Morton vs Raith Rovers 5th October

3 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Enjoyed that, a strange game though. I thought we were murder in the first half, but looked like the only team near winning it in the second. What a difference having an actual cebtre forward makes.

Raith were mince, but I did like the look of Dabo when he came on. Only guy really bothering us. 

Hopefully Mullen’s all good!

... and Stuparevich.

Raith pressed high in the first half and I thought it was going to be a difficult day for us. They had the bulk of possession but it was us to made their keeper work.

Stupa scored a beauty with a header, but it was the delivery that made that goal. Think it was Delaney that crossed it in.

Then Garrity kept his cool in a 1 v 1 with the keeper and slotted it away with ease.

After that we were comfortable and our defence were immense. 

Great result and 3 points!     

31 minutes ago, Michael W said:

That we brought in Jamieson, who I am afraid to say looks like yet another dreadful Premiership loanee, tells you that not very much was available in the striker department.  I have a fair bit of sympathy for the club in thar respect. 

Nevertheless, we have failed to address a clear weakness in the squad and it remains a massive problem. 

I think that’s the issue to be honest , I think Jameson was a panic signing due to being in between managers  and fans were probably getting abit restless but to tell you the truth who is there out there , I’m glad Collins didn’t sign a striker just for the sake of it when he still has the January transfer window open he may have someone in mind but they might not be available until January . Murray and Potter are partly to blame they knew we were light up top but didn’t really address it however we should still be scoring / creating more than we have with the squad we have 

Thought in the first 15/20 mins we were in for it. But pretty much after Raith hit the bar it was all Morton for me. Felt sorry for Stupa in the first half. Felt he was winning balls and knocking them round the corner and everyone else was standing admiring him doing it. Delighted he’s off the mark early with a great header and all being well he’s went off with cramp. A special mention to both Cammy Ballantyne and Zak Delaney who I thought were both excellent today. Especially Cammy. Think he won pretty much everything thrown at him. 

Onwards and upwards!!

Delighted with the result and performance. The ref again was shocking - we had 3 penalty claims, of which 1 and 3 seemed clear pens. Despite that we were very comfortable. The first half we held Raith at bay, with some decent counters. The second half we were comfortably the better side and deserved the win. 

I’ve said for a while that what we need is a striker to stick a chance away. The cross from Delaney and finish from Stupa were top class today. Having taken the lead we managed the game really well. If we can do this consistently we can start to look up. 

Ballantyne MOTM for me. Raith should be worried, they looked really poor. Hamilton offered nothing other than clattering into our defenders. 

Feel that result and performance has been coming, played well against Hamilton & Falkirk and didn’t come away with the 3 points, we have on paper a decent team but we’ve been missing that player to put the ball in the net although Filip looked a bit meh at times today I feel he’ll kick on and be an important player for us! he took his goal excellently

hoping we kick on with a bit of confidence and climb up the table still a bit off 4th & we can’t let the gap open up further with games against teams lower in the table coming up we should be looking to pick up 9 points 1 being a big game already at this stage against Queen’s at home 

Felt we were lucky to get to the break still 0-0 - Raith were first to everything in the first 20 minutes and we only looked like matching them when we stopped hoofing it. Much better after the break, and we settled well thanks to two quick goals. Had enough in us to see it out.

Bizarre incident at the end with Mullen needing a stretcher, then not needing one, Cammy Ballantyne fetching and putting on a goalkeeper jersey, then going back and putting his hoops on again when Mullen decided he was fit enough to play on.

3 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

A “striker” that doesn’t….erm “strike”

Hamilton had absolutely nothing to work with today.  Long punts up to him, nobody near him when he won headers, and was treated to some terrible crosses in the box.  He also was a major factor in the improved performances in the previous weeks.  Although that likely goes against the narrative.

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Hamilton had absolutely nothing to work with today.  Long punts up to him, nobody near him when he won headers, and was treated to some terrible crosses in the box.  He also was a major factor in the improved performances in the previous weeks.  Although that likely goes against the narrative.

That second half was hopeless puts to an isolated Hamilton. 

Raith were the better team in the first half but we had the better chances with Dabrowski making two great saves. 

Second half we get a goal and that helps us kick on. 2 good goals and a clean sheet gets us 3 points. Thought the whole defence was superb today but I'd give the motm to Ballantyne who never put a foot wrong apart from sticking the GK top on too quickly.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Raith were the better team in the first half but we had the better chances with Dabrowski making two great saves. 

Second half we get a goal and that helps us kick on. 2 good goals and a clean sheet gets us 3 points. Thought the whole defence was superb today but I'd give the motm to Ballantyne who never put a foot wrong apart from sticking the GK top on too quickly.

I thought it was a bit unfair to pick anyone out in our defence today as they were all excellent. But have to agree,  Ballantyne was my MotM too. Early days but he's been a great signing for us so far.

Delaney played his best game for us today, and both Baird and Broadfoot both dominant in the centre. 

The header from Stuparević is even better than it looked in real time. Peels away from Hanlon to buy some space while staying in front of Murray as the ball comes to Delaney already knowing exactly what he wants to do, a perfectly timed leap followed by placement of the header that no goalkeeper could hope to deal with.

At the time I wasn't sure about the first penalty shout, but from the highlights that's a penalty for me. Dabrowski wipes Moffat out, while the ball has hit off Dabrowski after Moffat's touch so you could argue that constitutes playing the ball and makes the challenge okay, Moffat's still going to have a tap in into an open net from the break of the ball if he doesn't then get taken down. Either way it's clownshoe goalkeeping when Moffat shouldn't have had a chance to win the ball in the first place.

The second claim in the first half doesn't even merit discussion, a classic case of a player running into one too many tackles and flopping in the hope of buying something. The third shout is in the realm of seen several of them given but can't argue with not giving it either.

While I'm wary of making too many predictions with this league being as tight as it is, another clean sheet is really encouraging. I'm still firmly in the take 8th if we're offered it mindset, but we're seeing enough to be confident for now of finishing above Airdrie & Dunfermline at least.

If the defence continues to be as tight as it's been outwith the Falkirk game, then even with our struggles to score (which Stuparević is hopefully going to continue resolving) we're going to keep ticking over with enough wins at home and shitfest some more 0-0 draws away. Hopefully at least one of Raith, Partick and Hamilton remain in this bottom half pack rather than pulling away closer to the top four too.

20 hours ago, Irosshed and I was wrong said:

Imagine getting royally pumped by us. Great too see you aren’t over it big tits. X

Mind the gap 

20 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The board dont sign players, that's down to the manager and Potter........ unless I've missed something

Didn't you sack the manager whilst the window was fully open then replaced him when the restricted transfer window was left.

Thought the wee 150 years display was pretty cool.

After years of complaining about the view, fair play to Morton for putting us behind the goals.  Great view and a much better place to watch football.

Morton well worth the win in the end, no complaints.