🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Really? I've missed that bit in amongst the fury of the past few months. Who do they want to replace him?

I think he's being facetious. I can't imagine anyone's "happy" about Adams dropping out. He's one of our two senior strikers and he might have been a starter. I'm assuming the post is aimed at the likes of me who is very much in the Dykes before Adams camp.

We've been over this before but regardless of what level the pair of them may or may not currently be playing Dykes return for Scotland in the last couple of years has been considerably better than Adams (I don't necessarily mean in terms of goals) and we very pointedly missed Dykes badly in the summer. With Dykes now in League 1 with Birmingham and Adams in Serie A the calls for Adams to be the nailed on starter will increase, and perhaps they'll be proven correct.

The whole situation up front is far from ideal this window, even more so than usual. Dykes is fully fit but has barely played this season as QPR angled to sell him, which they eventually did last week. Adams has gone to Italy which is a great move for him but he's out injured. Shankland hasn't started the season in remotely the form he was in last season. Similarly to Dykes, Conway has barely played either as he eventually got his move to Middlesbrough. The only Scottish forward in anything like any sort of "form" is Oli McBurnie and I doubt many fans want to see him again for now either.

52 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Can we call up McBurnie?

It's not a case of "can we", it's a case of "should we". (Yes)

44 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Really? I've missed that bit in amongst the fury of the past few months. Who do they want to replace him?

Shankland... until they get bored of him and want Conway to come in. 

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think he's being facetious. I can't imagine anyone's "happy" about Adams dropping out. He's one of our two senior strikers and he might have been a starter. I'm assuming the post is aimed at the likes of me who is very much in the Dykes before Adams camp.

You didn't even cross my mind bro. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've seen this a few times on here, but Doig is playing in Serie B at the moment, and Taylor will probably be playing in the Champions League.

I don't know if people think Taylor is a lot older than he actually is or something, or if they're just wanting change for change's sake, but I don't really see any reason for picking Doig ahead of him at the moment.

Calling up Doig now makes perfect sense though, there's not really another good candidate and he is likely to be a potential squad member going forward, especially after Robertson retires in a couple of years.

A few reasons for that, at least in my case.

Going forward (which was what I said in the post, incidentally) I think Doig, who by all accounts did fine in Serie A if not well, is more likely to be the player we turn to when Robertson retires than Taylor is. He's not old by any stretch, but I think Taylor is at his ceiling just now, playing okay domestically in a celtic team, whereas I think Doig has a higher ceiling than that.  I also insinuated fairly clearly in my initial post that I'm assuming Taylor will in fact lose his starting place to the new guy they've bought in at left back, which if true will mean he won't be getting many minutes in the Champions League.

Eventually one of the people Celtic buy to compete with Taylor will be better than him, and this Alex Valle seems the most likely one yet. Taylor has done well to see all the others off and if he's still their first choice left back come the October and November windows, fair play to him. 

I reckon he won't be, though. In which case, I think better that Doig is the understudy going forward as I think he's more likely to push further in his career than Taylor, who is now at the peak of what he'll manage in the game (no shame in that) and is possibly about to play the role Ralston does for Celtic; back-up. 

Doig, if he continues to be first choice for his club side, should be in ahead of celtic's back up left back. That's the scenario I'm presuming come the October/November squads. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've seen this a few times on here, but Doig is playing in Serie B at the moment, and Taylor will probably be playing in the Champions League.

I don't know if people think Taylor is a lot older than he actually is or something, or if they're just wanting change for change's sake, but I don't really see any reason for picking Doig ahead of him at the moment.

Calling up Doig now makes perfect sense though, there's not really another good candidate and he is likely to be a potential squad member going forward, especially after Robertson retires in a couple of years.

We don't think he's older, we just think he's shite. He's had enough chances to prove that now. Norway at home was far worse than anything Ralston and O'Donnell ever conjured up for us. You just have a fair amount of bias when it comes to former Kilmarnock players, which I think you would admit to if you're honest with yourself. 

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

We don't think he's older, we just think he's shite. He's had enough chances to prove that now. Norway at home was far worse than anything Ralston and O'Donnell ever conjured up for us. 

Was it though?

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We've been over this before but regardless of what level the pair of them may or may not currently be playing Dykes return for Scotland in the last couple of years has been considerably better than Adams (I don't necessarily mean in terms of goals) and we very pointedly missed Dykes badly in the summer. With Dykes now in League 1 with Birmingham and Adams in Serie A the calls for Adams to be the nailed on starter will increase, and perhaps they'll be proven correct.

The whole situation up front is far from ideal this window, even more so than usual. Dykes is fully fit but has barely played this season as QPR angled to sell him, which they eventually did last week. Adams has gone to Italy which is a great move for him but he's out injured. Shankland hasn't started the season in remotely the form he was in last season. Similarly to Dykes, Conway has barely played either as he eventually got his move to Middlesbrough. The only Scottish forward in anything like any sort of "form" is Oli McBurnie and I doubt many fans want to see him again for now either.

We really need variety in our squad strikers; relying on Adams or Dykes (or Shankland too, probably) makes us easier for the opposition to deal with. Being able to swap between them and shake things up in attack is a major thing for us. None of them are ever going to be regular scorers at international level, despite putting in a lot of effort.

We've had some pretty great players in most positions over the years; so strange that we just don't seem to do top goalscorers. Even Law and Dalglish topped out at fewer than 1 in 3.

24 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Was it though?

Probably. My abiding memory of the game was all of their goals coming down his side of the pitch,  coming off the back of a game against Georgia in which he had a howler also .

Edited by Jives Miguel

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Booooo! UEFA should get that Viaplay telt. Useless c***s.

I wonder if they'll just bung it on YouTube or something with half time ads, you'd have thought there would be a clause in the UEFA contract that it has to be on some platform or other in the host country. It'll be costing them loads setting up the cameras etc just for Polish telly and a few expats, might as well try and get a few quid back from here.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if they'll just bung it on YouTube or something with half time ads, you'd have thought there would be a clause in the UEFA contract that it has to be on some platform or other in the host country. It'll be costing them loads setting up the cameras etc just for Polish telly and a few expats, might as well try and get a few quid back from here.

Apparently ITV are currently engaged with viaplay in  order to screen the Scotland games 'free-to-air.'

11 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Get a stick ya dafties. My mate says they're great.

A VPN and Polish council telly is my standby, I'd have to get a street urchin in to show me what to do with a stick. 

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A VPN and Polish council telly is my standby, I'd have to get a street urchin in to show me what to do with a stick. 

Understand it is on Fox Sports in the USA