Pubs of your misspent youth

Mind now folks, I’m talking here about ‘back in the day’, approximately 1978 - 1984 when young, free, single, and so on… as I was brought up in Johnstone, our nights out absolutely went in this direction. The further East we headed, the bigger the night out…

1. Local quick beer type of night out - Cochrane House, Lynnhurst Hotel, or Osprey Bar, Johnstone/Spateston.

2. A few more beers and a takeaway Chinese type of night out - Coanes Wine Bar, Sophies, Johnstone.

3. Feeling more adventurous at the weekend - into Paisley.

4. Premier League night out - Glasgow. Centre Court Bar, La Marelle, Cardinal Folly. Full bhoona white jaikets’ with sleeves rolled up, 1980s hair… the works.

Happy days.

Lived in a wee village as a youngster in the early nineties, so a Saturday would see a wee trip a couple of miles down the road to Bellshill and the frequenting of Franklyns and the Carousel, before crossing the road for late drinks and loose women in Charlie's. 

A bigger night out would be to Hamilton, starting in Jilts or the Stonehouse then stoating round to the Palace.

A trip into the big smoke of Glasgow would inevitably end up with a visit to the very upmarket Bonkers, where I once stood queueing for the bar and a guy next to me was quite openly and vigorously fingering a young lady. You just can't buy class like that.

6 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Lived in a wee village as a youngster in the early nineties, so a Saturday would see a wee trip a couple of miles down the road to Bellshill and the frequenting of Franklyns and the Carousel, before crossing the road for late drinks and loose women in Charlie's. 

A bigger night out would be to Hamilton, starting in Jilts or the Stonehouse then stoating round to the Palace.

A trip into the big smoke of Glasgow would inevitably end up with a visit to the very upmarket Bonkers, where I once stood queueing for the bar and a guy next to me was quite openly and vigorously fingering a young lady. You just can't buy class like that.

Bonkers was the most appropriately named venue of them all.

I knew a guy who worked there for a whole 3 shifts - the first one, someone got glassed right in front of him; the second someone got stabbed; and he finally decided it wasn't for him when a gang fight started on his third. And they were probably quiet nights .

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Jealous as f**k. Always wanted to go to Peep Peeps.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Utterly shite pub, but it was always heaving at the weekend.

For those of us that never went, that cheap and cheerful film Sky did of it years ago, including the interview with Chris (?), is worth its weight in gold. Britain's Roughest Pubs or something... can't even remember the other entries!

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I did most of my youthful boozing in The Star in Montrose.

star-hotel-montrose-Copy.jpeg.3fb6b461daf9fae968681f76ed1fe4c1.jpeg

It's still going 

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Live punk music on Thursday nights. Rave type events on Fridays and Saturdays. Strippers on Sundays.

Craig david found.

1 hour ago, southernrover said:

For those of us that never went, that cheap and cheerful film Sky did of it years ago, including the interview with Chris (?), is worth its weight in gold. Britain's Roughest Pubs or something... can't even remember the other entries!

26 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Years ago, I'm talking mid '90s here, I was on a pub crawl in Aberdeen and I ended up a very dodgy pub down by the harbour. 

I'm sure it was called The Anchorage.

This place looked like a work canteen. No real decor to speak of and very plain furniture. 

Does anyone know if it still there?

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Pints would have been taken in the Golden Gates after Meadowbank Thistle games but that's an office now. 

Both huge losses

Just now, tongue_tied_danny said:

Is that pub called Right Wing?

Aye, no longer about unfortunately.

It belonged to the Scottish footballing God that was Gordon Smith.

Named for his position on the pitch, not his political views.