Morton Minnows v Flying Falkirk

Having seen the highlights now and our penalty incident back I'm willing to concede our shout with Garrity was maybe not as clear cut from the refs view, if given would have fallen into the same category  of "soft but giving the ref a decision to make" pretty much the same as the one Falkirk received.

Again though none of that excuses our quick decline of energy levels through a game to allow teams to pressure us for the remainder of the 90 mins, whether that be from lack of fitness levels or dud subs/tactics. its disappointing to see Dougie revert to blaming the ref (who was indeed shocking) for the result rather then the elements of the game he can address and has addressed in the past. cant help think sharing a dugout with John "lets ban long throws" McGlynn has had a negative impact on him  

Edited by Pedro1874
Spelling

Imrie deliberately did a heads gone to deflect the limitations of his squad, his tactics & his subs…..suits him to blame the ref but I’m sure most insightful Morton fans know the real issue yesterday was their team was out fought, out ran & out thought.

4 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

See this stonewaller I keep reading about for Morten it's not on the highlights. The only incident I can think of is where a Morten player goes down in the box after Coll has taken the bal with a tackle but obviously that can't be this stonewaller that's being referred to 

Aye, but a couple of neutrals were pissing themselves at the decision.

The Woman Who Made Up Her Mind | Know Your Meme

On 31/08/2024 at 10:50, roman_bairn said:

Would you mind staying at home today? Thanks……

You had nothing to worry about....well maybe later on.  Good game I thought.  Penalty looked very soft, but what was striking is the fact Morton didn't argue it. The one up the other end on Garrity was more of a penalty for me.  

I feel sorry for the guy the seagulls shat on, who went to clean up & missed the winning goal!🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ll take this point to apologise for suggesting it’s meant to be lucky. 🙊

Morton boy is clearly pulling Tait back...... Donaldson clearly gets the ball (and isn't pulling the defender at all).

I don't get the seethe. 

I also wouldn't be seething should either of those decisions had been reversed as I can why a ref would or wouldn't give them watching live in real time in those particular moments.

Turns out he got both right with the benefit of replays which makes Crawford and Imries interviews even more enjoyable 🤣

Just now, Cowshed said:

But falls forward like a sniper up the high flat just shot him, makes sense

So you can't be getting pulled back and maintain forward momentum?  

Will admit he goes to ground easy, doesn't mean he wasn't being fouled.

Falkirk's penalty looks like a fairly clear penalty to me.  Delaney has his shirt and is pulling him back well before he goes to ground.  I thought at the time that Delaney had pushed him in the back after failing to take the chance to clear the ball, but there's clearly a foul there.

The Garrity incident also looks like a clear penalty.  Donaldson lunges in and takes out Garrity's feet and the ball.  Certainly worthy of a yellow card I would have thought, but a clear penalty.

Our defence doesn't seem to be doing terribly well for the third goal.  That shot should be getting blocked but the scorer was left with acres of space.  We have had a longstanding issue at RB, now resolved with the signing of Bannatyne, but we seem to be weaker at LB now Strapp has left.

I thought Falkirk looked a decent team, well organised and with lots of pace.  Must have a weakness at CB as our two goals demonstrated.  If we still had George Oakley, we would have won that game, and remedying that deficiency should be Dougie Imrie's absolute priority.  I don't really see why we have signed Niall McGinn although might be fairly low cost as it's a loan deal, but a proper striker is still a must - and with a centre forward we can let Jet create chances for others, which he does rather well at times - no point in expecting him to be an out and out striker unless it's for our walking football team.

Edited by Alibi

4 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Morton's highlights are up:

🎥

Not sure why both Falkirk and GM video editors decided to leave out the fouls that led to both Morton goals 🤷‍♂️

The fact they might highlight the referees performance one way or another I think is fairly important when managers are questioning their competency...

Oh and Coll totally changes the trajectory of the ball and it's not a penalty but the ref was ropey so he could've given it.

Finally, Ethan Ross's booking for simulation is a stronger penalty. He's between the man and ball and if you're arguing the Morton defender gets a touch it's a corner after the booking, which I don't think it was, or it looks more like the Morton defender's left leg catches Ethan Ross's stride and sends him sprawling.

The ref made millions of mistakes according to Imrie. 😂😂

Serious heads gone when he reverts to clown in the pub lingo

I don't think the Morton penalty is conclusive either way but the Falkirk one is, refs view is his shirt being tugged albeit soft its a pen.

The game was a great advert for the championship, ref wasn't great but he didn't win or lose the game for either team. The game might have been different if Morton scored the similar goal to ours to make it 3-2 but that's football.

The invincibles roll into another ground near you soon ⚽⚽