Dundee V St Mirren.

50 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

This is a good early marker to see where both teams are at in comparison to where they were when we got that pumping towards the end of last season. I think we're better and if I'm honest I haven't really paid attention to how St Mirren have recruited. 

These fixtures usually are end-to-end and produce a lot of goals so I'm looking forward to it.

3-1. Mon the Dee's. DDYB. 

Well I have been keeping up to date with our recruitment and I can tell you that I’m yet to be impressed. 
On the other hand I thought it would be touch and go for Dundee this season as you had so many loan players last season, but the early evidence suggests you seem to have even improved on last season. 
I know it’s early days but I’ve got the fear a wee bit for Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well I have been keeping up to date with our recruitment and I can tell you that I’m yet to be impressed. 
On the other hand I thought it would be touch and go for Dundee this season as you had so many loan players last season, but the early evidence suggests you seem to have even improved on last season. 

Honestly, I think the european qualifiers distracted St Mirren and now they are out of the way you'll see your team start to pick up. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think people have spent far too long looking at the number of loans we had last year, rather than the impact they actually had.  The loss of many of those loans has only really impacted squad depth.

McCracken has been replaced with, well, himself.

Bakayoko is replaced and arguably upgraded with Murray.

Boateng has today possibly been replaced by Braybrooke, though he was really already replaced by Sylla towards the end of last season.

Costelloe, Dodgson, Lamie, Lewis, Mellon and Robinson were all varying levels of meh and not that hard to replace.

The only players where we are unsure if we've replaced them would be Donnelly, though there is certainly promise in Robertson, Koumetio and Graham, and Beck who was never going to be replaced but Larkeche at least doesn't look bad.

With the intensity we are playing at, I get the feeling that we will almost certainly beat at least one of the OF at some point this year and will rack up several big wins, while also potentially conceding more goals than whoever finishes 11th.

1 hour ago, stu2910 said:

I think people have spent far too long looking at the number of loans we had last year, rather than the impact they actually had.  The loss of many of those loans has only really impacted squad depth.

McCracken has been replaced with, well, himself.

Bakayoko is replaced and arguably upgraded with Murray.

Boateng has today possibly been replaced by Braybrooke, though he was really already replaced by Sylla towards the end of last season.

Costelloe, Dodgson, Lamie, Lewis, Mellon and Robinson were all varying levels of meh and not that hard to replace.

The only players where we are unsure if we've replaced them would be Donnelly, though there is certainly promise in Robertson, Koumetio and Graham, and Beck who was never going to be replaced but Larkeche at least doesn't look bad.

With the intensity we are playing at, I get the feeling that we will almost certainly beat at least one of the OF at some point this year and will rack up several big wins, while also potentially conceding more goals than whoever finishes 11th.

Yes mate, that’s exactly my point. It might not have worked out like that. You might have replaced the loan players at least partially with duds. But it has, largely thanks to good recruitment. 👍

4 hours ago, Girth said:

2.30pm outside TipTop if any pandas fancy becoming extinct!?

Thank you. 

Sakes girth. Loves to get his battered chicken in early 

It's 5pm at the tip top mate. Thon chef boy that's been there since the stone age will be there at that time. 

23 minutes ago, Big Gus said:

Sakes girth. Loves to get his battered chicken in early 

It's 5pm at the tip top mate. Thon chef boy that's been there since the stone age will be there at that time. 

Sorry mate. Peaked too early. 

I'll do the pre game shift and you handle the post game shift?

Thank you. 

Yawn. 

Three games in and Paisley are already throwing in the towel after losing to in form Aberdeen and the best team in the league. Narrowly punted out the cup at Tannadice a few days after a good showing in Europe. 

Suddenly they can't pick anything up from Dens. Even if they'd started the season well in their opinion how many points should St Mirren be on after playing Hibs ,AberdeenA and Celtic. 

This will be a pretty even game and any result is possible. Much like the Hibs fans last week the negativity is a minter. 

Thank you. 

32 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Yawn. 

Three games in and Paisley are already throwing in the towel after losing to in form Aberdeen and the best team in the league. Narrowly punted out the cup at Tannadice a few days after a good showing in Europe. 

Suddenly they can't pick anything up from Dens. Even if they'd started the season well in their opinion how many points should St Mirren be on after playing Hibs ,AberdeenA and Celtic. 

This will be a pretty even game and any result is possible. Much like the Hibs fans last week the negativity is a minter. 

Thank you. 

Don't disagree.

