Celtic v Aberdeen 19th October

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

I think we need Sokler's legs up front for this one.

Tempted to start with Keskinen and Morris on the wings, and perhaps bring Duk on through the middle halfway through the 2nd half to stretch their defence.

He’s hopeless though.

We’ll only get one or two opportunities there, do you really think he’ll take any?

Ok so he’s more mobile…. Is that it? 

29 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s hopeless though.

We’ll only get one or two opportunities there, do you really think he’ll take any?

Ok so he’s more mobile…. Is that it? 

He’s a better linker of play and significantly stronger defensively than Nisbet, though it does seem he couldn’t finish his dinner.
Nisbet is a good finisher, but he’s pretty lazy and doesn’t seem to do a whole lot else. If you fused them together you’d have a good player right enough.

Sokler is definitely more energetic than Nisbet, but if a half-chance drops to either of them (which might be all you get at Parkhead) then you are wanting it to be Nisbet every time. So it’s something of a trade off. Sokler isn’t particularly good at holding the ball, but Nisbet looked bad at this part of the game yesterday too. I think I probably would go for Nisbet, but understand the case for going with Sokler. Either way, I expect Celtic to win the game, but think we can cause issues in transition if we have a solid enough shape about us and don’t have thirty yards between each player when we regain possession, like sometimes appears to be the case in these games. It will be the first league game where Thelin can definitely play how he seemingly did at Elfsborg, surrendering lots of possession and creating chances on quick transitions.

I agree with others that we should go with a three of Nilsen, Palaversa and Shinnie, although do have some concerns that taking Clarkson out will make us less effective in those transitions and make it harder to connect midfield to attack. He did such an excellent job of that against Celtic in the semi-final last season, so I definitely think we stand to lose something without him. 

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s incredible the amount of dafties in their support that think we’re being serious.

Not only Celtic supporters, the BBC Sportsound podcast tomorrow is doing a special on “can Aberdeen win the league?”. No doubt they’ll find a couple of folk in our support that’ll pander to their stupidity.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not only Celtic supporters, the BBC Sportsound podcast tomorrow is doing a special on “can Aberdeen win the league?”. No doubt they’ll find a couple of folk in our support that’ll pander to their stupidity.

All setting us up for a hosing at Parkhead and they can say “who the hell do they think we are?” 

43 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I mean it would never match Leicester and I think because of the staleness of the league I don’t think the question is totally unfeasible tbh. I can’t see any Aberdeen fans saying being carried away about it at present though.

Edited by gannonball

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The same people who would tell you they’d be happy to have a more competitive league, probably. Right up until the point Celtic might not win it. 

Most of those , with the exception of one or two, are in the media.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That's what the Celtic minded media establishment do. Pile on the pressure, try to get inside the heads of the 'uppity diddies' If by some miracle Aberdeen are still up there at Christmas wait for the 'transfer speculation' stories 

20 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

That's what the Celtic minded media establishment do. Pile on the pressure, try to get inside the heads of the 'uppity diddies' If by some miracle Aberdeen are still up there at Christmas wait for the 'transfer speculation' stories 

It’s been a very interesting start to the season and as usual the media have just got carried away. It’s literally what they do all the time, a couple of weeks ago we’re being lauded for our performance against St.Johnstone then a few days later we got utterly ridiculed for being pumped by Dortmund. Not everything is a conspiracy against the ‘diddies’ ffs.

Edited by gannonball

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

A repeat of December 1970 would be wonderful. Although, of course Celtic won the league that season.

Great year for Dons against Celtic that year. 3 wins all in Glasgow. 2 at Parkhead and one at Hampden for that Cup win.

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Great year for Dons against Celtic that year. 3 wins all in Glasgow. 2 at Parkhead and one at Hampden for that Cup win.

Add to that a 2-0 win at Ibrox in October and Aberdeen should have got Glasgow to keep that year. 

11 hours ago, gannonball said:

I mean it would never match Leicester and I think because of the staleness of the league I don’t think the question is totally unfeasible tbh. I can’t see any Aberdeen fans saying being carried away about it at present though.

I think it would be up there with the Leicester title win. They had a fairly hefty budget and not quite the fairytale we were all led to believe.

Sorry to go down the budget route but I wouldn't be surprised the respective gaps are bigger for Aberdeen.

I've seen this movie a few times with Hearts.    There was a game we went to Celtic when we had been on a brilliant run under Jeffries - think we'd won 11 of 12, including beating both the OF at Tynecastle and had a chance to cut the gap to 4 points with a game in hand.   Got absolutely bodied 4 nil. 

Not convinced Aberdeen's defence is good enough to keep Celtic at bay when they're up for it but will be interesting to watch

3 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I think it would be up there with the Leicester title win. They had a fairly hefty budget and not quite the fairytale we were all led to believe.

Sorry to go down the budget route but I wouldn't be surprised the respective gaps are bigger for Aberdeen.

I think anyone other than Celtic or Rangers winning the league would be a much bigger achievement than Leicester.  I think with the level of player that English Premier teams are able to attract,  lots of them could pull off a Leicester if they get a good run together and are lucky with injuries.  Up here you're scrabbling for journeymen

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I think anyone other than Celtic or Rangers winning the league would be a much bigger achievement than Leicester.  I think with the level of player that English Premier teams are able to attract,  lots of them could pull off a Leicester if they get a good run together and are lucky with injuries.  Up here you're scrabbling for journeymen

if anyone does it (they won’t) it’ll be much bigger than a Leicester 

19 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Tickets and allocations are always a hotly debated and a very passionate subject on here, Aberdeen could clearly bring several thousand to this match given the run of form they are on, while obviously they won't get that, in the midst of all the trends of away allocations being cut I'd like to see Celtic do the decent thing and give the Dons a bit more than the standard 800 or so in the away section... if for no other reason than to use as a bargaining chip for a few hundred extra when we go to Pittodrie.... I think unfortunately we all know that sadly that won't happen.

No chance that will happen. 

Aberdeen give Celtic a far bigger % of Pittodrie than Celtic give them at Celtic Park even with the reduced allocation.

On another note, i'd be open to Killie giving Aberdeen a section of the main stand on boxing day if they sell out the Chadwick. Certainly won't be saying the same when the play the OF.