Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Unlucky mate. I've been looking for a part-time job, but everywhere I find says "experience needed". How am I meant to gain experience if you don't give us a job?!

God, ain't that the truth. It's an absolute shambles! How the f**k am I supposed to get experience in retail if noone IN retail gives me it? :angry:

Are you actually applying for these jobs, or looking and going "oh, they want experience" and just not bothering?

Don't ask, don't get, quite simply. Experience doesn't have to be work related. Show some initiative - you ran the tuck shop at school, you've organised the away bus on a few occasions, etc. etc.

Are you actually applying for these jobs, or looking and going "oh, they want experience" and just not bothering?

Don't ask, don't get, quite simply. Experience doesn't have to be work related. Show some initiative - you ran the tuck shop at school, you've organised the away bus on a few occasions, etc. etc.

At school i run a wee racket selling cigarettes,great experience.

At school i run a wee racket selling cigarettes,great experience.

I know someone else who did that. He also sold Shandy Bass in Irn Bru bottles and told everyone it was beer.

I'd tell you it was Adam who did it, but I might get myself into trouble with him, so I'll just say it was an anonymous person.

I've applied for about half a dozen jobs and been rejected because I'm a rookie, or in one case because I said I wouldn't work weekends (which I'm obviously now going to have to sacrifice if I want a job). <_<

God, ain't that the truth. It's an absolute shambles! How the f**k am I supposed to get experience in retail if noone IN retail gives me it? :angry:

What are you applying for?

Nearer Christmas you will find it much easier to get a job.

I've applied for about half a dozen jobs and been rejected because I'm a rookie, or in one case because I said I wouldn't work weekends (which I'm obviously now going to have to sacrifice if I want a job). <_<

Well in that instance, it's your own stupid fault. No offence. ;)

You'll get there eventually, it's just a bit of a slog. Unfortunately, it's the way of things just now, but as Sam says, closer to Christmas, it won't be so bad.

In relation to jobs, there is a job available as a part time sales assistant in my local Sphere and Turret. But, apparently you need to be available 7 days a week. Part time my arse! <_<

Edited by GingerSaint

In relation to jobs, there is a job available as a part time sales assistant in my local Sphere and Turret. But, apparently you need to be available 7 days a week. Part time my arse! <_<

Yeah I'm part time in my job as well but have been known to do 12 hour shifts, as well as 16 days without a day off and 9am starts :(

Money's good though. On good weeks I get over 30 hours and mucho tips.

Well in that instance, it's your own stupid fault. No offence. ;)

You'll get there eventually, it's just a bit of a slog. Unfortunately, it's the way of things just now, but as Sam says, closer to Christmas, it won't be so bad.

Yeah, I knew as such as soon as they said so. :(

But now there are next to no vacancies so I'm going to have to go for night shifts AND weekends. 'king hell.

Reaaallllly?

Yes, you will be available 7 days a week cause you are a bum!

Yeah I'm part time in my job as well but have been known to do 12 hour shifts, as well as 16 days without a day off and 9am starts :(

Money's good though. On good weeks I get over 30 hours and mucho tips.

I have no time to do a 2 hour shift, let alone a 12 hour shift. :o

No wonder no-one will employ you! Weekends are when you're needed most in retail.

I work both Saturday and Sunday, yet still manage to enjoy my Saturday nights etc. The weekend doesn't have to be sacrificed just because you have a job.

Edited by Michael W

There are very few jobs in the retail industry where you won't be expected to work weekends. When I first started working, I had to give up Saturday evenings and all day Sunday. So I missed away games. I no longer work a Saturday at all but still have to work Sundays. Shops are open longer than ever before. I don't know anyone who doesn't work weekends in this line of work.