Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A pal of mine got lifted a couple of weeks ago. Reached the end of his tether, went and sat in the waiting room and when the security door opened he charged through and into a Doctor's room and wouldn't leave.

Done for breach of the peace and obstruction of something or other. Binned from the surgery as well.

There used to be a surgery at the Meadows in Edinburgh run by a GP specifically for 'difficult patients', most of whom had been binned by one or several other surgeries. It was always an experience going there with a service user. Full-time security guard on the door, reception area looked like a court room. Security doors to the GP's, TV cameras everywhere. If you were waiting more than 5 minutes it was guaranteed somebody or something would kick off. 

She was a bit of a local legend for putting up with it all, but she retired a few years back, the surgery closed, and I don't think it's ever been replaced. Maybe that's why nobody can get an appointment at a regular surgery. Too many bams running aboot who can't get a GP to take them on.

I can get repeat prescription online or leave an ansaphone message. The stuff always at nominated chemist and ready within 4 days.

When I phone they will normally arrange a call back, which has always been with 2-3 hours, and if appointment needed it is made and never far in advance. Get calls/messages when reviews are due, or follow ups. 

I can't fault the surgery I'm with as the vast majority of time they are spot on. And reckon it been like that for 4 of the last 5 surgeries I've been with. Must just be lucky.

My Google news feed just now seems filled up with articles with the headline

" Huge 90s band/singer/star looks UNRECOGNISABLE now !! " 

Of course they do it was 30 odd f*cking years ago ! In most cases as well they are still completely recognisable just a bit fatter and greyer. 

3 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Of course they do it was 30 odd f*cking years ago ! In most cases as well they are still completely recognisable just a bit fatter and greyer. 

Or the other one:

What [celebrity] looks like now will SHOCK you

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

No-one knew why this beach photo had everyone laughing…. Thirty wedding photos that you will not believe… Forty celebrities you never knew were gay… A disused wartime tunnel in Glasgow was re-opened and you won’t believe what was found hidden in it (Rangers EBT documents).

Modern life, eh?

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

This is probably more "things that make you want to wreck the place" type thing but whatever.

GP's. I've heard how much of a hassle folk have trying to get near theirs and it always ripped ma knitting.

I phoned my surgery 10 mins ago for a prescription check thing. It's got hours that you phone or you get ignored basically. What a pile of shite.

WIWAL you didn't need an appointment to see your GP. You just went along and sat in the waiting room until it was your turn. There was a rack of keyrings by the door, each with a different letter of the alphabet: when you arrived you took the next one so there was never any argument about whose turn it was next.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I can't recall the last time I made an appointment with my GP.  When my son was a baby we took him in a few times and you always get a quick appointment with an infant, understandably.  

We have an ageing population, the number of GPs is reducing and there are increased waiting lists for the NHS in general, it's all going to add to difficulties getting appointments.  

But it's 10x more difficult for working age people to get appointments for their own conditions than it should be, because the existing system is built around the needs of the coffin-dodger contingent only.

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I couldn’t get a GP appointment for love nor money last time I wanted one. Guy at my work who is a massive Hypochondriac managed to get one because he had a cold somehow, very much a postcode lottery 

The fact he's a hypochondriac I assume he's one of the regulars that know exactly what to say to get an appointment, between c***s like that and pensioners going because they've got nothing better to do with their time it's no wonder nobody can get an appointment. That's not mentioning the receptionists that think they're doctors.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

But it's 10x more difficult for working age people to get appointments for their own conditions than it should be, because the existing system is built around the needs of the coffin-dodger contingent only.

This is true as they've asked me to call back on Monday or Wednesday. The two days I have to be in the office.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

The fact he's a hypochondriac I assume he's one of the regulars that know exactly what to say to get an appointment, between c***s like that and pensioners going because they've got nothing better to do with their time it's no wonder nobody can get an appointment. That's not mentioning the receptionists that think they're doctors.

In the rare occasions I see a doctor the Mrs is always saying while I'm on hold " mind tell them it's an emergency appointment" , apparently only way you can get them to see u on that day , which seems a fairly flawed system when they only take daily appointments ! 

