The "Should Never Play for Us Again" XI

Let's see the best XI we can get out of players who, at one point or another, have been landed with this remark. 

Bonus points if you can specify a game relating to a player i.e. Hanley against Poland on Thursday. 

The more ridiculous the better.

GK - Stewart Kennedy (conceding 5 at Wembley is unforgivable)

RB - Robbie Stockdale (need I say more?).

LB - Stephen Crainey (for playing in the same defence as Robbie Stockdale)

CB - Alan Hansen (for running into Willie Miller).

CB - Matt Elliot (for being a big English p***k 😄).

CB - Christian Dailly (for being a potty mouth on the telly).

Mid - Billy Bremner for that miss against Brazil. 

Mid - Steve Nicol (for that miss against Uruguay).

Mid - Gary Mac (obvs).

Str - Alan McInally (for failing to score against Costa Rica)

Str - Steve Archibald (for being stubbornly shite for Scotland whilst being brilliant at club level).

Obvs I’m joking about Christian. He’s a f**king legend. 

Chris Iwelumo. Missed a sitter against Norway in his debut and that was it for a lot of folk. I somehow doubt he'd make the best XI though.

Duncan Ferguson. I violently assaulted someone on the field of play, got the jail for it, but the blazers want me to serve a playing ban too? I don't think I should play for Scotland again.

Did Angus Gunn always have the sunken-eyed stare of a man who has spent too long looking into the void, or did we do this to him?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Did Angus Gunn always have the sunken-eyed stare of a man who has spent too long looking into the void, or did we do this to him?

He's from Norfolk, comes with the territory.

Willie Johnston for the drugs scandal must be a contender. Ally McCoist for his pish about the funeral of Dodi Fayed's bit on the side

John Kennedy - not because he was shite but got absolutely done by a Romanian player in a tepid friendly. Did go on to make a couple of dozen appearance for Celtic after but was never the same player and could never even play in charity games/testimonials as his knee is totally gubbed.

13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

John Kennedy - not because he was shite but got absolutely done by a Romanian player in a tepid friendly. Did go on to make a couple of dozen appearance for Celtic after but was never the same player and could never even play in charity games/testimonials as his knee is totally gubbed.

The Romanian who did it was an absolute thug. IIRC there was a story about him trying to batter the priest at his uncle's funeral

Islam Feruz - started dingying Scotland youth call-ups, then football in general, in order to sell baseball caps.

David Goodwillie.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Romanian who did it was an absolute thug. IIRC there was a story about him trying to batter the priest at his uncle's funeral

I was going to post the highlights, but didn't know what to choose. It's all gold. From his Wikipedia "Controversies" section:

At the beginning of his career, while playing at FC Brașov, Ganea beat up the team captain Dorel Purdea.[75][76][77][78][79][80]

During his stay at Universitatea Craiova, Ganea was involved in several controversies. Ganea kicked his teammate Cornel Frăsineanu in the mouth, which left him without a few teeth and for a while he had to eat using a straw.[76][77][78][81][82][83][84] Eugen Trică tried to calm him down but Ganea threatened to beat him too so Trică backed off.[81][83][84] He also had a fight with Silvian Cristescu who threw a massage table at his head.[76][77][79] On 2 May 1998 Rapid București needed to win the match against Universitatea Craiova in order to be sure that they win the Divizia A title so they agreed with George Ilinca who was "U" Craiova's owner to let them win the game. Some players, including Ganea did not agree to take part in the arrangement, the game ended 2–2 with both of Craiova's goals being scored by Ganea, and the title was won by Steaua București.[85][86][87]

At VfB Stuttgart he had a fight with teammate Jochen Seitz, for which he was punished by the club with a 10.000 marks fine.[77][88] One day Ganea was eating an ice cream and coach Felix Magath saw him and told him that he shouldn't be eating food that contains too many calories because he has weight issues, Ganea got mad and threw the ice cream at him.[76][77][78][82]

