Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On the whole 'valuation of players' debate, I'd disagree that if he (Steven Whittaker) were in England he would be lower end Premiership. His stock is high because his club is one half of the Old Firm. Based on ability he's a decent SPL defender, but if you listed all of the right-backs in the Championship, i'd reckon there would be at least six-or-so who are better.

It slightly saddens me though, to read that Rangers have had a bid turned down for St.Johnstone midfielder Murray Davidson. And not because it was turned down. It's saddening that the value of the bid was (reportedly) £180,000. For one of Scottish Football's brightest talents (and that's not my opinion, it seems to be a consensus in the game), that bid is embarassing. There's no other word for it. I totally see why a club would want to get the best deal financially for a player they are bidding for (that's completely understandable), but is that a 'fair' bid?

It's similar with a recent failed bid for David Goodwillie. He too, is a very bright young player in Scotland, so is his value really as low as the value which was reported to have been rejected? I know his impending off-field issues will affect a bid, but surely that's on the low side.

All of the fees are only what's in the newspapers, so most don't know the actual values, but is £1m for Goodwillie, £180,000 for Davidson and £1.5m for Wallace a good or fair representation of the talent in Scottish Football?

It's gone mad!

Sorry lad, but that's not right. If a team bids X for a player but their team wants Y, then they're showing good business sense to then bid X+1, X+2 and so on until they find the lowest value the team will sell for. It's nothing to do with fair or unfair.

On the whole 'valuation of players' debate, I'd disagree that if he (Steven Whittaker) were in England he would be lower end Premiership. His stock is high because his club is one half of the Old Firm. Based on ability he's a decent SPL defender, but if you listed all of the right-backs in the Championship, i'd reckon there would be at least six-or-so who are better.

It slightly saddens me though, to read that Rangers have had a bid turned down for St.Johnstone midfielder Murray Davidson. And not because it was turned down. It's saddening that the value of the bid was (reportedly) £180,000. For one of Scottish Football's brightest talents (and that's not my opinion, it seems to be a consensus in the game), that bid is embarassing. There's no other word for it. I totally see why a club would want to get the best deal financially for a player they are bidding for (that's completely understandable), but is that a 'fair' bid?

It's similar with a recent failed bid for David Goodwillie. He too, is a very bright young player in Scotland, so is his value really as low as the value which was reported to have been rejected? I know his impending off-field issues will affect a bid, but surely that's on the low side.

All of the fees are only what's in the newspapers, so most don't know the actual values, but is £1m for Goodwillie, £180,000 for Davidson and £1.5m for Wallace a good or fair representation of the talent in Scottish Football?

It's gone mad!

I know LM :( . I always have coffee before I go to bed. It's just sometimes I go through a couple of weeks at a time where I always have nighmares.

Even if I refrain from having tea/coffee before I go to bed, they still happen.

Here we go again :(

Two PTTGOMNs at the moment:

1. I am on nightshift and half-dead, as I didn't manage to get any sleep yesterday during the day

which hopefully explains why...

2. ...I've just heard Olly Murs' new single and really liked it :ph34r:

I know you're frustrated at having to do it, rather than at the people you're doing it to, but you can understand their frustration. Precedent counts for a lot in these cases, and I think that these people have a point.

You're quite right - it's not the people I'm getting annoyed at, it's just at having to have the same conversation fifty times a day.

The one thing that does annoy me about the people is this part:

Them: "Ah've received uh letter fae the cooncil the day sayin' ah've been owerpaid."

Me: "Do you have the letter with you, I'll have a look?"

Them: "Nut, ah left it up the hoose."

Oh gee thanks, that's really helpful.

Anyway, today's:

I started playing golf three months ago and started playing Grangemouth Golf Club, as I could play it for free with my student's leisure card. When I finished Uni in May I joined properly.

Since then I've been playing once or twice a week. Now one of the conditions of joining says that I can sign unlimited guests in for half-price (normally it would be about thirty quid for a weekend round for a pay-at-the-day member), and to put it bluntly I'm starting to think two of my mates are taking the piss.

