S'tenhous'emuir v Queen's'

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good to see Brydon on the bench. Have to admit I had to check which one it was. 

Is there any news on how long Craik and Bryden are out for? Unreal we bring in two strikers to help in an area we're weak in and they're both crocked almost immediately. 

GYAJnawWUAA1J9G.jpeg

That's looking like the strongest 20 we've been able to name all season.  When fit, Fraser Bryden could well displace McKechnie in the starting XI but I reckon that Craik would struggle to even make the bench.

2 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

That's looking like the strongest 20 we've been able to name all season.  When fit, Fraser Bryden could well displace McKechnie in the starting XI but I reckon that Craik would struggle to even make the bench.

I didn't want to be too negative but from what I've seen from Craik so far, if his injury is months rather than weeks I'd be sending him back. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I didn't want to be too negative but from what I've seen from Craik so far, if his injury is months rather than weeks I'd be sending him back. 

Maybe if we stick a couple of apostrophes in when typing his name he will become a key player?  Z'ander Cr'aik perhaps?

Hard to believe it’s 0-0 at the break. Queens have been utterly dominant in the first half, best performance of the season so far IMO. We just lack the requisite cutting edge up front, or even a break of the ball in the box. 

There haven’t been any failures in the first half, and McIntosh is having a better game today, holding it up well and looking strong on the ball. Kennedy has been outstanding, he’s improving week by week, and Lyon and Dickenson continue to be class acts, although as has often been the case this season, the former definitely gets targeted by the opposition, being repeatedly hacked down when in possession.

We’ve had a string of chances, with a stinging shot from Dickenson from a tight angle that forced a decent save out of the keeper one of the highlights, but McKechnie really should have put us 1-0 up just before the interval. If I were to be harsh, Hewitt maybe hasn’t had his best game, with a few poor touches when in good positions, but we’ve played some excellent football, knocking the ball around to great effect, with lots of dangerous moves, and good overlapping play down the left flank in particular from Kennedy and McIntrye. Frustrating that McKechnie inexplicably elected to shoot from the centre circle when we had a dangerous 3 v 2 break on. 

We should really be 2 or 3 up at the break, but with the ref being card happy - there were at least half a dozen bookings in the first half, it’s a lottery if this finishes up 11 v 11. Really good performance though, and we’re a class above Stenny, but we need to convert our superiority into goals in the second half.

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good to see Brydon on the bench. Have to admit I had to check which one it was. 

Is there any news on how long Craik and Bryden are out for? Unreal we bring in two strikers to help in an area we're weak in and they're both crocked almost immediately. 

Especially as Craik was crocked playing for Killie Colts in the Challenge Cup against Cowdenbeath*

*He appeared as a sub against Alloa after being crocked but I’m guessing it was the same injury. Plus it would have spoiled the alliteration.

2 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Hard to believe it’s 0-0 at the break. Queens have been utterly dominant in the first half, best performance of the season so far IMO. We just lack the requisite cutting edge up front, or even a break of the ball in the box. 

There haven’t been any failures in the first half, and McIntosh is having a better game today, holding it up well and looking strong on the ball. Kennedy has been outstanding, he’s improving week by week, and Lyon and Dickenson continue to be class acts, although as has often been the case this season, the former definitely gets targeted by the opposition, being repeatedly hacked down when in possession.

We’ve had a string of chances, with a stinging shot from Dickenson from a tight angle that forced a decent save out of the keeper one of the highlights, but McKechnie really should have put us 1-0 up just before the interval. If I were to be harsh, Hewitt maybe hasn’t had his best game, with a few poor touches when in good positions, but we’ve played some great football, knocking the ball around to great effect, with lots of dangerous moves, and good overlapping play down the left flank in particular from Kennedy and McIntrye. Frustrating that McKechnie inexplicably elected to shoot from the centre circle when we had a dangerous 3 v 2 break on. 

We should really be 2 or 3 up at the break, but with the ref being card happy - there were at least half a dozen bookings in the first half, it’s a lottery if this finishes up 11 v 11. Really good performance though, and we’re a class above Stenny, but we need to convert our superiority into goals in the second half.

Just about to comment on how Twitter and the stats would have us believe we should be winning here. Stenny goal incoming then...

