🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

26 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Bizarre take tbh

I just want us to scrape 3rd and stay in league A

So much better to be playing the top countries on repeat, even if we get the odd nosebleed 

It is where Scotland belong

Believing that is half the battle 

3 red dots and this. WTF.

I have been going to Hampden since I was a teenager. A lot of times on my own. 

I have been a tartan army member for over 30 years. I want us to win each and every time.

The facts are we have substandard players at this level. Hanley and Ralston are decent honest players but they are a mile away from being International class which is why they make the mistakes they did. 

Nothing controversial about that. Just facts sadly. 

56 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Many Years ago we had journeymen, championship players and worse playing for us we were utter guff. 

Then a few years ago we had Premiership players and decent old firm players playing and we were quite decent.

Today we have journeymen, championship players and worse playing for us and we are unsurprisingly back to square one. Square one being utter shite.

No real surprise when you see the lack of quality in the squad. 

Did not deserve that tonite but then equally we did deserve it as we are playing average players. 

Today we had 2 Napoli players, 2 Liverpool players, 1 Aston Villa, 1 Bournemouth and 1 La Liga player playing. Not in the squad we have another 2 Serie A players, 1 La Liga player and 3 or 4 EPL players. 

So what the f**k are you on about Championship or worse? 

26 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I can't shake the feeling though, that we'll squeak a result somewhere down the line, possibly in Poland, and we'll be looking back at tonight as the blown opportunity that would have seen us in the playoff as a minimum had we conceded one fewer or scored one more. It's usually a case of hindsight with Scotland, and the margin between success and failure being wafer thin, so I don't buy into the "humpings the rest of the way" narrative. The last couple of Euro qualifications have bucked that trend a wee bit, but we returned to "form" in the WC playoff, losing comfortably to a "meh" side at home, so I fear that in a few months from now it'll be a case of "we could have stayed in Pool A but for that daft result v's Poland".

And we might have qualified for the World Cup in 1966 but for that daft result v's Poland 😔

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Today we had 2 Napoli players, 2 Liverpool players, 1 Aston Villa, 1 Bournemouth and 1 La Liga player playing. Not in the squad we have another 2 Serie A players, 1 La Liga player and 3 or 4 EPL players. 

So what the f**k are you on about Championship or worse? 

So half a team you f**kwit. You do know that teams consist of 11 players plus subs. 

Our squad lacks strength in depth. That was my point. Again hardly controversial.

Clear for all to see but for those with silly Spanish pseudonym 🖕

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

We shouldn’t be looking to come back from 2 goals down? We were 2 goals down. Should we have just lost 0-2 or gone for 0-4? 

I would love us to be Croatia, but we’re Scotland. We’ve never been very good at football. Hopefully that changes at some point, but it’s not looking likely. 

You said it was “ a positive “ we came back from 2 goals down .

No it wasn’t as we shouldn’t have been 2 down in the first place .

Your comment about Croatia , has f**k all do do with it tbh 

Very strange feeling tonight arriving at my seat to find myself smack bang in the middle of the away end. Not a bit of trouble, but it fairly stings when you concede a 97th minute winner and you’re surrounded by opposition fans!

Can’t imagine the Croatia game goes off as smoothly if the same arrangements are in place.

What's happened to our defence? Over the past year we've gone from solid but unspectacular at the back, to intermittently porous. Tonight was reminiscent of those horrible friendlies where we looked like we were doing well, only to concede under a minimum of pressure. Grant Hanley taking a step back in time by a decade was just the cherry on the cake.

At least Morgan and Doak did well when they came on, and hopefully this isn't going to be the last time we see Gauld in the team, but we're never going to outscore teams when we ship goals at this rate.

By all metrics and stats, apart from goals (which were two penalties) we were the better team against Poland.

We lost via two stupid penalties after a stupid pass from a stupid pass from McLean.

I'm taking nothing but positives from tonight.

As far as I'm concerned, these 6 matches against these three top ranking teams in our group are a learning experience and nothing more.

The World Cup qualifiers are what I'm focusing on.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

100% agree.  McLean is a tidy enough player but never plays a progressive pass.  Christie would be much better there

Never going to happen under Clarke so forget it. He sees nothing wrong with our set up and once a player is in that is him until he retires. He will keep playing Christie in that position he wasn't good enough at to get in the Bournemouth team because McLean is next in queue after McGregor for that deeper midfield role and he will stick with it. No chance of McGinn moving either. 

There's a reason why he ended up managing Kilmarnock

1 hour ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Yes he’s that good as a ball playing 6 that Rangers didn’t look completely bereft of a ball playing 6 on Sunday!

Vertical Challenge aside their games have absolutely nothing in common.

I actually like Barron btw.

You’re comparing apples and oranges though.

If you think he's a box to box high energy midfielder after watching one game where his team was outclassed and pumped 3 0 then there's not much reasoning with that. 

I also like Barron, he's still relatively young and I think he has a high ceiling but will no doubt be a scapegoat as rangers fall further behind Celtic in the league.

In amidst all the hand wringing, we have narrowly lost to a nation with 7x more people than us, who we at least matched throughout, due to two poor defensive mistakes leading to penalties and a long range effort from them.

We will be fine. No need to over analyse.

Good fight to get back into it. We are still weak at right back, no news there. Maybe if we have 30m more people to select from we would have a better right back, it is what it is.

Clarke should have been gone after the Hungary game, his whole approach was wrong. he was arrogant when we went out, he hid in the interim and was a w**k in the press this week. 

He didn't go and was given a chance to make amends, he picked players who have let him down before, they let him down again. Replacing McGregor with the guy who has never been good enough to replace him for the last five years, to pick Ralston in the squad, never mind start him, I saw that Hanley has only played 16 games in 2024, we got what we deserved.

He has a bench full of guys wanting to prove they are better than what is on the park, better than the players that have proven multiple times they aren't good enough........and he starts making subs in the 70th minute. 

It wont get better and he will leave us in an absolute shambles when he decides he's had enough. 

Robertson will retire, no decent keepers, no right, Shankland will have 20 caps spread over one hour of football while we play non-goal scoring forwards. Lewis Ferguson will have less. We'll be in the same situation than when Craig Brown left. 30 years in the football wilderness because Steve Clarke beat a Spain X1 and Norway. 

2 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

We are desperate for a good goalie, centre back and striker. 

The spine of the team. Very few great sides have one of those components missing. Absolutely zero great sides have none of them.

35 minutes ago, Binos said:

What was the goal kick routine all about 

So deep never tried to get up the pitch 

Retire

It’s all the rage. Arsenal and Man City do it with their world class ball playing defenders & goalkeepers so obviously we need to do it with our rather more limited resources. 

I think the idea is that instead of the GK rolling it short & wide to a CB who then only has the one side to play down, if the CB rolls it centrally to the GK from a wider position then he should be able to play out either side of the pitch. 

Like I say, that’s fine when it’s Ruben Dias playing it Ederson to dink one wide to Kyle Walker. But when it’s Grant Hanley passing it to Angus Gunn to find Tony Ralston… 🙈