“B teams in SPFL would be good for Scottish football” - Philippe Clement

If only it was for the benefit of Scottish football, it’s purely for the OF benefit. They got in the lowland league and rangers went and signed a Colombian striker for their B team. Theres also been others from England and Ireland in their B sides, so yeah it’s for Scottish football…

1 hour ago, Dev said:

"For too long Scottish football fans have been too insular, too focussed on their own club rather than to consider anything that will benefit the wider game in Scotland."

........... but isn't that the problem ........ and right at the top of the game in Scotland?

If nothing else sort out a fair promotion/relegation structure for the pyramid i.e. from the top where the Old Firm play and right down to the very bottom , including the Amateurs/Welfare Associations. Get the foundations right!

I agree, a more equitable relegation should be looked at, especially in SPFL2, but the OF aren’t stopping that, it’s a lot of the teams from the lower leagues.

Sorting out one doesn’t preclude or exclude discussing the other.

Rangers so painfully want a B team in the SPFL, it fills my heart with joy every time they're told to get f**ked.

The old firm are a cancer who're only interested in sucking every bit of blood out of Scottish football they can.

f**k them.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Rangers so painfully want a B team in the SPFL, it fills my heart with joy every time they're told to get f**ked.

The old firm are a cancer who're only interested in sucking every bit of blood out of Scottish football they can.

f**k them.

Are you a former Sellick fan?

We have a loan system which is perfect for placing their b team players at the correct level.

They can even loan them to league sides and there’s nothing wrong with trying to form a good reserve season.

B teams in the league system only help the b teams club and is unfair on so many levels.

Theres an issue here that separate to the B teams discussion, which incidentally needs to be ended. It's a no. 

The issue is Phillipe Clement is a bald fraud who has been involved in our game for 5 minutes, who is employed by Rangers to look after Ranger first team. He will very likely get emptied within a year because of the entitlement of their mutant fans. His opinion on the betterment of the Scottish game is f**king irrelevant. 

18 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

I think it is a justifiable debate. What makes you say “we don’t need the B teams” - what if their inclusion did develop more young Scottish talent; what happens if it did bring more fans to the lower leagues? Isn’t that a debate worthwhile having? Isn’t that something we should investigate? I’m not saying it will (or should) happen, but surely it’s something worthy of discussion rather than simply saying “f***k off” offhand ……

For too long Scottish football fans have been too insular, too focussed on their own club rather than to consider anything that will benefit the wider game in Scotland.

If you can provide evidence that B teams develop Scottish talent and brought more fans to games then we can have a debate. They don't develop players, we can see this as virtually none of their B team squad have made it as first team players. We also have a wealth of evidence of matches involving them having utterly shit crowds. 

So no, it's not a debate worth having. They can f**k off.

The B teams have brought nothing to the lowland league, apart from appearing to potentially block a real team from getting to the playoff to a playoff promotion spot. So giving them league teams will just mean they block the normal promotion in those leagues instead.

Very few fans would go and watch their B teams play, the A team is hard enough a lot of the time. The loan system exists if you want to try your young folks out in competitive games and are too scared to play them in your own team… don’t see why there should be anything different.

And “Rangers boss has good of the Scottish youth football”… aye pull the other one.

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Clement fleshes out his proposal here:

Clement wants a Rangers B team to be allowed to play in the Championship
Rangers' Philippe Clement takes on Scottish football's political peculiarities: B teams, 'weird' Aberdeen case and request to journalists (scotsman.com)

Couple of interesting takeaways...

Firstly he namechecks 5 squad players who would benefit from Rangers B playing in Championship - only 2 of them are Scottish (plus 3 of them are actually already 21).

Secondly he criticises the Connor Barron situation... he wants Rangers to have to pay Aberdeen less £ compensation since a club abroad would be able to pay that - this would be more "progressive thinking".

Talking about Connor Barron...did I recently read about him being excited about the prospect of being called up to the Scotland squad ?  Is this the same Connor Barron who at Aberdeen was as near the Scottish squad as Ruth Davidson ?  Great to see the old traditions are still operating, he must have impressed greatly in his ten minutes at Ibrox.

