Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇵🇹 Portugal - 15th October

10 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Aye, Bruno looked genuinely annoyed by Ronaldo near the end. When he threw the ball away, Bruno went to get it and seemed to give him some verbals. On a similar note, I noticed Ralston shaking his head and muttering when we brought Dykes on but reckon that was more down to him expecting to come off as he was already hobbling then.

Ralston was limping a little and clutching at his groin occasionally from about the 20th minute. I was very surprised to see him re-emerge after half time but to be fair he continued to play well enough until he was subbed. I guess unlike others he isn't likely to have a club game to worry about at the weekend.

22 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What happened to him? I can't remember which tournament it was, maybe world cup 18 or euro 2020 but he had cut that shit out of his game completely, had huge respect for him.

Something changed and he's a massive sheet stain. 

I don't think anything's necessarily changed, I think it's just the same personality and attitude that really drove him to be at the top of the sport now being his biggest weakness.  It's alright having that drive for perfection when you're in your 20s or early 30s and your body can keep up.  But now he's obviously slowed down and his body - whilst still in far better condition than any of us will ever manage - is obviously on the wane, he can't reach those same heights.  At that point you probably should be coming to terms with that, finding a role that fits the talents you do still have like so many other players have done.  But instead, he feels he's still Billy Big Bollocks and that even though the previous 799 shots have not gone in, number 800 is definitely going to work.

Probably doesn't help that every Portugal manager seems to just enable him.  

Think there's a bigger picture with Ronaldo to realise here.

Since he is one of the most famous superstars around and still playing at a high enough level, there's probably a lot of pressure on the managers from the Portugese FA to keep him as part of the squads as he brings in a lot of moolah for them perhaps?

22 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He makes glaring errors almost every game. We need better at centre half now we're in a 4 and he's not good with the ball at his feet. He's not playing at club level and shouldn't be a starter for us either. 

There's absolutely no doubt we need to try and identify better centre halves than Hanley going forward.

Unfortunately, right now there arent any.

You are correct that he isnt playing at club level, but neither is Porteous and Hendry, McKenna and Tierney are all injured.

That leaves us with Lyndsey who none of us know if he is good enough at this level.

FWIW, I thought Hanley had a very good game v Portugal and was pretty decent v Croatia. But I agree he isnt the long term answer.

46 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

image.thumb.png.05fc30175c8e62763b67f8ccf728b349.png

a 33% start rate and 49% of total pitch minutes would suggest that this season Porteous is involved regularly rather than playing regularly. 

When I've glanced at it I've included the 2 EFL games which would take it up to over 50% of games.

I also watched his last game against Middlesbrough and he was excellent so I'd expect to see him in the side going forward