Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

For some reason Clacks Council went with Kylie's 'All the Lovers' about a decade ago, and it's still going strong now. Every thirty seconds there's a pre-recorded voice chips in with a "you are in a queue, maybe hang up now if ye dinnae fancy it, eh?" message and the song resets, so you get the same brief clip over and over again. The song also plays at deafening volume, so people on the other side of the room can hear what you're listening to without speakerphone being on. This can go on for half an hour, at which point you're deaf by the time a human answers and you can't hear their muted whispers.

I presume the idea is to get you to hang up and leave them alone; I appreciate the subtlety of using an otherwise decent tune rather than an obvious abomination like The Millennium Prayer, but it has likely ruined that song for everyone round here.

I’m sure I’ve said this on here before but the Student Loans Company (Glasgow, rather than the Yorkshire mob who the Tory c***s sold mine to) had Common People as theirs for a while, which I always appreciated as a nice f**k you. 

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

Our delivery guys stopped ringing the doorbell a while ago. Maybe they’re afraid if they draw attention to themselves they’ll get shot? I’m genuinely perplexed at the absolute absence of knocks or doorbell chimes over the last three or four years of deliveries…unless they feel they’d be wearing their knuckles or fingers off.

We're lucky here in that most families are big, or have a maid in the (few) cases where folk actually work so there's almost always somebody at home IF they actually know the guy's there!

We've been ordering pizza from Grab for over 2 years now,  every 2nd Saturday  and every single time they need to call for directions.  We live in an organised community with street names and numbers etc but they prefer to ignore such stuff and go by their instinct instead! One f****r tried to hit me with an extra delivery charge 2 weeks ago because I typed in the address rather than pin it to the map.  He got told where to go - no pun intended. 

13 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The insistence on the African Nations Cup being referred to as the African Cup of Nations.

Get it right, FFS. It's the TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations!

The missing 'n' on Africa bothers me more than the order of the words TBH.

On 06/01/2024 at 14:01, TxRover said:

Our delivery guys stopped ringing the doorbell a while ago. Maybe they’re afraid if they draw attention to themselves they’ll get shot? I’m genuinely perplexed at the absolute absence of knocks or doorbell chimes over the last three or four years of deliveries…unless they feel they’d be wearing their knuckles or fingers off.

As a former parcel courier whose fingers swell up and hurt like f**k everytime the temperature gets low, I don't blame them. 

I eventually found the handheld scanner off the door made enough noise to be noticed though

36 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Heroes are the only tub of chocolate where everything in it is good. Eclairs and "Dinky Deckers" are comfortably at the bottom but still passable.

A year or two back (they were still foil wrapped in those halcyon days) one of my kids gave me a "customised" tin of Quality Street containing just my favourite strawberry creams and orange creams, which seemed like a great idea until I got about a third of the way through. Who knew too much of a good thing could make you feel sick?

46 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Celebrations>>>>>>>>>>>> heroes

My coach has a severe peanut allergy, but her mum gets her a tub of Celebrations every Christmas.

I left training this morning with all of her potentially fatal Marathons Snickers. The perfect crime.

Supermarkets.

Why the f**k, at the busiest times of the day, do they fee the need to have to wheel out all the cages and trolleys and stock up, or more often than not, just leave the fucking cages sitting blocking aisles.  Utter shambles of an industry with no planning or customer experience consideration. 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Supermarkets.

Why the f**k, at the busiest times of the day, do they fee the need to have to wheel out all the cages and trolleys and stock up, or more often than not, just leave the fucking cages sitting blocking aisles.  Utter shambles of an industry with no planning or customer experience consideration. 

Years of staff/budget cuts chasing a bottom line and artificially inflated pension scheme above everything else means full time staff are at a premium if there's any left at all, with fewer layers of in-store management leading to poorly trained, unsupervised staff who have no stake in the business doing most of the day's work at times of shifts which they're most likely to agree to doing, which will be during the day rather than earlies or lates.

Cheer up, you can sign up for their data harvesting schemes to get your teabags for only 10p more than they were this time last year.

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Years of staff/budget cuts chasing a bottom line and artificially inflated pension scheme above everything else means full time staff are at a premium if there's any left at all, with fewer layers of in-store management leading to poorly trained, unsupervised staff who have no stake in the business doing most of the day's work at times of shifts which they're most likely to agree to doing, which will be during the day rather than earlies or lates.

Cheer up, you can sign up for their data harvesting schemes to get your teabags for only 10p more than they were this time last year.

20+ years ago I started work in a supermarket while at uni as 1 of 16 folk on a late shift that was done almost entirely after closing time. 3 years later that shift of 16 was down to 6 doing the same work around customers due to extended opening hours. F*ck knows what it must be like now , I'm just thankful I work in an industry with a decent union now .