Think there is a wee bit of an early season concern there though that there are new players who have signed for us that look like they will be assets but currently they are well short of fitness. There's also the fact that our central midfield just now, is very much a makeshift one and we've had to change our shape a fair bit because we've lost two players who are important to the way we normally attack in the form of Kiltie and McMenamin.

Most concerns just now surround us being a bit 'square pegs in round holes' more than anything.

9 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Yawn. 

Thank you. 

Well, we hounded Aberdeen last season, taking 9 points from 9 against them*. So it was disappointing to see even a fatigued Saints side struggle at Pittodrie.

Obviously three points at home to perennial strugglers Hibs was a given.

So to answer your question... Yeah, three points is about right, but as DJC has said, there's just been something not quite right about the performances. There's a feeling that we could be there for the taking for a side like yours if we don't get our heads sorted, and get injured players back soon.

* Statistically adjusted for acknowledged VAR f**k-ups.

11 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Yawn. 

Thank you. 

Agree with you here. 

Some fans I think have forgotten the fact that our opening three games were against Hibs, Aberdeen and Celtic. I expected Aberdeen to be different improved team from the one we seen last season and I was expecting Hibs to be similar to last.
If you sat back and actually looked at those 3 fixtures on paper and being honest with yourself, you would be saying a maximum 3-4 points at a push. We currently sit on 3.

Our run of European games, injuries restricting our strongest lineup and lack of fitness/game time has hampered some of our play so far in a few of the games. The showing against Valur at home was comfortable, the second half vs Hibs was pleasing and we put up a battle against a very good Brann side away from home. Everything else hasn't been great, though I don't think we are miles off in terms of points from what would realistically be predicted. 

I didn't feel confident going into the last game at Dens, as we have a tendency to bottle it on a big occasion, so I am going with the same mindset and hopefully they prove me wrong and this is where we bounce back.

Will be interesting to see if we make any additions before Saturday.

I think we have a stronger squad than last season. Injuries are a problem at the moment but hopefully that is short term.

Many of our new signings are 'projects' - players who once showed great potential (eg Adeniran whom Everton paid £4m for or Scott whom Hull paid £1.5m ) but have lost their way. Some haven't played regularly for over a year. Once these guys get up to speed and with Robinson's magic they should come good. All have shown touches of what they are capable of but have been inconsistent so far.

Slow start to the season for us before we hit the gears and motor on up the league. Away win.

I don’t see how St Mirren fans have ‘thrown in the towel’. If you’ve just lost to Celtic, Aberdeen, been dumped out the LC by United, lost to Brann, and, let’s be honest, were lucky to still be level with Hibs at half time - you’re unlikely to be looking at another testing away fixture and saying ‘easy the Mirren, pump these diddies no problem’, are you? More likely to be saying ‘I’d take a draw in this one’. The second half performance against Hibs was encouraging, but there are more questions than answers regarding us at present. Injuries, new signings, unconvincing strike force, lack of midfield creativity, and despite great shot stopping, questions about the keeper’s distribution and decision making at set pieces? Hmmm.

4-0 St Mirren. Mark O’Hara, Gareth Wardlaw, Stelios, and Tottie Beck.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t see how St Mirren fans have ‘thrown in the towel’. If you’ve just lost to Celtic, Aberdeen, been dumped out the LC by United, lost to Brann, and, let’s be honest, were lucky to still be level with Hibs at half time - you’re unlikely to be looking at another testing away fixture and saying ‘easy the Mirren, pump these diddies no problem’, are you? More likely to be saying ‘I’d take a draw in this one’. The second half performance against Hibs was encouraging, but there are more questions than answers regarding us at present. Injuries, new signings, unconvincing strike force, lack of midfield creativity, and despite great shot stopping, questions about the keeper’s distribution and decision making at set pieces? Hmmm.

4-0 St Mirren. Mark O’Hara, Gareth Wardlaw, Stelios, and Tottie Beck.

Caroline Huber Blushing GIF

Agree with the general Saints view that the start to the season has been typical for sides of our stature in Europe, glad to have beaten Valur and not have to bin all memories of our European experience. 

I feel the results before international breaks set mood for a good period beyond the immediate fortnight - my favourite being the 1-0 with that Stephen McGinn goal and the 4 (or was it 40) defenders on the line.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

We lose McCowan the night before, they get van Veen the night before.

Just awesome.

He's a one season wonder and not gonna start tomorrow IMO.

This post better not age like milk and he scores a hat-trick otherwise I'm still blaming you, Ross.