I've been getting them on for half price about every weekend but I don't want the pro to think that we're just taking the piss by them not bothering to join or anything like that and they're happy just to keep paying half-price. Now one of them has text me asking if his brother-in-law can play tomorrow as well - meaning I'd be signing in three guests.

Grr!

Anyway, today's:

I started playing golf three months ago and started playing Grangemouth Golf Club, as I could play it for free with my student's leisure card. When I finished Uni in May I joined properly.

Since then I've been playing once or twice a week. Now one of the conditions of joining says that I can sign unlimited guests in for half-price (normally it would be about thirty quid for a weekend round for a pay-at-the-day member), and to put it bluntly I'm starting to think two of my mates are taking the piss.

I've been getting them on for half price about every weekend but I don't want the pro to think that we're just taking the piss by them not bothering to join or anything like that and they're happy just to keep paying half-price. Now one of them has text me asking if his brother-in-law can play tomorrow as well - meaning I'd be signing in three guests.

Grr!

Unless there's difficulty getting a tee time, I don't see the problem. The club is still getting cash they otherwise wouldn't. £30 is a bit steep for a shit course. Up here we can play Castle Stewart for £50 a round.

Unless there's difficulty getting a tee time, I don't see the problem. The club is still getting cash they otherwise wouldn't. £30 is a bit steep for a shit course. Up here we can play Castle Stewart for £50 a round.

There's no difficulty it's just that they expect me to do it every weekend for them that annoys me.

It's actually a pretty decent course, very challenging and very-well maintained considering it's a half-municipal course. Of all the courses I've played around Falkirk it's the best one I've played, although I haven't played much away from Falkirk.

My mrs, who is a celtic fan (reason enough for a pttgoyn),follows John Hartson on twitter. She showed me a pic from his twitter visiting a young cancer patient in a hospice, who hartson has become friends with. Then she showed me a tweet from a total arsehole making a awful remark about the young boy. I know footballers put themselves up there to be shot down when they go on twitter and such, but , to slag off a boy with terminal cancer from behind a monitor really is the lowest of the low.

Edited by saint dave

John Hartson was in my local last night in Musselburgh. Says he can't go out in Glasgow because he gets too much hassle. Nice guy.

Nice one, whereabouts is your local mate? we usually go to staggs or the levenhall arms

Edited to add - it's sad that he cant enjoy a night out in glasgow, you'd think the idiots what he's been through and put the daft stuff aside.

Edited by philpy

People who support SFL clubs who say things like "I've heard this rumour from several sources".

One bloke made up a rumour in the pub, told two other blokes, who both told you. It's not like Man Utd or Chelsea, where there are hundreds of people who are involved in decisions and actions, so that leaks are inevitable. It's a small club where 3 men meet every other week, and aren't exactly the type to go telling Fat Al that Leicester have put in a bid of four and a half million for the captain of the Under 19s, "but keep it to yourself".

People who support SFL clubs who say things like "I've heard this rumour from several sources".

One bloke made up a rumour in the pub, told two other blokes, who both told you. It's not like Man Utd or Chelsea, where there are hundreds of people who are involved in decisions and actions, so that leaks are inevitable. It's a small club where 3 men meet every other week, and aren't exactly the type to go telling Fat Al that Leicester have put in a bid of four and a half million for the captain of the Under 19s, "but keep it to yourself".

One of my mates is a surgical nurse and the surgeon he trained under was (apparently) really good friends with both David Murray and John Reid.

This surgeon used to tell my mate all the time the most outlandish rumours to do with Rangers and Celtic, which he would then relay onto us (despite not many of my mates being Rangers or Celtic fans). Of course, without exception they would turn out to be complete codswallop which resulted in many a slagging for my mate.

The best was a few years ago when McGeady had signed for Barcelona for £12.3m, but the club "aren't allowed to publicise it, but it's a done deal, everything's been signed".

He (rather sensibly) keeps this drivel to himself now.

My driving theory test is tomorrow and I can't pass a practice test, I know the stuff it's not difficult, I just keep getting 42/50. Anyway I'm more a test than revision person anyway.

At least I hope I still rise to the challenge.