As ghosts don't exist, let's read some of your fantasies or stories about hallucinations you've experienced instead.

Infrasound is a fun topic to look up. Causes feelings of unease or dread, and is often found to be a factor in places where people claim to have experienced ghost sightings.

Would've made for a shit Ghostbusters sequel, though.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There was a ghost monk in my old house that was fond of walking about the upstairs corridor opening and closing random doors. 

How do you know he was a monk? The stale scent of Buckie hanging in the air?

A woman I used to work with told me her house was haunted by the ex-occupant who had burned himself to death after falling asleep with a lit fag. 

She was really blasé about it. "You hear him pottering around downstairs during the night, sometimes he comes into my bedroom, I just shout at him and he goes away for a while."

👻

Never had any experiences myself. But when my aunt and uncle still lived with my gran. My uncle seen a man with blonde hair and a denim jacket standing at the foot of his bed. But didn’t think anything of it and didn’t mention it to anyone. Then a few weeks later, my aunt seen the exact same man standing over her one night. And it wasn’t until a few years after that they both spoke to each other about it and found it weird. 

Could have been a ghost, could have been Les Battersby. 

For most of my working life I have worked in wards and care homes in which a lot of people have died and you hear all sorts of stories about ghostly stuff happening.

I however have experienced nothing. I think people have overactive imaginations and the human mind has a great capacity to scare itself shitless.

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

In my teenage years I'd frequently wake up covered in small deposits of what I'm presuming was ectoplasm. 

Experience of this phenomena has been known to extend beyond teenage years.

Edited by Lurkst

When I was wee, there was a big bang in my bedroom while I was about to go to sleep, and I shot out of bed to discover that one of the drawers was open. Naturally, I assumed it was a poltergeist. Later in life, having been woken when drifting off to sleep by loud bangs a few times, I discovered that something called Exploding Head Syndrome exists and, considering that small kids never check the furniture before going to sleep, figured that my mum had been putting clothes away during the day and left the drawer open.

When staying at a friend's house, her brother woke us up to check out his room - it was echoing with weird ghostly voices and properly freaked us out. He said it wasn't the first time it had happened, but his sister hadn't believed him until then. They knew the people next door were on holiday, so it couldn't have been them. We told their mother the next day; it turned out the neighbours had returned early, and their two houses were converted from some kind of old stable building. Some kind of open area still existed where they were partitioned, and you could hear their living room conversations at the top of the house, albeit weirdly distorted.

The original Mrs BFTD stayed in a small flat when we first met; she warned me that she occasionally heard a "possessed" voice in her bathroom, and it said horrible things to her. I didn't ever hear it, so I just pretended that she might not have some kind of mental disorder. After about a year, I was on the lavvy when it started - it was right next to me, and sounded like Possessed Regan from The Exorcist, only a bit higher pitched. It was saying really nasty, unpleasant, hateful stuff, but I listened for a while and never heard it again after that occasion.

Months later, the missus arrived home and there was a wee crowd of polis round the back of her apartment. She took a wee nosy and saw an angry old woman being led out of the apartment behind hers, and she was clearly the owner of the voice. Apparently she'd stabbed her husband and he'd finally had enough of living with a demon-voiced fruitcake. It's somehow creepier to think that there had been an actual (presumably mentally ill) person regularly saying those things on the other side of the thin wall behind us  :shutup

^^^ absence of ghosts thread for this pish

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

There was a ghost monk in my old house that was fond of walking about the upstairs corridor opening and closing random doors. 

No there wasn’t.

A topic on which I am perfectly happy to never have my suspicions confirmed or corrected.

The only time I have ever been a touch uneasy was in one of my old jobs where I locked up the premises when I was done for the day. Before I left I gave the public areas a once over. When I was done, as I walked out across the public foyer I always called out 'Anyone left?' in case anyone had wondered in or whatever when my back was turned. On one particular occasion I heard a very clear coughing sound right behind me, the sort of two-tone, clearing throat one, a second after I had shouted that into an empty room. Probably nothing but could have done without the experience! There was always talk of odd lights and stuff on the other side of the site, but nothing of a phantom TB victim!

Edited by southernrover
Sp.