidibeh out there after the collision with Walton.

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Do Dundee United have a song about domestic abuse as their “goal music” (urgh)?

Thought that too. Presumably whoever chose it just looked at the name of the song and not the lyrics.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He should definitely have been booked for the first one down near the corner. Having not been booked for that he should definitely have been booked for the second one. Very odd decision making.

Whoever it was playing up on the left for United was very naive a few times getting too tight to his man or nudging the guy jumping for a header instead of competing for it in the air - that was noising up the United fans quite badly but I think mostly those decisions were correct.

Worst decision of the day was Levein leaving Sidibeh out there after the collision with Walton.

Think you need quotation marks for "collision".

At half time I was sure a player wouldn't last 90 minutes, but I was thinking one of United's full backs were prime candidates. Credit to the pair of them for controlled displays thereafter, excepting Luca Stephenson's pass back right after his booking which led to ST Jays missing a sitter.

Sibideh was the next choice for a card, as I felt he was treading the line even before his first booking. He could have caused a bad injury with a push on Gallagher into Walton early on, and seemed to be very much on the edge: not the player I was expecting, having read good reviews.

Mind you, it could have been anyone getting sent off today, Don Robertson had a very poor match, which doesn't do much for the argument of encouraging ex professional players to become referees.

I thought we looked off it in the first half, trap and babunski were probably having their most ineffectual games i've seen them play. I can't understand why we aren't playing with a proper right sided attacker, it made us totally one dimensional and predictable. Ferry and trap are our two most dangerous players, but if you offer nothing going down the right hand side then they become easier to defend against. Babunski can't play the role that Miller Thomson and Fotheringham can. Second half we were much better, with a special shout out to Moult who was excellent when he came on. 

15 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I’m just being real with you. There’s no chance that you’ll be competing with a full-strength St Johnstone side for a place in the top six if today’s performance was anything to go by. In fact, you’ll be fortunate to beat the drop.

Seven matches unbeaten now.  Eight if you include a draw with Luton Town. 

I thought St Johnstone played ok today without making many chances other than the howler from Raymond, which was an absolute gift.  But I don’t think Saints will be seriously worried by relegation this year.  They’re beginning to look like a good solid Levein team.

Ross County and Hibs on the other hand… 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby said:

Sidibeh is a horrible little thug. He was never getting the ball ahead of Walton. I was sitting right in line with it.

My honest opinion he’s just an incompetent halfwit with a lot of physical attributes and is in fact nowhere near a footballer. 

Puts me in mind of a boy I played 5s with - was a serving royal marine commando - absolutely f**king woeful at football but just ran about like a f**king maniac for the full hour and often gave the illusion of competence. The difference is none of the boys who played with him regularly were making shouts that he could go as far as he wanted in the game.

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby said:

I thought we looked off it in the first half, trap and babunski were probably having their most ineffectual games i've seen them play. I can't understand why we aren't playing with a proper right sided attacker, it made us totally one dimensional and predictable. Ferry and trap are our two most dangerous players, but if you offer nothing going down the right hand side then they become easier to defend against. Babunski can't play the role that Miller Thomson and Fotheringham can. Second half we were much better, with a special shout out to Moult who was excellent when he came on. 

Think we were trying to shoehorn Babunski into the team in a way that gave us balance but it wasn't working, and with it being our only outlet they dealt well with the Ferry/Trapanovksi linkup down the left that has been our main source of chances this season. That's a few times now Goodwin has seen things aren't working and changed it to good effect though.