Sober Fresher's Week

I'm old enough for it to have been deemed acceptable to have strippers from the Daily Sport and a hypnotist during freshers week. Tremendous stuff it was.

I wouldn't have had the career I have now if that hadn't been allowed.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm old enough for it to have been deemed acceptable to have strippers from the Daily Sport and a hypnotist during freshers week. Tremendous stuff it was.

I wouldn't have had the career I have now if that hadn't been allowed.

^ Stripping hypnotist imo

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

My university gave us free pizza during freshers week*.

Hide contents

It was plain cheese and tomato pizza, but their hearts were in the right place.

Margherita is the best pizza. So good on them, I say! 

The Scottish government destroyed it with their alcohol licencing and minimum unit pricing laws making the likes of 60p mixers (c.2008/9) no longer possible. I had no money then when it was cheap and would be financially destitute if I had the same attitude towards drinking in today's prices as i did back then

4 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

The Scottish government destroyed it with their alcohol licencing and minimum unit pricing laws making the likes of 60p mixers (c.2008/9) no longer possible. I had no money then when it was cheap and would be financially destitute if I had the same attitude towards drinking in today's prices as i did back then

Driftwood on Charring Cross was a particular favourite, their prices sustained my functioning alcoholic lifestyle well into my late 20’s, never mind my student days.

5 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I went to an event at a bar when I was at Uni, they were opening a new back bar and when they opened it up the entire bar was covered with shots of vodka, all free. People just finished their pints and then filled up their glasses with free vodka. 

Can’t do it now because of woke.

10 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Not sure that's entirely true as loads of pubs were doing £2 pints for freshers week near me. Which works out as a fair bit below the standard cost of a pint when I was a late teen.

Minimum pricing just affects those who drink at home. You could still sell a vodka coke for 60p if you wanted.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not sure that's entirely true as loads of pubs were doing £2 pints for freshers week near me. Which works out as a fair bit below the standard cost of a pint when I was a late teen.

Minimum pricing just affects those who drink at home. You could still sell a vodka coke for 60p if you wanted.

Yes I believe the actual law is prices have to be the same for 72 hours or can't be changed before 72 hours or some kind of $hite.

Companies/bars etc still have to purchase alcohol at higher tax rates though depending on its strength I'm sure so will likely bump the prices up accordingly

On 22/09/2024 at 07:49, highlandmac said:

Its almost as if the people who populate these two institutions are more into this upper middle class minority sport&so do all they can to promote& protect it

Do you know anyone senior in government, the civil service or the police in Scotland? Football is still by far the number one sport among all three. But they don't travel to games on coaches.

Anyway, having played and watched both football and rugby a lot, for a long time, I'm confident in saying the behaviour of rugby players is worse than football players, and the behaviour of football fans is a great deal worse than rugby fans. I saw worse behaviour at Scotland v Switzerland in Cologne than I've seen at every rugby game I've been to combined, and that match was tame. 

Edited by GordonS

26 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

RIP to the ‘yellow card’ pubs and the £1 a pint Mondays at the crags in Edinburgh. 

Even at the current minimum of 50p a unit, pubs would need to be selling single spirit and mixers for < 50p, doubles for < £1, pints for < £1 etc. I’ve not seen those prices even before the law came in.  

I wonder if any pubs have tried to circumvent the law by selling a token item for 50p and throwing in a “free” pint on top.

It's objectively and logically a good thing that young people increasingly choose to enjoy themselves without getting shitfaced. It's better for their mental and physical health, their bank balances and their ability to function the next day. 

Anyone who makes that judgement at the age of 17or 18 and takes the responsibility for themselves should be applauded and is one for the watching.