Sven Goran Eriksson

18 minutes ago, Chripper said:

He was a good football manager and always came across as a nice man.

~ RIP

Don't you start. Talksport have been rattling on about him since the announcement, or should I say have been playing England goal commentary clips. Boak.

I'm enjoying the narrative from the hypocrite Nigel media. 

I may be misremembering but I'm pretty sure he was a hated love rat and considered clueless for wasting the "golden generation" when he was moved on by The FA.

Now he's the nicest man ever and a great coach. 

2 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Particularly the Sun/News of the World who hacked his phone for years.

4 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Seemed a nice bloke who liked to dip his wick with sexy younger women so respect for that but was he really a truly elite coach and football thinker that they are now using is their revisionist media fawning. 

I remember him playing David Beckham in a "quarterback" role at the back of midfield in a World Cup qualifier against Northern Ireland in Belfast. Beckham spent the night hitting long balls over the heads of fellow midfielders Lampard and Gerrard, who were reduced to spectating. Northern Ireland beat them 1-0.

He was seen as being far too close to Beckham - including by other England players - and too weak with the big personalities, which was a real problem at that time with England. He enjoyed the reflected limelight.

He was rubbish at Man City despite a good budget and lost his final match with them 8-1 to Middlesborough.

I wouldn't doubt that he was a good guy though, as everyone says.

I watched the documentary on him the night before he died.   It was pretty good and he came across as a good, contented man.

On a completely unrelated topic......anyone recommend any Stephen Yaxley Lennon documentaries.....?

5 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Seemed a nice bloke who liked to dip his wick with sexy younger women so respect for that but was he really a truly elite coach and football thinker that they are now using is their revisionist media fawning. 

Won a European trophy with a Swedish team. Also won numerous other trophies in Portugal and Italy. So I'd say he was probably quite good.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

I remember him playing David Beckham in a "quarterback" role at the back of midfield in a World Cup qualifier against Northern Ireland in Belfast. Beckham spent the night hitting long balls over the heads of fellow midfielders Lampard and Gerrard, who were reduced to spectating. Northern Ireland beat them 1-0.

He was seen as being far too close to Beckham - including by other England players - and too weak with the big personalities, which was a real problem at that time with England. He enjoyed the reflected limelight.

He was rubbish at Man City despite a good budget and lost his final match with them 8-1 to Middlesborough.

I wouldn't doubt that he was a good guy though, as everyone says.

That was a fairly hilarious f**k up, IIRC Beckham had been touted for that deep lying playmaker/quarterback role in the media for a while and when they tried it it was probably the worst loss a England have had in many years, even if they still qualified.

SGE was an elite manager though, he won the UEFA cup with IFK Gothenburg, won the Portuguese and Italian leagues, won European trophies with Lazio and got Benfica to the European cup final. 

20 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I may be misremembering but I'm pretty sure he was a hated love rat and considered clueless for wasting the "golden generation" when he was moved on by The FA.

Now he's the nicest man ever and a great coach. 

This was my recollection and I was only 14 when he left. I found yesterday's coverage of him quite bizarre, given what I remembered. 

When you look back at that England team, we should be grateful for Eriksson. They were far, far better man-for-man than they are now. The "Golden generation" indeed had some tremendous players. With a decent international manager they might have won something. 

Thankfully he just couldn't handle the international game as well as he could a club game and was overwhelmed by the celebrity thing. 

(S)SC gets the prefix S because he beat the cheeks a couple of times.

I quite liked Sven because he could joke in a non native language.

Whereas SSC doesn't do this in his native language.

In fact, I strongly believe that SSC is genetically engineered to be completely humourless.....