St Johnstone Vs Motherwell - The Liam Gordon Derby

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We are absolutely balling at set pieces again.

The rest of our attack is a bit ropey.

Helps a lot when St Johnstone defend them like we did all last season.

Seems similar to last season,  relatively nothing game but we made stupid mistakes and lost a game we should have drew. Oh wait, it was the other way round...

Not sure about Ox on the goal but as we often say, if you're solid(ish) and don't give the game away, at our level there's a decent chance the opposition will give the game to you.

St J will be kicking themselves but we deserve credit for the attacking change which got us back to even keel when we were very much wobbling. And if you force the goalie into decent, good and then brilliant saves in injury-time, it's hard to say the winner wasn't coming.

I thought we were the better team for the majority of game, St Johnstone's goal gave us a scare and we looked rattled for a while before a total onslaught in injury time where we grabbed the winner. 

Into 4th place now, is it too early to be talking about a European tour?🤣

9 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Lennon Miller with 4 tremendous corners in the lead up to the winner, doesn’t he know you aren’t supposed to beat the first man? 

You've no idea how much head loss I had when I saw Cammy MacPherson doing his stupid f**king pose which shows the entire stadium he's about to his stupid f**king "drill it slow to the back post" corner in the second half.

Straight the keeper, as always, and then he throws his arms about.

If he never takes a set play for us again I'll be a very happy man

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've no idea how much head loss I had when I saw Cammy MacPherson doing his stupid f**king pose which shows the entire stadium he's about to his stupid f**king "drill it slow to the back post" corner in the second half.

Straight the keeper, as always, and then he throws his arms about.

If he never takes a set play for us again I'll be a very happy man

Ironically, that was probably the least infuriating thing about his efforts today. 

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

I think it was clear that McGinn’s foot was taken and it caused him to fall so there is a foul there but the angles suggest they were trying to determine if it was inside or not. Too hard to tell so got to stick to his initial decision. 
Would be good for them to announce all of that though. 

Announce what you think? Should they do that for every fan? 

57 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Announce what you think? Should they do that for every fan? 

Announce what exactly the decision that they have reached based upon what they have reviewed so everyone knows. 

At half time the radio reported they were told it was because the ref felt the contact was not enough to meet the threshold for a foul - which they were surprised at as they also believed it was whether or not it was in the box or not and that the foul part was a given. 

A simple confirmation over the tannoy takes away any ambiguity and keeps the paying punter informed as to why they’ve had to sit for 6 minutes twiddling their thumbs. 

1 minute ago, Vietnam91 said:

Something that takes 6 minutes is neither clear nor obvious 

My head was gone at this.

Like how many replays do you need to watch before your judgement is being clouded?

FWIW we're apparently getting a new scoreboard which is to help with VAR. I'll have a deep chuckle when we shell put £500k to make that happen while being relegated with this group of players.

I seen one reply and was 100% sure on both facts that, yes it was a foul and no it's wasn't in the box.  

I also do not buy into the whole the length of time taken doesn't matter if the right decision is made.  

Edited by Antiochas III

At the game I saw McGinn being clipped in the box but it was waved away like you see in every game. I thought nothing more about it.  Then at our throw in the game was stopped, the ball had gone out of play when a Motherwell player had challenged for it, I assumed, and feared, that VAR had seen a possible red card incident and one of our guys was going off. I didn’t hear the stadium announcement so I popped the buds in for the Radio Scotland coverage, was it in or out the box they were debating.  Anyway with the length of time it took it clearly wasn’t an obvious error. Haven’t seen it back though.  If we got a penalty we would have been unlikely to score the goal we did, so we lost nothing out of the situation.

I thought we regressed when Tony Watt played through the middle.

We should have won that game but I’m not sure we deserved it after not putting them away during the 80 minutes of domination we had (10 minutes after their subs excepted).

Was it a corner for the winning goal, did the keeper actually play it over?

I thought that Moses had Ross Forbes’d it, I thought it was going in and he knocked it in from an offside position.  But it turns out that neither he nor Ross Forbes was off side.

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

Was it a corner for the winning goal, did the keeper actually play it over?

Our keepers apparently admitted he touched it, but thought the ball was already out before he did. I've zero clue of the truth due to my view.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

I also thought there was a hand ball in the box late on for a Motherwell penalty.  No VAR review so maybe I saw it wrong.

Your players seemed so adamant it seemed like it might have been. We had about 4 defenders raising their arms instead of defending aswell, which greatly increased the chances of it being true aswell.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our keepers apparently admitted he touched it, but thought the ball was already out before he did. I've zero clue of the truth due to my view.

From my view it looked like the ball was still in play, I honestly thought for a few moments that he was going to do a Cammy Bell.

8 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Showed on sportscene it wasn’t a corner 

Bummer 🙄. We should have had the game done and dusted early doors, but will take that wee bit of luck and the 3pts that we really deserved over the piece. Another good showing from young Wilson who had a couple of excellent and important interceptors,  and McGinn playing a true captains role. The Lennon love just continues to grow, great vision and composure for an 18 yr old. Unfortunate injury for Robinson who, despite a lack of an end product, does a great job of making the ball stick up front and getting us up the park.

Saints didn't really threaten much outwith their goal and for maybe 10mins after, although with the likes of Kimpioka I think they could be decent when things click. 

Unsurprisingly - I enjoyed that today. At this point in the season, you look for a bit of progression and I think there is a big difference between us Vs Thistle or County and what we've seen over the past couple of weeks. I think we're miles from the finished article (we've not really clicked in attack yet) - but you can see a bit of a shape.

I thought we were incredibly comfortable for an away game - until the subs. I felt Levein got his changes spot on while I think we looked like we lost our shape when we made our initial subs. It definitely feels like we're a midfielder short in the squad, which feels odd given the cast of thousands we've now got.

Our set pieces have been incredible so far this season - It'll be back in the mists of time when we hitting so many good corners - and it's allowing us to try to bed in a forward line - and that sequence of corners at the death was a thing of beauty.

Saints seem to be lacking confidence - they went backwards quite often when they had already got past our midfield - looks like us during the LC groups.

VAR was ridiculous today - last week, you literally wouldn't have known it was switched on, today it was a genuine embarrassment. For the McGinn penalty thing, I thought the ref was watching a film - he must have watched the replay 50+ times, which is utterly farcical - it just can't be a clear error.

Anyway - our season is starting better than any of us would have hoped - time to pop the Dons' bubble next...