21 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

We’ve had a string of chances, with a stinging shot from Dickenson from a tight angle that forced a decent save out of the keeper one of the highlights, but McKechnie really should have put us 1-0 up just before the interval. If I were to be harsh, Hewitt maybe hasn’t had his best game, with a few poor touches when in good positions, but we’ve played some excellent football, knocking the ball around to great effect, with lots of dangerous moves, and good overlapping play down the left flank in particular from Kennedy and McIntrye. Frustrating that McKechnie inexplicably elected to shoot from the centre circle when we had a dangerous 3 v 2 break on. 

Good to hear but starts to be concerning the longer this goes without us scoring ...

14 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Will we ever score a goal away from home again? So many missed chances today

Just now, QoS99 said:

Our lack of goals is becoming a concern, we really need to be winning these games if we are going for the League.

The only away game we've scored in this season was our first one at East Kilbride.  That's now 5 consecutive away games where we've failed to find the net.  I'm not sure if that's a club record.  Maybe @Artemis or @Skyline Drifter will know?  Amazingly, we remain in the top 3 in the league despite no other club having scored fewer goals than us.

5 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Our lack of goals is becoming a concern, we really need to be winning these games if we are going for the League.

Couldn’t make the game as just flew in from US but to not score in 4 away games is a real concern. Goals win games and winning games wins league. Let’s hope Bryden is back next week. I am worried that Craik is so injury prone and what little I saw of him he contributed nothing. Could we send him back and get a non contract forward in? 

Four consecutive away league games without scoring.
I previously thought the club record was 5 but I think it is 6 - three at the end of 18/19 and three at the start of 19/20, not including play-off matches.
It must be a long time since Queens went 4 games without scoring away from home in the same season (and in the third tier).
Don’t know what the record is including cup games @Slipmat

Definitely two points dropped today. We were well ahead of Stenny in every conceivable metric, other than goals scored. Thought we lost a lot of our attacking threat when Dickenson went off, but we should have been well ahead in the first half. McKechnie looked a little off the boil today and missed chances in either half, and while McIntosh looked better today than he has in previous games, he continues to never quite be in the right place at the right time to look like a genuine goal-scoring threat.

It was a very good performance on the whole, and we looked sound in defence again, but Stenny picked up the same points as us despite not playing remotely well. Sadly there are no points available for technical merit, as we looked like an excellent footballing side at times. Not sure there’s an easy answer to the lack of goals in this team, but it’s hard to imagine us playing all that much better away from home, so we really need to start converting a few of the chances that we create.

Happy with the point in the circumstances. No doubt QotS were on top in that first half and our goalie, not for this first time, was our MotM. Second half was more even with fewer scares in our box, but there is no doubt having to make four enforced changes impacted our attacking capabilities. Hats off to the team, as they really dug in and right at the end had a chance to sneak a win. I want to see the challenge on Berry as I was convinced the defender absolutely clattered him as he went for the header. 

Our fears about lack of goals in the frontline are becoming a little too stark as the games go by. The new guy actually did alright, but are we really going to persevere with Aitken all season?

Fingers crossed not too many of the injuries are serious but I fear the worst. Taylor, in particular, looked bad. We could be looking at as many as 7 players unavailable for next week.

I won't sniff at a point away from home but it sounded like we should have taken 3 points today. The sooner we have Bryden up and running, the better. But there's going to be a lot of expectation put on the young guy. 

Hopefully we're in the race come January and Murphy can pull something (well, a striker) out the bag. 

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Fingers crossed not too many of the injuries are serious but I fear the worst. Taylor, in particular, looked bad. We could be looking at as many as 7 players unavailable for next week.

If 7 aren't available, will Matty Yates get back into the starting eleven? Something must be badly amiss when he never got on the park with O'Reilly and Taylor both forced off.

The referee today, Steven Kirkland, put in an astonishing performance. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a dirty match, with 6 first half bookings and nine overall, but apart form the Bilham challenge near the end most of the other eight could have been warnings. Alston's tackle which resulted in the booking wasn't even a foul.

Noting QoS fans yearning for a striker in January, I think most clubs are the same including Stenhousemuir.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

44 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The referee today, Steven Kirkland, put in an astonishing performance. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a dirty match, with 6 first half bookings and nine overall, but apart form the Bilham challenge near the end most of the other eight could have been warnings. Alston's tackle which resulted in the booking wasn't even a foul.

I can't recall exactly what Alston's booking was for, but it was ludicrous that he didn't get a second one late on.  His immediate substitution was sensible.

As others are saying, we were much the better side, especially in the first half.  McKechnie was guilty of missing 3 good chances.  The second half one looked like a sitter but it's hard to tell.  I'd like to see it again from a better angle.