Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

44 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I could fix a dripping tap or toilet cistern with about 10 minutes work, a pair of pliers and a washer.

Nowadays, our kitchen and utility room taps are both dripping and when I take the cover off not only are there now abominations called "ceramic cartridges" inside, each tap takes a different design of cartridge at both ends. Added of course to the next issue that because both are mixer taps, I'd have to turn the water off not only to replace the d@mn thing, I'd also have ato turn it off to find out if it's the hot or cold one that's the source of the drip.

The toilet, that used to be a push handle, floating ballcock type is now some sort of internal solid state plastic monstrosity so that it's impossible to tell exactly where the problem is.

image.png.0ec9f0e6facc3ac2b2e9b4dc0fda283c.png

On 24/07/2023 at 22:22, scottsdad said:

Virgin Media too

Aye, the grouping together of the +1 channels, as practicle as it may sound.... isn't. Nothing short of a pain the arse imo.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Ok, ok, my turn. What in the name of the wee man with big feet is the story with plumbing these days?

In times gone by, when everything cost a penny and was made of wood, I could fix a dripping tap or toilet cistern with about 10 minutes work, a pair of pliers and a washer.

Nowadays, our kitchen and utility room taps are both dripping and when I take the cover off not only are there now abominations called "ceramic cartridges" inside, each tap takes a different design of cartridge at both ends. Added of course to the next issue that because both are mixer taps, I'd have to turn the water off not only to replace the d@mn thing, I'd also have ato turn it off to find out if it's the hot or cold one that's the source of the drip.

The toilet, that used to be a push handle, floating ballcock type is now some sort of internal solid state plastic monstrosity so that it's impossible to tell exactly where the problem is.

Improvement? Modernisation? I'll give them improvements and modernisations! 

I'm off for a cup of tea.

I know the feeling. A few weeks ago the bathroom cistern started overflowing, and it's one of these plastic monstrosities inside rather than the old fashioned ballcocks. The next day the downstairs toilet started doing the same. Added to that the gland on the stopcock of the bathroom toilet started to leak as soon as I turned it. I needed to get a plumber to sort it all as I knew if I tried to fix it I'd just make things worse.

It's spooky how two different toilets, both installed over 12 years ago, both developed the same problem at the same time.

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Ok, ok, my turn. What in the name of the wee man with big feet is the story with plumbing these days?

In times gone by, when everything cost a penny and was made of wood, I could fix a dripping tap or toilet cistern with about 10 minutes work, a pair of pliers and a washer.

Just wait until you try to reset the points on the car. 

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

^^^  TX Rover has competition ^^^

The longest day was over a month ago. The nights are starting to draw in. It’s rained more days than it’s been warm and sunny in the last month. The leaves on the tree out the back from me are starting to turn orange and brown and look autumnal. Scottish schools finish the summer holidays in under 3 weeks. But, as the English schools have just gone on holiday, I’m being told on every TV channel that summer has just started.

45 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

The longest day was over a month ago. The nights are starting to draw in. It’s rained more days than it’s been warm and sunny in the last month. The leaves on the tree out the back from me are starting to turn orange and brown and look autumnal. Scottish schools finish the summer holidays in under 3 weeks. But, as the English schools have just gone on holiday, I’m being told on every TV channel that summer has just started.

The new Linkin Park song?

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I once saw an elephant paint a picture from its own shit in India.

Take that, HMP Prison Maze inmates.

Presumably that was after sampling a local shroom?

11 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Just wait until you try to reset the points on the car. 

I can scarcely have a conversation with my father without it being mentioned that you can't service your own car these days. This has been going on for about a decade. The auld yins seem utterly incredulous that nobody's still making the cars they grew up driving.

15 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If it's a standard deck mixer. it's cheaper in the long run to replace the tap, you can get decent taps for under £40 these days.

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

If it's a standard deck mixer. it's cheaper in the long run to replace the tap, you can get decent taps for under £40 these days.

The plastic nut on the back of the flush handle split on mine so I went to B&Q to get a new one. Could I buy this oddball plastic nut on it's own? No. I had to buy a whole new handle assembly. Quite apart from the cost, what a huge waste. 

PTTGOYN #2607: I started a new job recently, and the gents lavvie is covered in the most stereotypical knuckle-dragging Old Firm graffiti you could imagine ("youse shag weans", "naw we dinnae, youse dae", etc). Just the most depressing thing this side of finding out how many people still don't understand (or care about) the concept of consent.

Does P&B have any suggestions for an addition that would trigger both cheeks into apoplexy? Asking for a mate.

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

The plastic nut on the back of the flush handle split on mine so I went to B&Q to get a new one. Could I buy this oddball plastic nut on it's own? No. I had to buy a whole new handle assembly. Quite apart from the cost, what a huge waste. 

eBay tends to be your pal for shite like that.

Which I appreciate isn't much use now, or any time you're looking for something the same day.