Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

People that say they're from Glasgow but then get pissed off when you call them a Weegie.

If you're from Kilbarchan then just say that ffs.

Maybe because "weegie" is a term only used outside Glasgow, I don't think of myself as a weegie, or know anyone from Glasgow that does, anyone here will tell you they are glaswegian

* I don't get upset when i do get referred to as a weegie over on the east

Maybe because "weegie" is a term only used outside Glasgow, I don't think of myself as a weegie, or know anyone from Glasgow that does, anyone here will tell you they are glaswegian

* I don't get upset when i do get referred to as a weegie over on the east

I was referring more to people from e.g. Renfrew who say 'Glasgow' because they presume others from outside their area know know f*** all about Scottish Geography, I've met plenty of these folk at uni during the initial "what's your name, what are you studying and where do you come from stage". Nobody up here who lives in e.g. Portlethen or Stonehaven would say 'Aberdeen' if a Weegie asked where they lived. Usually the reply to 'Portlethen' would be "eh?" though. Despite the stereotypes, we have ventured beyond Stirling. tongue.gif

If you want to tell the world you're from Glasgow, accept the consequences.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I was referring more to people from e.g. Renfrew who say 'Glasgow' because they presume others from outside their area know know f*** all about Scottish Geography, I've met plenty of these folk at uni during the initial "what's your name, what are you studying and where do you come from stage". Nobody up here who lives in e.g. Portlethen or Stonehaven would say 'Aberdeen' if a Weegie asked where they lived. Usually the reply to 'Portlethen' would be "eh?" though. Despite the stereotypes, we have ventured beyond Stirling. tongue.gif

I agree with you on that point, I remember being on a night out in Edinburgh a bit pished, overheard a guy telling a group of people he was from Glasgow

So naturally in my drunken state i asked, where in Glasgow was he from, the answer i got was "Airdrie" I pointed out that was not Glasgow, he started to get angry as the group just laughed at him and he thought i was trying to take the piss.

I do accept the consequences, along with the stabbing :ph34r:

So naturally in my drunken state i asked, where in Glasgow was he from, the answer i got was "Airdrie" I pointed out that was not Glasgow, he started to get angry as the group just laughed at him and he thought i was trying to take the piss.

TBF, if I was from Airdrie then I'd probably try to keep that hush whilst mingling with the civilised types. Glasgow ironically sounds like a good way to dodge the bullet.

Coming from Grangemouth but having lived dan sath most of my life I just say "between Edinburgh and Glasgow". Then they say where, "Grangemouth", where's that, "near Falkirk", where's that, "do you know Stirling?" Oh, you're a Highlander then. "Yeah, ok".

Coming from Grangemouth but having lived dan sath most of my life I just say "between Edinburgh and Glasgow". Then they say where, "Grangemouth", where's that, "near Falkirk", where's that, "do you know Stirling?" Oh, you're a Highlander then. "Yeah, ok".

"Ken that big plume of steam along the Forth?"

"Aye."

"There."

Eta: Just realised you're probably talking about people Dan Sath, huh?. You've probably got folk in Glasgow who don't know where it is tbf.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Got a person at work today who has turned into the 'sigh complainer'

You know, the dick who sighs at everything and anything. He gets up and there's a sigh, opens up an email and there's a sigh, even just when there is nothing happening.....there a sigh. Just told him it could be worse so to button up....

...he sighed at that, may be in jail over Christmas as the chair is starting to look like a suitable weapon right now.

Didn't King George or somebody say the Highlands started at Greenock, possibly for taxation reasons? Or have I made that up?

Geologically, Greenock is really close to the Highland Boundary Fault, just on the 'Midland Valley' side. Runs up NE and pops out just north of Stonehaven and goes somewhere under Arran at the far SW, obscured by the big 'Sleeping Warrior' granite pluton that's popped along along it. Note how Stirling's hardly near the highlands. Of course, Stirling was the main crossing to the north. If you wanted to travel to the highlands with something that couldn't cross the hills or the river then Stirling Bridge it had to be, hence the big castle sitting on a rather nice Carboniferous volcanic plug looking over it and running the show.

highroc.jpg

I like to think this explains why the Highland League is called just that despite most clubs playing in 'Grampian', not the Highlands administrative area.

Edited by Hedgecutter

You'll have to learn to trust again Swampy. It'll get better, really. blink.gif

I have developed a reputation on P&B for being a bit of a sourpuss. In fact I'm very trusting and welcoming. I just think you're talking absolute shite. It never happened, did it?