Treble Chasing Motherwell vs St Mirren - 28/09/24

Back to league action for Motherwell, hopefully we can take our momentum from Friday night and get all 3 points. St Mirren have had respectable start to the season without looking brilliant. This feels like (another) big game for us, a win would take us 2 points ahead of St Mirren an at the very least up into 5th. It's still very early days but getting points on the board early on rather than our recent scrambles for signings come January can only be seen as a good thing.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

St Mirren to dent Motherwell’s treble aspirations with a 90+5th minute Kevin Van Veen goal…

….to round off a 0-5 victory.

Big Kev looked the part when he came on yesterday, should have buried the chance he created for himself but he’s looking in good shape. 

St Mirren probably took a bit of time to get going post-europe and will certainly be tough opponents now. With us, there's a fine line between being solid and hard to beat, and uninspired and passive. I won't be able to watch this one so I expect a thrilling Desmond.

St Mirren feel like another one of those sides, like Aberdeen, that historically other Motherwell managers have had a reasonably decent record against but Kettlewell has, for some reason, struggled with.

In fact, for all his faults Alexander never actually lost against them - P 6 W 2 D 4 L 0.

The only time we've beat them under Kettlewell was his first game in charge when we won 2-1 after Hammell had been emptied.

Since then we've played 4 games in all competitions and it's been 2 draws and 2 wins for St Mirren.

Anyway, for all folk have (and will continue to have) beef with Miller being used in a more advanced role we're probably at the point where unless we have (more) injuries the team pretty much picks itself atm.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if this ended up a draw tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

I think Saints have had a decent enough start given the context of the start to the season.

Of the 5 league games we've played to date 3 were against sides who finished in the top six last season and the other two against two of the bigger lads in Hibs and Aberdeen.

The two of those we lost were against Celtic and Aberdeen, and nobody else has even taken a point of either of those.

Throw in the extertions of the European fixtures and a fair few injuries and I don't think it's been a bad start at all.

Motherwell look in decent fettle but if we are to repeat the top six finishes of the last two seasons then it's games like these that you need to take something from.

Would probably take a point right now if offered, but the script is surely written for KVV to get the winner.

On 22/09/2024 at 12:06, bendan said:

Treble-Chasing Motherwell's Euro Hopes Dented by Swashbuckling Saints Late Stunner

As much as i disagree with the content, I have to applaud the alliteration. 

I always like games against St. Mirren, big fizzical football on all sides should be applauded. 

22 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

also no idea what players have been brought in. 

Neither do we tbh, most of them have been injured since before the season started. With the return of Chilli D we’ll need to wrap our ‘ballers’ in cotton wool for this one.