Steelmen v Terrors Friday 20 September 19.45

Like others, I expect a closely fought match with one side winning by the odd goal.

We havent been coughing up too many cheap goals this season, but we definitely struggle to create a lot of chances with Miller in an advanced role and Robinson isolated.

Really hope to see Miller playing deeper where he can control the pace of the game for us and we can find a way to get more support to Robinson.

Id go with Vale and either Tavares or Maswanhise up top with Robinson in a 3-4-3.

Obviously it becomes 5-4-1 when we dont have the ball.

United have looked decent so far this season and look to have recruited well. But I think their defence can still be got at if we give it a go rather than taking the pragmatic approach that I fear SK will stick with.

Well, it will be a closely fought game. If we could make sure Robinson has some support, then maybe he will have a chance to actually score. The longer he go's without a goal, the less likely he will score.

It's our best chance to reach a semi final in a while. And who knows what the other fixtures will result in.

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

And who knows what the other fixtures will result in.

My betting app spat out odds of 1.12 (2/17 converted) of the Old Firm and Aberdeen progressing. You could maybe give Dundee an outside chance but I think a shock is very unlikely in those three games.

Though based purely on a hunch, I actually think a half complacent, half Celtic reserve side is more likely to lose an early(ish) tie like this to Falkirk than at Hampden to us, Aberdeen etc.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

My betting app spat out odds of 1.12 (2/17 converted) of the Old Firm and Aberdeen progressing. You could maybe give Dundee an outside chance but I think a shock is very unlikely in those three games.

Though based purely on a hunch, I actually think a half complacent, half Celtic reserve side is more likely to lose an early(ish) tie like this to Falkirk than at Hampden to us, Aberdeen etc.

Are we talking about the same Celtic reserve side that Inclcudes 4m Bernardo, 9.5m Idah, 6m Trusty, and some Barcelona loanee? 

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Are we talking about the same Celtic reserve side that Inclcudes 4m Bernardo, 9.5m Idah, 6m Trusty, and some Barcelona loanee? 

That's the one, aye. I didn't say it was likely they'll lose to Falkirk mind, just that a slip in low-key circumstances because they're not concentrating and/or shuffling is marginally more probable than when their first XI turns up to Hampden with game faces on because there's a trophy on the line.

19 hours ago, kingjoey said:

FWIW United fans on their own thread complaining that Beaton is the ref because he was, apparently, born in Motherwell. Fitba fans,, eh?

You're making things up again. That's stirring up trouble where there's none.

My main complaint with Beaton isn't that he was born in Motherwell, it's that he was born.

I dont feel we have ever got the rub of the green from the likes of Beaton, Collum and Dallas before them.

It has always felt like they over compensate for being local so they cant be accused of being "homers".

Of course, it might just be that none of them have been that consistent in their decision making and fans of every club feel the same way?

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You're making things up again. That's stirring up trouble where there's none.

My main complaint with Beaton isn't that he was born in Motherwell, it's that he was born.

No need to mention where he was born unless you are implying bias.

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Genuinely- and not in a snide way- mental that we finished 12 points ahead of you that season.

You had a very good season as I recall.

I must admit that as a fan there are just certain games and occasions that you want to remember* that makes it all worthwhile.  That game is one of them.

* There’s certain games against Motherwell that I’d prefer to forget that I imagine are high up on your ‘remember’ list.  :(

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You had a very good season as I recall.

I must admit that as a fan there are just certain games and occasions that you want to remember* that makes it all worthwhile.  That game is one of them.

* There’s certain games against Motherwell that I’d prefer to forget that I imagine are high up on your ‘remember’ list.  :(

Sort of aye, there was still a lot of quality, given we finished 2nd, like Sutton, Hutchinson, Ainsworth etc but also genuine no-hopers like Cummins, Reid and the three goalies who all had no business being in the top flight at all. Just a really weirdly imbalanced team really, definitely worse than the United one on paper. I think we just dug out a lot of narrow victories, usually late on.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

16 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's the one, aye. I didn't say it was likely they'll lose to Falkirk mind, just that a slip in low-key circumstances because they're not concentrating and/or shuffling is marginally more probable than when their first XI turns up to Hampden with game faces on because there's a trophy on the line.

I should add, my comment was meant in Jest because I do actually agree with you, meeting Celtic, or Rangers at Hampden your facing a totally different beast. it's just mental that a so called 'reserve' side has about 25 million pounds worth of new signings in it.

25 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I should add, my comment was meant in Jest because I do actually agree with you, meeting Celtic, or Rangers at Hampden your facing a totally different beast. it's just mental that a so called 'reserve' side has about 25 million pounds worth of new signings in it.

Ah, yes, no worries at all.

And yeah, we frequently say the gap has never been bigger etc but you look at their squad and financials released this week and it's just off the chart atm. 

I frequently wonder just what their fans get out of watching this these days, especially as they get rinsed silly with kick-off times and 'category A' prices every away game.

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Ah, yes, no worries at all.

And yeah, we frequently say the gap has never been bigger etc but you look at their squad and financials released this week and it's just off the chart atm. 

I frequently wonder just what their fans get out of watching this these days, especially as they get rinsed silly with kick-off times and 'category A' prices every away game.

I will tell you what they get out of it. They get to moan the minute they drop points to anyone. If you ever listen to Clyde Sportsound (podcast) it really is a hoot. You will get Celtic fans usually from Motherwell moaning that they should not have dropped points away to St Mirren and that Rogers job should be under scrutiny. That is usually after winning 15 games in a row and having won a cup or two the same year.

How the other half live. Try supporting a team that loses as much as they win if not more……