Arbroath v Alloa

After failing to win in our first 3 games, even after having Mother Nature and the referee on our side against Montrose Mr McIntyre got sent packing and rightly so - a truly unforgivable start to the season 

Saturday past was a tough fixture but again we failed to win after being 2-0 up - which is more understandable given the conditions in either half and being away to a good free scoring Dumbarton team 

However we still have not won after 4 league games and the next two on paper are probably the toughest yet with Alloa at Gayfield and then QoTS away. It’s very possible that the run continues. Alloa look in good shape as per usual and they are a settled side who know each other inside out. All the usual names in that team. 

From what I heard Saturday we created plenty of chances which is something we never ever did under McIntyre so there is room for optimism there. The result never went our way in the end but the knives were not out at Full Time and there was a bit of positivity with everyone behind Goldie and Colin Hamilton 

So regardless of everything it does feel good going into games without a massive feeling of negativity lingering around. First home game under the new interim gaffers and I am hoping we can have a really good day for the 2 of them.

Once again, broken record, there is a lot to like about this Arbroath team on a personnel basis but still some glaring deficiencies that I’m not really sure will be addressed any time soon. I’m not sure if we will be signing anyone until the management team is confirmed or what the story is. 

Weather looks fine and very calm. Mon the Broath. 

There were plenty of positives to take out of the Dumbarton game. Confident we can begin to click into gear now. 

Will be interesting to see if Darren Young is in attendance again 

Edited by lichtie23

I'm reviewing based on both our games against Dumbarton then I think both teams will be delighted the weather is going to be calm. I don't think Arbroath used the conditions as well as Dumbarton (which the same could be said for us) and Dumbarton were helped by some positively kamikaze defending like this for Michael Ruth's goal on Saturday. At least that was Mumbongo playing the through ball and not your own player 😅
image.png.dd7a0ac674b58fd3e11749bc022cec81.png

Some nice play in spells so I'm not going to write off this footballing Arbroath but they really got bogged down in the second half and couldn't get out of their half after the second goal.

Think for us again it'll depend on how good a game Sammo has up front in the absence of any other striking options, which to his credit I thought he was excellent on Saturday.

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

Think for us again it'll depend on how good a game Sammo has up front in the absence of any other striking options, which to his credit I thought he was excellent on Saturday.

3 points for the Wasps then.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm reviewing based on both our games against Dumbarton then I think both teams will be delighted the weather is going to be calm. I don't think Arbroath used the conditions as well as Dumbarton (which the same could be said for us) and Dumbarton were helped by some positively kamikaze defending like this for Michael Ruth's goal on Saturday. At least that was Mumbongo playing the through ball and not your own player 😅
image.png.dd7a0ac674b58fd3e11749bc022cec81.png

Some nice play in spells so I'm not going to write off this footballing Arbroath but they really got bogged down in the second half and couldn't get out of their half after the second goal.

It is the Alloa midfield that is once again worrying me. Just really uncomfortable with what we have in there at the moment and Scougall, Roberts and Hetherington looks solid. 

Think we are going to have to just go with the 1 uptop again unless we sign anyone. Would like to see Goldie play himself too but unsure on whether he will or if he will want to be on the sidelines again. Gold / Spalding and Murray as most advanced is what I would go with for us unless Murray is injured then Dow can come in. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It is the Alloa midfield that is once again worrying me. Just really uncomfortable with what we have in there at the moment and Scougall, Roberts and Hetherington looks solid. 

It's a sensationally good midfield three. I like Miko Virtanen too but he can't get a look in when those three are on form.

Don't expect any game this season we'll be extravagant winners but so far we're solid and methodical.

16 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

3 points for the Wasps then.

tempted to spend 20 minutes photoshopping Sammon into Two-Face for a the coin flip of which Sammon turns up. He's been too good recently. 