20 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

I think it is a justifiable debate. What makes you say “we don’t need the B teams” - what if their inclusion did develop more young Scottish talent; what happens if it did bring more fans to the lower leagues? Isn’t that a debate worthwhile having? Isn’t that something we should investigate? I’m not saying it will (or should) happen, but surely it’s something worthy of discussion rather than simply saying “f***k off” offhand ……

For too long Scottish football fans have been too insular, too focussed on their own club rather than to consider anything that will benefit the wider game in Scotland.

The "wider game" that needs consiseration are the dozens of clubs that operate across Scotland. Not the Old Firm, not the clubs in Europe and not the national team.

Unlike other countries we have an established functioning league system of clubs (mostly) representing communities up and down the country who mean something to those communities.

Outside of England I doubt there is a other league in Europe who would have multiple clubs capable of pulling in three figure crowds at Tiers 7 and 8.

B Teams work in other countries because the Croatian league system doesn't matter and to be frank outside of the top 2 divisions neither do the league systems in countries like Spain.

I don't care if Hibs B v Thornton Hibs would make Scotland world cup winners. The national will have to find another way.

In short they can f**k off

Edited by invergowrie arab

If they did let b teams in the league they’d probably also have to allow every club in the country a b team.

You’d also probably end up with most of the premier leagues b teams in the top four leagues basically due to a better income.

Youd have several proper clubs drop to the lowland and never return clubs like E stirling and Albion rover ending up in The east and west of Scotland leagues.

What a mess they want to make.

Just get these b teams out now.

I’d Rather the old firm just moved to England.

9 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Or just invent another cup to dangle in front of the SPFL clubs in the Lowland League.

Money shouts louder than integrity.

There are no SPFL clubs in the Lowland League. (If there were it would be called the SPFL.)

On 24/08/2024 at 11:09, Dev said:

One of my gripes is the way that, effectively, the SFA went along with B teams in the LL and the Conference Division idea.

This, plus the failure to make the Pyramid system work fairly,  to me shows how out of touch the SFA has become and how complacent it seems to be. Too many conflicts of interest and no plan even to acknowledge that let alone do anything about it.

My views only. Others may well disagree!! 

You are correct but it wasn't just the SFA it was also the SPFL that were in cahoots together and joining them were guys like the Lowland League chairman, Thomas Brown,  they were all caught out and people realize what was actually happening.  The B teams do not below in the pyramid, now then, not now not ever.

On 24/08/2024 at 10:32, The Moonster said:

See, it's this sort of olive branch all this discussion is designed to create. The vast majority say "f**k off" as they should do, then you get some people debating that actually it would be fine if they met certain criteria and all of sudden a debate becomes justified. We don't need B teams at any level of the senior game. End of. The answer yesterday was f**k off, the answer today is f**k off, and the answer tomorrow will still be f**k off. 

As George Wallace (nearly) said "F*** off now, f*** off tomorrow, f*** off forever".

On 25/08/2024 at 09:42, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Talking about Connor Barron...did I recently read about him being excited about the prospect of being called up to the Scotland squad ?  Is this the same Connor Barron who at Aberdeen was as near the Scottish squad as Ruth Davidson ?  Great to see the old traditions are still operating, he must have impressed greatly in his ten minutes at Ibrox.

Barron was on standby for the Euros in the summer and is in exactly the same boat with this latest squad.

On 24/08/2024 at 11:09, Dev said:

One of my gripes is the way that, effectively, the SFA went along with B teams in the LL and the Conference Division idea.

This, plus the failure to make the Pyramid system work fairly,  to me shows how out of touch the SFA has become and how complacent it seems to be. Too many conflicts of interest and no plan even to acknowledge that let alone do anything about it.

My views only. Others may well disagree!! 

The SFA literally released a plan to do something about youth development earlier this week.

The SFA didn't go along with those plans for the B teams, it actively promoted the idea, probably at least in part because of a genuine belief that having B teams could help the national team in the long run - it was up to the SPFL, and specifically its clubs to actually vote on it, and fortunately they were soundly against it and it didn't even get to a vote in the end.

However, the good news on that front is that the SFA report mentioned above specifically noted that, while the authors felt that B teams in the second tier could be beneficial for the transition of players to the first team, it did not have support from the clubs and therefore wasn't a likely proposition. The report therefore suggested an alternative of "cooperation clubs", which would be a formal agreement between a higher tier and lower tier club to send 3-5 players out to them, but with the opportunity for instant recall if they are needed (eg in an injury crisis). I would guess this will become the SFA's new preferred approach and that they'll step away from any push for B teams.