On to your second point the last time I had a need for the Dr I had been gradually developing a shortness of breath untill I had a temperature with sweat constantly lashing off me and could barely walk the length of myself without feeling dizzy . The receptionist taking in all those symptoms then snootily replied " well you certainly won't be getting an appointment just for a high temperature" . Emergency appointment a couple of days later showed I had a serious lung infection that required strong antibiotics. On diagnosis I was advised " you shouldn't have left this so long , this is pretty serious " . 

I thought that my in laws liked me. I really did. 

However as a belated birthday present I get a 10 pack of stubbies. This despite the fact I can't take these on the plane back on Sunday.

Drink them on Saturday I hear you say!

They're fucking non alcoholic nonsense. 

They're getting a bottle of my smelly hungover farts for Christmas. 

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

Aye, damn those auld folk with their kid-on illnesses. They should be out hill-walking or playing squash like the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

Aye, damn those auld folk with their kid-on illnesses. They should be out hill-walking or playing squash like the rest of us.

When the Daily Mail is telling them GP's are getting £500K a year for 10 hours work a week, maybe they're just trying to keep them busy.

The pandemic seems to have been used by surgeries to completely overhaul the way they deal with patients. Our surgery now gives out appointments on a first-come, first served basis at 8:30am on Mondays and Fridays, although sometimes you'll call and they don't have any appointments that week, or are fully booked up by 8:35am. If you do get through in time, the receptionist will ask for the details of your complaint and decide whether or not it's worthy of an appointment. They're not afraid to tell you that your problem isn't going to be imminently fatal, so call back in a week and see if you can get an appointment then.

My son's been trying to get an appointment about an ingrown toenail that's gone from painful, to infected, to smelling like it's rotting within a couple of weeks. It was only when told that he was going to A&E if they they wouldn't see him that they agreed to ask a doctor to look at a couple of emailed photos of the suppurating mess, after which a prescription for an antibiotic was left at reception. No suggestion about how to deal with the actual problem. Myself, I was diagnosed with coccydynia over the phone by a locum doctor I never saw, and who told me there was nothing that could be done until I found the pain was unbearable, after which they'd stick me on a waiting list to have my tailbone removed.

I think the idea is that eejits will get sick of this and assume we'd all be better off with privatised healthcare, not understanding exactly how much it will cost them for the most basic access, a whole host of conditions that aren't covered, and deductibles that will leave insured people paying out for most basic treatments regardless.

No appointments here for the doctor, just turn up between 08:00-17:00.

Give the receptionist your details, name/address, they give you a print out number. Check the screen and watch for your call.

You will also have your temperture and heart rate taken by a nurse, while you wait for the doctor.

If you are child under 15, you go straight to the front of the queue, working age people also get streamlined to the front. All the coffin dodgers can and will wait all day as they have f**k all else to do.

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

No appointments here for the doctor, just turn up between 08:00-17:00.

Give the receptionist your details, name/address, they give you a print out number. Check the screen and watch for your call.

You will also have your temperture and heart rate taken by a nurse, while you wait for the doctor.

If you are child under 15, you go straight to the front of the queue, working age people also get streamlined to the front. All the coffin dodgers can and will wait all day as they have f**k all else to do.

Similar here, except no priority for anyone - 1st come, 1st served.  You'll pay about a tenner per visit plus medicine.  Medicine can be pricey i.e. $100 for a 14-day course of antibiotics.  Many cannot afford it so will buy only half what they need (false economy I know).  

My young lad went to public hospital a couple of times (cut wrist and dog bite) and it was as near as dammit free and not that long to wait <4 hours. I've not yet needed a hospital visit yet. 

I used to think the only thing I missed from the UK was the NHS but now I'm not so sure it's as great as it once was. 

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Similar here, except no priority for anyone - 1st come, 1st served.  You'll pay about a tenner per visit plus medicine.  Medicine can be pricey i.e. $100 for a 14-day course of antibiotics.  Many cannot afford it so will buy only half what they need (false economy I know).  

My young lad went to public hospital a couple of times (cut wrist and dog bite) and it was as near as dammit free and not that long to wait <4 hours. I've not yet needed a hospital visit yet. 

I used to think the only thing I missed from the UK was the NHS but now I'm not so sure it's as great as it once was. 

We have a NHS, free here, even for me (i pay tax).

You can also go private, which I believe is much better in BKK, but very expensive.

I've been in hosptal twice here, firsr time for 5 days and only paid about 20 scottish pounds as I wanted a private room. NHS paid the rest.