I actually though one of our best performances this year was when we went 5 at the back against dundee with Bisland and Wilkie wing backs, wouldn't be against that to try and tighten up at the back, 

Although that means we would end up having to try and figure out what 3 would be best suited to play in the middle,

Really hopeful but very doubtful that we could bring in some quality reinforcements, Not the guys fault and maybe he has potential but the young lad on loan from Dundee is not what we are needing and looks a bit of a waste of a loan

18 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

I actually though one of our best performances this year was when we went 5 at the back against dundee with Bisland and Wilkie wing backs, wouldn't be against that to try and tighten up at the back, 

Although that means we would end up having to try and figure out what 3 would be best suited to play in the middle,

Really hopeful but very doubtful that we could bring in some quality reinforcements, Not the guys fault and maybe he has potential but the young lad on loan from Dundee is not what we are needing and looks a bit of a waste of a loan

We needed a 3rd striker. He may well be fine. 

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

I think Richardson was absolutely a numbers thing - but he’s not had much game time so don’t want to judge too soon. Spoke to someone who has watched him a lot at Brechin and in the Dundee youths, told he’s more of a winger if anything and lightweight at B team level never mind L1 

I think there’ll be another 3 coming in so will have to wait and see 

26 minutes ago, WeeWelshy007 said:

someone explain to me what arbroath gain through not allowing pay at the gate

Dunno. Saves us counting and banking the takings. Gets the money in early. Possibly other stuff. Is kinda the done thing at many clubs. I’m not fussed either way. 

1 hour ago, WeeWelshy007 said:

someone explain to me what arbroath gain through not allowing pay at the gate

It would be impossible to use cash at the new gates/turnstyles.

I’ve said this before but I can’t understand why we don’t have a ticket office/window to allow folk to buy tickets with cash or card on the day. I kind of think you probably can but it’s certainly not publicised.

Yes, loads of clubs are ticket only but Aberdeen for example have a ticket office where you can buy a physical paper ticket right up until kick off.

Seems mental to put hurdles and barriers in the way of folk attending games. Loads of older fans won’t have smart phones or computers for example.

Edited by Tattie36

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

It would be impossible to use cash at the new gates/turnstyles.

I’ve said this before but I can’t understand why we don’t have a ticket office/window to allow folk to buy tickets with cash or card on the day. I kind of think you probably can but it’s certainly not publicised.

Yes, loads of clubs are ticket only but Aberdeen for example have a ticket office where you can buy a physical paper ticket right up until kick off.

Seems mental to put hurdles and barriers in the way of folk attending games. Loads of older fans won’t have smart phones or computers for example.

Gayf has been cashless for approximately 3 years, I think this due to insurance costs of having cash stored on the premises after events overnight/weekends.

1 hour ago, Broath Boy said:

Gayf has been cashless for approximately 3 years, I think this due to insurance costs of having cash stored on the premises after events overnight/weekends.

Ok, well just make ticket purchases card only. Loads of other clubs do it.

20 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Ok, well just make ticket purchases card only. Loads of other clubs do it.

Pretty sure I walk past people at the office doing this most match days - nobody is turning up to the ground and getting turned away or not being allowed in 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Pretty sure I walk past people at the office doing this most match days - nobody is turning up to the ground and getting turned away or not being allowed in 

Yeah I’ve seen the same and hinted at it in my original post.

The fact that they actively publicise that you can’t buy a ticket at the ground will inevitably put people off though.

It would be as simple as printing off a stack of paper tickets pre match, one person at the window with a card machine, £20 card payment then destroy any unused tickets.

As you say, they likely do this anyway so why not say? I don’t think it would mean hundreds of folk turning up without a ticket but would enable folk to go without the perceived hassle of buying an e-ticket or printing one out at home. My dad for example - he wanted to go to a game last season but when I explained the ticket situation he decided against it, even though I told him I would do it for him. Too much technology and hassle for a lot of, particularly older, folk.

Are the turnstyles a  ticket scanning setup ? 

if so i am all for it,  means i can purchase the concession ticket and save a couple of quid 

it works at falkirk !  no questions asked   😉