In a match at Euro 2000 against England, Ganea was tackled hard by Sol Campbell but the referee did not take any measure against him, so he waited for Campbell to get close to him and when none of the referees were watching he hit him and cussed him: "Motherf**ker! Bitch!".[89][90] In 2001, he had a fight with the goalkeeper Stelea in a training session that took part before a Romania – Italy game.[78][82][91] During the match with the Italians, the striker was one step away from hitting his coach László Bölöni, because he was mad that the coach left him on the bench.[76][77][78][79][82][92] During Romania's cantonment for the 2002 World Cup qualification play-off against Slovenia, Ganea played rummy on money with Daniel Chiriță and feeling that Chiriță was cheating, he punched him in the eye, afterwards jumping on him to beat him, before the other teammates intervened to stop him.[93] While playing for Romania against Scotland in April 2004, he tackled Celtic defender John Kennedy resulting in a knee injury that left Kennedy unable to play for three years. Kennedy has since been forced to retire from professional football as a result of this and subsequent injuries.[75][94]

Steven Gerrard's autobiography contains an episode about an incident between him and Ionel Ganea in a Wolverhampton – Liverpool game played in January 2004: "He tore my leg from the knee to the ankle. Under the puttee, my leg was cut deep, a nasty wound". After finding out what Gerrard wrote about him in his autobiography Ganea told the press:"I inform Gerrard that when I write my autobiography, I will not mention him. I will not have room for little girls".[79][89][90][95][96] In April 2006 he was involved in more controversy when he criticised the Wolverhampton Wanderers manager at that time, Glenn Hoddle, claiming "he is the most difficult manager I have worked with in my career".[97] Hoddle also fined him with a one-week salary for fighting at a training session with a teammate.[98][99]

While playing for Rapid București in a match against Universitatea Craiova he hit opponent's Michael Baird's mouth with his head during half-time.[76][77][79][82]

In August 2007 after a Unirea Urziceni – Politehnica Timișoara game, the striker had a conflict with the president of Unirea Urziceni Mihai Stoica, with Ganea grabbing him by the neck until the Gendarmery officers separated them.[76][82] One week later, Ganea was banned for 22 matches, which were later reduced to 16, after attacking one of the assistant referees after being sent off during a match between his club Politehnica Timișoara and Rapid București.[82][100][101] In his first match played against CFR Cluj after executing the 16 match suspension, he had a verbal conflict with former Universitatea Craiova teammate Eugen Trică before the beginning of the match, being close to start a fight after the end of the match.[101][102]

In 2012 while attending Ioan Drăgan's funeral, who was his wedding's Godfather and a former FC Brașov teammate, he almost got into a fight with the priest, being unsatisfied of the way he was preaching.[75][76]

While coaching Universitatea Cluj he was accused by player Cristian Mureșan of beating him up but Ganea denied the incident.[103][104][105]

During his coaching period at FC Voluntari after a 1–0 victory against CSMS Iași he had a conflict with a female journalist named Alina Iosub in which he offended and cussed her, she also threatened him by saying that if he comes to Botoșani, he won't leave there alive.[80][106][107]

His wife, Dana, with which he was married for over 24 years accused him of physical and verbal domestic violence and filled for divorce several times, also asking for a restraining order against him.[108][109][110][111]

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I was going to post the highlights, but didn't know what to choose. It's all gold. From his Wikipedia "Controversies" section:

never played for Clyde though... 

Graeme Shinnie Vs Kazakhstan

Prob a few more from that game but he stands out

Porteous Vs Germany

Garry Kenneth vs Sweden. I defended him on the TA Board to my shame, full thread and everything. In my defence we were absolutely dugmeat to a man that night and Kenneth got the run around from big zlatan, after being hung out to dry

Manager of this team has to be Craig Levein after the 4-6-0 fiasco. People wanted him sacked at half time

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye but he did score the winning goal to knock England out of Euro 2000 in the group stages, so he wasn’t all bad. 😄 

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

That’s some charge sheet.

5 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Manager of this team has to be Craig Levein after the 4-6-0 fiasco. People wanted him sacked at half time

He might have to be assistant to Alex McLeish during his second spell. An unpopular appointment to begin with, but the team quickly had that Berti Vogts air of "what am I supposed to be doing?" and he really didn't look like he was very well either.

I assume we're not counting Malky as a proper Scotland boss.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

He might have to be assistant to Alex McLeish during his second spell. An unpopular appointment to begin with, but the team quickly had that Berti Vogts air of "what am I supposed to be doing?" and he really didn't look like he was very well either.

I assume we're not counting Malky as a proper Scotland boss.

The second McLeish appointment was a strange one. I felt sorry for him actually - he should have never been appointed for a second time.